PDA

View Full Version : Glaser gloat

Bill Wyko
07-20-2011, 2:20 PM
I just recieved my Glaser Hitec 15V bowl gouge. Of course as soon as I got home I kissed the wife and headed out to the shop. The first thing I did, as I always do with new turning tools, is put it on the Jet wet sharpener. Just for fun I weighed it on a postal scale and compaired it to my Crown Elsworth PM. The Pro Pm weighed in at 1.7 lbs and the Glaser weighed in at 3.2 lbs. The handle of the Glaser has a dampening material inside the handle. I found that to make an incredible difference in the feel and its ability to cut through what would normally be a catch. What I also noticed was the dampening allows me to have a much better feel for the cut. When the vibration is eliminated all thats left is the feel of the cut. Really allowed me to make very light cuts and know exactly what the tool is doing. Another test I did was to really dig deep to remove a lot of material. What I found now was the tools ability to cut right past what would normally be a horrible catch. I could tell that the dampened handle had a flywheel effect that made it cut right past the spot in question. Another thing I really love about this tool that I never even considered, is that I can set it down and it doesn't roll away. The shape of the handle really allows my hand to form to it. Very comfortable and easily controlled. Kind of gives me a zero point to start from so I always know what angle the cut is. I will probably buy a second one to do an elsworth grind on. I have to say, this will become my go to tool. It's just incredible to feel such control and balance. Anyway, I'll shut up now. Please enjoy. :D
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23853368/397776092.jpg
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23853368/397776090.jpg
Kind of cool that they personalized the tool for me.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2109/11908737/23853368/397776094.jpg

Marty Eargle
07-20-2011, 3:09 PM
Congrats! That is a fine, fine looking tool. I've been drooling over a few Glaser gouges for some time now...hopefully I'll convince myself to make the leap soon.

Jon Prouty
07-20-2011, 3:37 PM
nice tool!!! They are on my list too. Probably hit them up later this year when it is turning weather.

JP

Bill Wyko
07-20-2011, 3:44 PM
A really nice thing to see as well is the wonderful writing that says "100% Made in America." How often do we get to see that these days. I believe they really go the extra mile to make the best tools possible. I was turning a Eucalyptus burl for a turning contest I'm in. I was very concerned about checking and punky wood but I had no problem at all.

Steve Kubien
07-20-2011, 4:53 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it come to with the handle?

Harvey M. Taylor
07-20-2011, 5:18 PM
Bill, sent you a pm but your box is full.have a couple questions concerning the Glaser handle. Max

Bill Wyko
07-20-2011, 5:55 PM
My in box has had issues for a while now. It's actually empty. You can e-mail me at bill@humidorminister.com. On their website I believe it runs 219.00.

David E Keller
07-20-2011, 7:03 PM
That's great, Bill! Thanks for not going into detail about how awesome it is... That would just be cruel!:D

Bill Wyko
07-20-2011, 8:55 PM
Sorry, I get excited when a tool is actually made with the idea that quality comes first. What a concept. I also do reviews on cigars so I think my reviewing techniques are rubbing off into my tool reviews. Nothing like a good cigar with a little wood work.:D

Harvey Ghesser
07-20-2011, 9:25 PM
Bill, glad you got your Glaser. Turning will never be the same again!:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Congrats on a fine looking tool Bill.

Bill Wyko
08-05-2011, 5:45 PM
Bill, glad you got your Glaser. Turning will never be the same again!:D

Harvey, you are so right. I've been turning with my PM Crown Elsworth for years. when I put it down and pick up the Glaser, it's like raising my skill level the second I touch the wood. A whole different experience. The weight is truly a great feature. The cut is like warm butter. stays sharp too.:D

Steve Schlumpf
08-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Bill - Congrats on your new gouge! Sure looks pretty! Glad to see you are already having fun with it!!