PDA

View Full Version : Because laser alignment REALLY matters

Mike vonBuelow
07-19-2011, 3:50 PM
What a happy day!!!!

Well, it took the good part of a year, and having to break my red beam mirror to find this out - but since I had to re-align my laser mirrors, my machine works BETTER THAN EVER!

Not sure what the deal is, but I was forced to align each mirror in order (using the masking-tape-over-the-hole-and-eyeballing-it method), and now my first project using 1/8 plywood cut at 3% speed (whereas I was multi-cutting at 2% and below before with spotty results).

Just a note it you think you should be getting more power - take the time** to align your laser mirrors too... it may just be what you need.

** Be sure to have a good understanding of the principles of operation and mirror alignment before you start!

Anyways, a big shout out to all my SMC buddies for all the help over the past year - what a great website!

Larry Bratton
07-19-2011, 6:30 PM
Improper alignment is one of the biggest detriments to successful cutting that I can think of. Bad alignment can conjure up all kinds of bad thoughts, such as tube going bad and the like. Glad you discovered this. It makes a world of difference, I have been there and done that.

Tom Majewski
07-19-2011, 7:11 PM
I hope you meant 3% speed instead of power or else I'm gonna go downstairs and kick my 45w Pinnacle.

Mike vonBuelow
07-19-2011, 7:48 PM
Edited - 3% speed it was

But you can still kick it if it'll make you feel better :)

Tom Majewski
07-19-2011, 9:49 PM
Mike,
I might have to get some tips from you in the near future on this alignment thing.