PDA

View Full Version : GX 7000 Ricoh

Amy Shelton
07-19-2011, 5:59 PM
The power-up issue has happened. It won't turn on. It's still under warranty and they will send me 2 free ink tanks, plus a new (not refurbished) printer. The warranty for the new printer begins at the sale date of the old printer, so in Nov or Dec, I'll need to get an extended warranty from where I purchased it. My sales rep made me aware of the problem when I bought it. It sounds like a widespread problem with this model.

Marty, I wrote you a msg about it, but your private msg storage is full. Clean out the cobwebs! lol

The good news is that I am caught up on my dye sub stuff, and should receive the replacement printer this week. I was just doing a couple of jobs for family.

Terry Swift
07-21-2011, 1:07 PM
Amy,

Not aware there was such an issue with the Ricoh. I've been told by virutally everyone to "never" turn the printer off. I know that sometimes that is a necessity if moving it, etc. - but I have not had an issue with mine since Jan '11. Sorry to hear you're having issues and that Ricoh is taking care of it. Would yours be an early model?

Martin Boekers
07-21-2011, 1:51 PM
[QUOTE=Amy Shelton;1744452].

Marty, I wrote you a msg about it, but your private msg storage is full. Clean out the cobwebs! lol

QUOTE]

Cleaned up and noted! :o

I haven't turned mine off in the couple years I have had it. Maybe lucky.

I rarely recommend things any more as quality issues aboud everywhere.
I do love this printer though.

Amy, The inbox is now open! lol

Larry Bratton
07-21-2011, 8:29 PM
If you guys are not members of http: //www.t-shirtforums.com/ you should be. There is a very good dye sub forum there to which the reps for Conde and JP monitor and participate in. The Ricoh problem has been widely discussed there. When I bought my Ricoh, I considered the 7000 but after reading all the bad press on it, I decided to buy the smaller one as a starter. Check it out.
What I don't understand is that this problem is apparently something that has been going on for some time and the fix for it is to "buy an extended warranty". Go figure that one out.

Gary Malone
07-23-2011, 1:23 PM
Same issue here, I am looking at a 2 year old Ricoh 7000 sitting on a shelf below my new 3300. Power went out about 6 months ago and I hate to just throw it in the trash. 3300 has just as good quality of print, just not as big of format which I really didn't need anyway, I just liked the speed and the 3300 wasn't made at the time of purchase.

Amy Shelton
07-23-2011, 4:23 PM
Terry, mine was (still is) a new model... I kept it turned on almost all the time. But if the power goes off for a few seconds, the printer turns off and if I happen to not notice it, it can be off for days. The day before, we had to flip the breakers off to do some rewiring in the building. I have heard this is more of an issue for people who don't print often, and I fall into that category.

Larry, I have learned a lot from the t-shirt forum, too. It's wonderful how accessible the tech support for dye sub is on that forum.

Gary, I feel the same way about not throwing it away. If there's some way to get it operational, even using regular inks, that would be great. I've only used the extra large paper once. But I'll need to dye sub some 12" x 12" tiles sometime.

Larry Bratton
08-09-2011, 8:19 PM
If anybody is interested and not following it, that thread on the 7000 is really getting heated up over there. Seems it has to do with the ink being supplied by Sawgrass that is making the boards go out on the printers. There are ink carts out there with specific dates that have apparently been the cause of this. If you have a 7000 and have not checked it out, please do.

Albert Nix
08-10-2011, 9:04 AM
On my third 7000. The last one was after they fixed the problem. Both failed before the original warranty went out. I felt that I needed to buy the extended warranty. Bad thing was, when I bought the first one a one year factory extended warranty was about a $100 and the two yr was like $149. After all the problem they told us that ricoh would not sell an extended warranty if they were being used for dye sub. So now the distributor has thier own warranty and they charge $200 for one yr. I hate to look at extended warranty prices. Its not hard to figure how they come up with a figure. By the time they figure the cost of parts and an average travel expense and salary for a tech then factor in the number of expected failures. The more problems they are having, the more you will pay.

