PDA

View Full Version : Help with getting a thread going on Japan Black Lacquer

robert raess
07-20-2011, 1:32 PM
I started a thread about Urushi and Cashew paint.Jake Antonelli used the latter on a pc. in AAW 2007 vol. no. 22.I am trying to learn as much as i can, and the info is sparse and the materials are all in Japan.I'm looking for alternatives, avail. in the US, that would handle food or drink but would have the look and feel of Urushi.Please check my thread on "project finishing"..Thanks Rob [title is Urushi}

Dave Mueller
07-20-2011, 2:46 PM
Rob,
I have been using black paint on several of my pieces recently and like the urethane bumper paint you can get at the auto paint store. It will produce a fairly flat black finish which can be buffed out to a high gloss if you choose. It comes in a rattle can, is very easy to apply and being a urethane it is very durable. I don't know about it being compatible with food, but urethane is kid safe for cribs.

robert raess
07-20-2011, 5:07 PM
Good suggestion,i'll give it a whirl.Looks like a nice soft luster.

Eric Holmquist
07-20-2011, 6:06 PM
It's not the Japanese method, but I've found that Black Gesso makes a super opaque and flat black to put on a piece which can then be followed up by the finish of your choice. See my Evolution of Flame thread to see an example in my Witches Cauldron which has Black Gesso and gloss Wipe-on-Poly.

Jon Nuckles
07-20-2011, 6:25 PM
Rob, Woodwork magazine had an article on fuki urushi by Andrew Curle in issue 101 from October 2006. He offered information on urushi, including help with purchase. I don't know if the email he listed in the article is still current, but I will pm it to you. He also listed a direct source for purchase as Watanabe-Syoten, which specializes in Japanese lacquer materials.