PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter's Magic Wand

BILL DONAHUE
07-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Was asked by someone to donate something to a charity auction. Gave them a couple of pendants my daughters had made necklaces for and then had this idea for a piece of ebony that sat in my garage for over a year. Only took a few minutes and was just buffed and waxed. I thought that the popularity of the movie would make for an easy sell, but my wife just informed me that "the wand chooses the wizard." Oh well!

Tim Thiebaut
07-20-2011, 12:44 AM
I wondered if we would see one or more of these now that the new movie is out, you did a great job on this one, really like the wood you made it from to.

Andrew Arndts
07-20-2011, 12:49 AM
Well it not a total loss, perhaps you can create a tall finial for a box.

Kathy Marshall
07-20-2011, 1:34 AM
Looks great Bill! I'm sure the right wizard will be at the auction to be chosen by your wand!

Dan Hintz
07-20-2011, 6:18 AM
Where did you get the feather?! ;)

John Keeton
07-20-2011, 7:12 AM
Bill, I like the flow on this one - nice spindle work! The ebony looks light in color - very nice.

Jerry Rhoads
07-20-2011, 8:59 AM
Sweet looking wand Bill

Jerry

BILL DONAHUE
07-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Just got back from the ARC auction and the wand sold for $100. The purchaser wanted my business card because he collects wands and wants another. The two necklaces, which were along the lines of those in an article I wrote for "Woodturning Design" last February, sold for $40 and $50. There were entirely too many jokes made about the fact that I'm a financial advisor and whether or not the magic wand was used in my job. I started feeling like Rodney Dangerfield.

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Looks good Bill.

Michael James
07-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Just got back from the ARC auction and the wand sold for $100. The purchaser wanted my business card because he collects wands and wants another. The two necklaces, which were along the lines of those in an article I wrote for "Woodturning Design" last February, sold for $40 and $50. There were entirely too many jokes made about the fact that I'm a financial advisor and whether or not the magic wand was used in my job. I started feeling like Rodney Dangerfield.
Chuckling all the way to bank, I hope! One of those is on my to do list for a co-worker. -hope it turns out 1/2 as nice as that one, but will be less dramatic wood for sure.

Sean Hughto
07-21-2011, 9:13 AM
Nice work. My daughter (10) asked me to turn a few for her and her friends to play with. I made one from cherry, another form vera, and the nicest from ebony. It was definitely fun and quick. They seemed to like them. Yours is really well done and certainly more polished than my efforts.