Larry Bratton
08-10-2011, 6:56 PM
On my third 7000. The last one was after they fixed the problem. Both failed before the original warranty went out. I felt that I needed to buy the extended warranty. Bad thing was, when I bought the first one a one year factory extended warranty was about a $100 and the two yr was like $149. After all the problem they told us that ricoh would not sell an extended warranty if they were being used for dye sub. So now the distributor has thier own warranty and they charge $200 for one yr. I hate to look at extended warranty prices. Its not hard to figure how they come up with a figure. By the time they figure the cost of parts and an average travel expense and salary for a tech then factor in the number of expected failures. The more problems they are having, the more you will pay.

That printer/ink combination is a BAD product. Someone, somewhere knows the answer to it. What they do about it hinges on how much money it's going to cost them. One should not have to buy an extended warranty to protect themselves against a bad product, especially when the manufacture's know it's bad. I believe that the Ricoh printer, designed for a OEM ink system and not someone else's ink is justified in not selling an extended warranty if those inks are used. After all, Ricoh is not in the business of manufacturing sublimation printers. They could care less about sublimation. Truth be known, it is probably a very small part of their overall business. So, I think you folks that are unlucky enough to own a 7700 for sublimation should be looking to Sawgrass to fix the problem. I bought the smaller 3300 and it has been good so far, but I think when I expand my system I am going to an Epson printer with Cobra inks.

Martin Boekers
08-10-2011, 8:23 PM
The problem lies that Sawgrass has a patent on inks. They don't manufacture a printer for them so they work around existing printers.
All printer manufactures will not guarentee their printers if they find you don't use their brand of ink be it dye sub or regular inks.

I guess I may have been lucky as I am on my 4th ink set and not one problem. Sometimes I know it's the luck of the draw.

Me personally I would stay away from Epson. They too have issues with the printer rejecting modified cartridges. Worse unless you are
running almost continious expect clogged heads and much frustration in that end. I have had 3 Epsons C82 (I went through a handfull of 1400's)
I almost gave up with dye sub until I got the Ricoh. The Epson 1400 had too much junk built into it. I talked with corporate a few times and they sent me
refurbs back and within a week same trouble. Get this.... the trouble was they had a slide out tray that you could print special CD's on (has anyone really done that?)
It read the tray was open and would just send the sheet through, no printing.
I said that ought to cut out this stuff and just make a basic production printer with no frills and they would sell great. The problem is everyone views printers
as disposable and just get a new one when it fails.

There is too much money selling inks for one of the dye sub companies to come up with a printer on their own. No profits in the printer. I wouldn't be surprized if the printer manufactures are
putting in software that if you don't use their inks it shuts you down.

I wonder if it's just the dye sub inks that are causing a problem, I haven't searched to see if it's a Ricoh problem and they have it with their ink sets too.

dye sub has this really great upside you think that Sawgrass would get together with Ricoh or Epson and manufacture one that is designed for these ink sets.

Dan Hintz
08-11-2011, 7:11 AM
Sorry guys, but a company claiming their printer power supplies are failing because you're not using their inks is the same as a car company claiming the engine died because you didn't use their stock wheels. I wish the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act worked on things other than cars.

Mike Null
08-11-2011, 7:59 AM
Dan

I disagree on this point. There is a substantial difference in dye sub versus standard ink jet inks. It's one thing to use generic ink jet cartridges but another to use dye sub. If you've worked with dye sub you'll know that it's notorious for clogging among other things. Like a couple of others, I threw my Epson 1290 dedicated dye sub printer in the trash. The problem is magnified if you're a low volume printer. The power supply thing may be a stretch but I suspect there is some basis for it.

That Sawgrass has a monopoly on dye sub ink for desk top printers further exacerbates the problem.

