PDA

View Full Version : 1st Anniversary...time flies

Kathy Marshall
07-20-2011, 3:34 AM
Just realized I have passed my 1st anniversary of turning. It was right about this time last year that I took the beginners turning class at Woodcraft to get ready to start using my lathe.
Took a trip down memory lane (have folders and folders of pics of all my turnings) and found some of my 1sts. Couldn't find the pic of my very first (a bonker).

The little box is my 1st box and 1st hollowing 5 1/2 x 3 1/2, turned on July 25th 2010. The entire piece was done with a spindle gouge (before I figured out the difference between spindle and bowl gouges). My mom confiscated this one and uses it for a salt box.

The cup thingy was turned on Aug 4th, 2010, 5 x 3 and again turned entirely with a spindle gouge.

The last was my first goblet turned on Aug 11th, 2010, 8 1/2 x 3 1/2 and I believe this is where I started using a bowl gouge (also used a scraper on this one).

There are all the same dunno wood.

It's an eye opener to see where I began and where I am now, and I've enjoyed every minute of the ride!

Rick Markham
07-20-2011, 4:01 AM
Hehe, One year huh? I thought I was the only one who has totally gone overboard and into the deep end this quickly :D. Glad to be on this adventure with ya!

Quite fine specimens of the elusive dunnowood. Pretty awesome looking back at first turnings :)

Tim Thiebaut
07-20-2011, 6:44 AM
Congrats Kathy, you have come a long way in just a year! Be interesting to see where the next year takes you...

@Rick - No your not the only one Rick...when I think of how much money I have spent the past 6 months on turning...well it will make a person pucker I tell ya. I have turned some very expensive lidded boxes and HF's when you figure in the cost so far!!! but worth every single pennie!

John Keeton
07-20-2011, 7:05 AM
Happy Anniversary, Kathy!!

David E Keller
07-20-2011, 7:15 AM
Wow! I didn't realize you'd only been turning a year... Amazing progess! Looking forward to seeing what year two brings!

Roger Chandler
07-20-2011, 7:57 AM
Wow..........the vortex has taken you far, and taken you fast on this ride! congratulations on a first year. Your skills are considerable for a year, and it will certainly be interesting to see what you accomplish in the upcoming year..........if you make progress at the same or an accelerated rate, then look out world!

Doug W Swanson
07-20-2011, 9:22 AM
Kathy,
You've only been turning a year? You sure have mastered it already!

charlie knighton
07-20-2011, 9:35 AM
congratulations, enjoy the future

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Congratulations Kathy! Here's to many more anniversaries with as much enjoyment as possible as you travel within the vortex.

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Congrats Kathy. Hoping you have many more years of turning filled with joy. It is pretty cool to take the firsts and compare them now.

Scott Hackler
07-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Congrats on NOT resisting the vortex! :) You have made incredible progress over this last year. I can't wait to see what another years worth of skills brings!

Cathy Schaewe
07-20-2011, 11:29 AM
You've come a heck of a long way - I can't wait to see what you'll be turning out (pun intended) in another year!

Keith E Byrd
07-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Congratulations on your one year anniversary!
Having only been into this for about 8-9 months (and 8-9 buckets of money!) I am impressed with what you have accomplished in only a year! I am no where near making the kind of progress you have made! I thought all along that your turnings were based on years of experience!

Ed Morgano
07-20-2011, 4:40 PM
Kathy,
I've looked at the post where you cleaned your shop and found about 1000 bowls on your workbench. I had no idea that you had only been turning for a year. My question is this: Have you slept any since you started turning? Or is this a 24-7 venture for you? Or do you have a woodturning FACTORY?.. All I can say is you need to slow down and give the rest of us a chance to catch up. Seriously, good to see you're recovering and working again. Nice job on the pierced vase by the way.

Josh Bowman
07-20-2011, 7:35 PM
You've come a long ways! Great job.

Tim Thiebaut
07-20-2011, 7:57 PM
Kathy,
I've looked at the post where you cleaned your shop and found about 1000 bowls on your workbench. I had no idea that you had only been turning for a year. My question is this: Have you slept any since you started turning? Or is this a 24-7 venture for you? Or do you have a woodturning FACTORY?.. All I can say is you need to slow down and give the rest of us a chance to catch up. Seriously, good to see you're recovering and working again. Nice job on the pierced vase by the way.

Elves....she must have helper Elves!

Michael James
07-20-2011, 8:43 PM
Kathy, you have all the natural talent to go anywhere your imagination and creative drive desire to go. I hope you honor it and exceed your wildest expectaions!
a fan a little east of you.....YOU GO GIRL! ;)
Michael

Rick Markham
07-20-2011, 9:22 PM
Kathy,

She's a machine, she has a chainsaw for one hand, a gouge for the other, and a heart of gold ;)

Jeff Fagen
07-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Well you could have fooled me,just goes to show you some have a talent and flair for whatever they get into.Keep up the good work Kathy.

Vince Welch
07-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Looks like your having fun Kathy!!!
\
Vince

Kathy Marshall
07-21-2011, 2:09 AM
Thanks everyone for all the kind words! It's been a great ride so far and I hope to never see the end of it!

Kathy,

Thanks Ed!
Sleep might be overrated lol, I find the older I get, the less I need. I wouldn't call it a 24-7 (unfortunately I still need to work to feed the vortex!), but being single means the only claim to my free time is mine, and I spend it doing what I love to do!