PDA

View Full Version : CA Question

Dick Wilson
07-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Several times I have read posts indicating the turner used "CA Finish" What are they referring to........covering the turning in CA glue??

steven carter
07-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Dick, that is it exactly. Most use it on spindle turnings like pens and bottle stoppers. It is applied on the lathe with the lathe spinning, either alone or with alternate applications of Ca and BLO. I have seen it used on bowls, but I think the cost is to much for larger turnings.

Scott Hackler
07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Dick, the CA finish is generally used on pens. First, using a foloded up paper towel I apply BLO on the blank while its spinning at high speed. Next I apply a few drops on the BLO stained spot on the paper towel and hold it onto the underside while moving the towel right to left rapidly. If you look at the wood, you will see the finish go from dull to shiney. I do this at least 3 times and call it good. Makes for a real hard finish and looks pretty good too.

Harvey Ghesser
07-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Dick,
Lots of CA finish demonstrations on youtube.

Steve Mawson
07-19-2011, 11:47 AM
What Scott said, just don't get it on too thick or the surface will turn ruff and you will have to take it off and start over. As CA cures on the paper towel it will get hot so be careful.