Dan Hintz
08-11-2011, 8:56 AM
Dan

I disagree on this point. There is a substantial difference in dye sub versus standard ink jet inks. It's one thing to use generic ink jet cartridges but another to use dye sub. If you've worked with dye sub you'll know that it's notorious for clogging among other things. Like a couple of others, I threw my Epson 1290 dedicated dye sub printer in the trash. The problem is magnified if you're a low volume printer. The power supply thing may be a stretch but I suspect there is some basis for it.

That Sawgrass has a monopoly on dye sub ink for desk top printers further exacerbates the problem.
I don't disagree that the inks might clog the heads... what I do have a problem with is the company not warrantying the power supply because you didn't use their inks. If the PS keeps failing, it's not the ink's fault.

Albert Nix
08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I would be more inclined to believe the idea that the factory pumps may be overloaded if the line or nozzles get the least bit restricted. More than likely the pump get its power from the same board. Or maybe SG is not filling OME carts and the chips on the carts could be failing and taking the power board with it. I love mine as long as it dont die again. Works super, only thing I would wish was that you could track the ink usage better, mine always gives out with the printer showing 24% left. Most of the time the carts are empty.

Mike Null
08-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Dan

I'm not faulting your theory but there may be cause for the mfr to balk on this issue such as a little thing like a faulty reset code on the sub cartridge..

Martin Boekers
08-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Printer companies don't make there money on the printers they make in on the inks.
I don't find it so hard to believe that when they sell you a printer they count on money
being made from the sale of inks. When you don't the profit level goes down. Today the
ink cartridges are linked to the computer in the printer telling all about the cartridge and
inks. Gel printers are still relatively new, so I can see how Sawgrass and others haven't
got it straightened out yet. Conspirecy theorists may come up with the thought that if the
printer reads a non-proprietary cartridge it shuts down. Far fetched?

Mike Null
08-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Marty

What conspiracy? That's the way my Epson 1280 worked. I purchased a cheap little gadget to reset it when I put in a new but not Epson cartridge.

Martin Boekers
08-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Maybe the device reset the cartridge to show it was now full again. Maybe through the years
they thought about that these "aftermarket resetters" would only reset the ink levels. That way
they could add a part to the cartidge that looked for something else when being reset. If the resetter
didn't address that to it could create and error. Many like the bulk system I had on my 1400's
used a Sawgrass system. Sometimes it failed and was a real pain to get it to print. They actually
sent new empty cartridges to have as spares if one quit working. Maybe just quality control on their part?

I could never get straight answers from them or Epson. Some how I managed to find a corporate number
for Epson and after some "heated" discussions the sent me another printer and finally admitted to a flaw
in the CD tray design for shutting down the printer. The systems for Epson printers never worked well for me.
as soon as a jet started to clog just a bit color started shifting. If I did 20 mugs they all didn't match.

Like I said I could have been lucky with the Ricoh I got, after my experience with Epson if I had issues
with the Ricoh I would have quit Dye Sub completely.

These printers seem cheaply built, but I imagine that they are designed for a specific purpose and when we
start varying that problems can and do occur. For what they are designed to do I think it's amazing how
consistantly they run.

Dan Hintz
08-11-2011, 1:30 PM
The newer devices do indeed transmit more info than just ink level... they include a coded ID that's similar to an RSA arrangement, making sure not just that the cartridge is full but that it's also a "legal" cartridge (i.e., manufactured by them). It's a complete load when the company claims it's for warranty purposes on printer styles using cartridges that contain their own print heads... you simply can not screw up the printer itself with a bad cartridge, but they don't get their ink tax. Unfortunately, you cannot sue them for unfair practices because you have the option of purchasing another brand.

Of course, if I really got a wild hair I'd watch the traffic to/from the chip and solve the problem permanently.

Larry Bratton
08-11-2011, 3:08 PM
The problem lies that Sawgrass has a patent on inks. They don't manufacture a printer for them so they work around existing printers.
All printer manufactures will not guarentee their printers if they find you don't use their brand of ink be it dye sub or regular inks.

