PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle!

Kathy Marshall
07-20-2011, 1:22 AM
I've been taking it easy, following Dr's orders and the healing is going well. Dr said I could start light activity/excersize after a week and turning sure seems to fit that bill for me!

So on Monday I cut off a blank from the chunk of Ambrosia Maple that Roger sent me, and turned this hf. Then today I went back to the shop to do the piercing and finishing.
Turned out to be a really nice piece of ambrosia maple, had a few bark inclusion, some nice grain and even some curl. Thanks Roger!
It's 6 1/4" x 4" and just has a coat of BLO so far. I think I'll go with WOP and then knock it down with steel wool for more of a satin finish.

I'm not sure that I'm happy with the piercing. I did the rim first with a small bit and when it came time to do the shoulder, I knew it was going to take about 3 times as long to do, so I decided to go with a bigger bit (still took about 4 hours for all the piercing). But since this is only my 2nd pierced piece, I'm still learning and trying different things.

Now for a little stealth gloat!

Monday morning I was sitting on the couch when I heard a double thunk landing on the porch. Went out to investigate and found 2 priority boxes :D.

With my recovery consisting of mostly sitting or laying on the couch, what better way to pass the time than doing a little internet shopping!
On thursday night I placed an order with Doug Thompson, I ordered a 1/2 U bowl gouge, a 1/4" detail gouge and a 16" handle. Used the 1/2" on the hf and it cuts nice, just need to get used to the different bevel angle. Haven't tried out the detail gouge yet, but I'm sure it wont be long.
I also placed an order with CSUSA and ordered a decorating elf (with all 3 cutters), the coving tool and the point tool. I'm sure I'll be giving it a try in the next few days.

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Rick Markham
07-20-2011, 1:55 AM
Hooray for recovery!!! Hooray for new toys too!! Great looking come back, by the way. I really like the form and your design with the piercing. Y'all and your piercing, maybe one day I will save up enough for an aircompressor and a NSK Presto... ugh... deeper down the spiral I go :)

Tim Thiebaut
07-20-2011, 6:52 AM
Very glad to hear you are recovering well Kathy!! Cool set of thompson stuff you have there now to! Please let us know how you like that Elf, I have been considering grabbing one of these and would like to see what it can do. Dont over do it to soon, take your time and go easy until your %100.

John Keeton
07-20-2011, 6:59 AM
Nothing like a load of tools to speed the healing process!! Frame of mind is critical to proper cell metabolism.

I really like the form, Kathy. Not sure about the piercing on this one, but you did a nice job of it. Very nice wood!

Russell Eaton
07-20-2011, 7:25 AM
Kathy glad to hear you are on the mend. I like the toos almost as much as the turning. Don't over do it and look forward to your next post.

Roger Chandler
07-20-2011, 7:47 AM
Well Kathy..........so glad you are doing well after your surgery.............nice gloat as well.....who does not like new toys to play with? :D

I like the form you did.........that piece of ambrosia maple had a good bit of character in it.........very nice form you put on that..........I.R.M. pressed! :) I have not gotten brave enough to try piercing yet...........

Nice job all around! Don't overdo it all at once.........just kinda ease back into it! ;)

Tim Thiebaut
07-20-2011, 8:35 AM
Well I have been looking at this piece again, I like the form, but have been studying the pierceing and this could be completely out there but to me I think if the area where the pierceing is, both the smaller up top and the larger ones below, if they had a clearly defined border it would work better for me. Maybe the wood where the pierceing is could be set just a "1/16 or so deeper then the rest of the vessel so there is a defined area for it. I could be completely wrong here but this is just what I see when I look at this.

charlie knighton
07-20-2011, 9:44 AM
very nice, i like the form tapering down to small foot, heal fast

Tim Rinehart
07-20-2011, 9:57 AM
Kathy, that's a cool form and nice piercings. I like how you did the lower ones larger too, showing proportionality. Whoa...that's a big word..just slipped out.
I saw Tim T's comment about the bordering, and he may have something. I think about trying to pierce something (haven't done any in over a year) and my first thoughts are usually how to border it. Simple pyro work or other texture??
Hey, it's very nice how it is, and given how nice that piece of wood is, it could be a distraction to add much more.
Hurry up on your healing, and resist temptations to overdo it.

Michael James
07-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Excellent news on the bounce back, I know sometimes it's hard to be patient. Congrats on the new tools, and I like the HF alot - beautiful job on a nice chunk of wood. Keep em coming!
mj

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Kathy glad to hear things are going well and you are healing. Nice to hear you are back in the shop. I like this piece and the form. I do like the piercings.

wes murphy
07-20-2011, 10:38 AM
I love the vase, Kathy. But I'm not much on piercings.

Jeff Fagen
07-20-2011, 10:54 AM
You really uncovered a beautiful piece.

Dennis Ford
07-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Glad you are turning again. The vase looks great, I like the piercing with small openings at the mouth and larger openings at the shoulder.

Keith E Byrd
07-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Welcome back and glad the recovery is going well - don't over do!
I ordered some of Doug's tools too. They arrived on Monday 7/18, my wife confiscated them before I got home and will not give them to me until Friday - something about "since they were meant for your birthday you can wait till your birthday!" Am anxious to try them out - will see what Friday night holds!

David E Keller
07-20-2011, 6:58 PM
Congrats on your new toys, Kathy! I hope your recovery continues to be uneventful... Nice work on that vase piece!

Harry Robinette
07-20-2011, 8:24 PM
Kathy
Glad your recovering quickly,I'm taking care of LOML she had Knee replacement.The HF looks really good an I like the piercings both top and mid-way. Hope everything works out DON"T push it everything needs time to heal.

Kathy Marshall
07-21-2011, 2:34 AM
Thanks everyone for all the kind comments and suggestions!

Hooray for recovery!!! Hooray for new toys too!! Great looking come back, by the way. I really like the form and your design with the piercing. Y'all and your piercing, maybe one day I will save up enough for an aircompressor and a NSK Presto... ugh... deeper down the spiral I go :)
An NSK Presto would be nice and probably make the piercing a bit easier, but I've just been doing it with my Dremell and it work ok. I might consider investing in the NSK Presto in the future if I get heavily into piercing, unfortunately my wish list is growing quicker than my income lol.

Nothing like a load of tools to speed the healing process!! Frame of mind is critical to proper cell metabolism.

I really like the form, Kathy. Not sure about the piercing on this one, but you did a nice job of it. Very nice wood!

That was my thought John, a happy patient is a healing patient, so I thought to give myself an extra dose of happy! :D

Well I have been looking at this piece again, I like the form, but have been studying the pierceing and this could be completely out there but to me I think if the area where the pierceing is, both the smaller up top and the larger ones below, if they had a clearly defined border it would work better for me. Maybe the wood where the pierceing is could be set just a "1/16 or so deeper then the rest of the vessel so there is a defined area for it. I could be completely wrong here but this is just what I see when I look at this.
Thanks Tim! I actually thought about turning some lines to border the piercings, but by the time I got to that point the piece had warped just enough to put it out of round so I would never be able to get a nice even cut. I never thought of turning a depression for the pierced area, but I think that could work well. It also got me to thinking of other ways to highlite the pierced areas like maybe coloring those areas black or brown, or doing colored borders or even gilding the borders. Lots of different things to think about and maybe give a try! Thanks for the suggestions and helping to get the wheels turning!

Rick Markham
07-21-2011, 4:53 AM
Trust me I know the feeling Kathy! My bank account is very very very angry at me. But I have a plan! (and no it doesn't include only eating ramen noodles to support my turning) :D