I guess I may have been lucky as I am on my 4th ink set and not one problem. Sometimes I know it's the luck of the draw.

Me personally I would stay away from Epson. They too have issues with the printer rejecting modified cartridges. Worse unless you are
running almost continious expect clogged heads and much frustration in that end. I have had 3 Epsons C82 (I went through a handfull of 1400's)
I almost gave up with dye sub until I got the Ricoh. The Epson 1400 had too much junk built into it. I talked with corporate a few times and they sent me
refurbs back and within a week same trouble. Get this.... the trouble was they had a slide out tray that you could print special CD's on (has anyone really done that?)
It read the tray was open and would just send the sheet through, no printing.
I said that ought to cut out this stuff and just make a basic production printer with no frills and they would sell great. The problem is everyone views printers
as disposable and just get a new one when it fails.

There is too much money selling inks for one of the dye sub companies to come up with a printer on their own. No profits in the printer. I wouldn't be surprized if the printer manufactures are
putting in software that if you don't use their inks it shuts you down.

I wonder if it's just the dye sub inks that are causing a problem, I haven't searched to see if it's a Ricoh problem and they have it with their ink sets too.

dye sub has this really great upside you think that Sawgrass would get together with Ricoh or Epson and manufacture one that is designed for these ink sets.

There is a lot written on both fronts. However, and not in defense mind you, but Epson has been the delivery method for dye sub inks for a long time. Again, it's not the printer that causes the problem. In my opinion it is caused by inactivity of the printer not being used frequently enough to keep the piezo delivery head cleared of dried ink. I have a Canon wide format printer that employs piezo technology. We messed up and did not use the printer for a good while after we moved. When we did get back to it, we found we were faced with buying a $500.00 print head. So, lesson learned. Those microscopic holes that the ink comes through are awful easy to foul. So, I don't think it matters what brand of printer it is, if it is not used regularly and maintained, your going to have problems.

The other issue is the cost of ink. Sawgrass ink for the Ricoh is just absolutely ridiculous. I mean..$60 bucks for the small cartridge of 1 color for my printer is awful. If I were doing a volume printing business it would be very painful. Cobra Ink Systems modifies Epson printers to use Continuous Ink Systems, is highly thought of and sells inks for sublimation that are a fraction of the cost of the Sawgrass stuff. Even if the printer goes out, you can afford to buy another one for the savings you accumulate on the ink. The Epson 1100 printer, loaded with sub ink and a delivery system is less than $400.00. You can buy just the printer for $200 bucks and they have a reputation for working fine with this system.

I must say though, David Gross at Conde seems to be trying to help with this problem. There was a guy on there that had a 3300 go out and it was 3 months out of warranty. They gave the guy a new printer and I'm not sure if they didn't make the ink good too. Not sure if the 3300 problem was related to ink, non use or what, but they took care of him. I liked that.

Bill W. White
08-12-2011, 12:16 AM
This has probably been covered before but I'll ask anyway, would a added power supply be a good thing to add to the Ricoh 7000 printer in case of power out's, Also I added Harvey's head cleaner software that prints a small test every day or so, is this worthwhile or a waste of time, Bill W.

Bill Overturf
08-12-2011, 7:35 AM
Cant speak on the Richo but with an Epson Harvey head cleaner is almost a must have!

Amy Shelton
08-14-2011, 8:46 PM
I had received an email from Sawgrass *not* to return the old printer. Then several days later, got a phone call to disregard the email, that yes, I *do* need to return it. I was trying to decide whether to buy two more new ink cartridges to go with the two new ones they sent me, when I got a call from them, saying they were sending me two additional cartridges. Wow! So I got 4 new ones, and installed them. I will print a nozzle check twice a week with it. Hopefully the new inks will solve the problem. I will purchase the extended warranty from my dye sub supplier in Nov. (I bought it last Dec)