PDA

View Full Version : Overhead jointer dust collection

David Nelson1
07-19-2011, 8:57 AM
With all the concern about collecting fine particulate @ the source has anyone added a shroud or something simular to there jointer?

Jerome Hanby
07-19-2011, 9:03 AM
Maybe it is inexperience on my part, but I've never noticed dust above the table. I get a big pile of shavings right outside the shoot on the jointer's side (next dust collection project).

Bob Riefer
07-19-2011, 10:18 AM
The only material I've seen from my jointer is more of a shaving consistency as opposed to the dust I get from (say) the miter saw or table saw, so I haven't been very concerned with it (but I could be wrong). The majority of it falls under the table as it should, and any that's missed, I get with a dust pan.

Frank Drew
07-19-2011, 10:23 AM
My experience is similar to Jerome's and Rob's, shavings that drop down from the cutterhead. I kept a cardboard box under the jointer and it collected most of it.

David Nelson1
07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
I guess the term fines is slightly wrong. I'll call it a powder. I edged and face jointed a 12-14" piece of pine and was left with about a tablespoon of dust on the infeed side. I noticed that collection was not so good on the old 6 inch jointer as well. I just accepted it as a matter of fact, but after sweeping 5-6 full pans of dust from the floor this weekend I'm really starting to get tired of it. To put things in prospective I didn't always use the collector because it was on the other side of the room and didn't have room to drag it over to the machines, so most of it is from not using it @ all. I think I'll try just dropping a hose with a hood over the top of the jointer and see what happens.

Jerome Hanby
07-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Let us know what you find! I'm in the midst of trying to get my dust collection going and the jointer is on my short list.

David Nelson1
07-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Besides everthing else plumbing is on my very short list. I think I have all the equipment that my shop can handle and that I'll need for good while. Placement of the tooling is next. Everything but the table saw will have to be wheeled into position so I'll only really need 4 drops @ the most. (I hope) I have an IV bag hanger (don't ask why LOL) that I can string the hood from. Sounds like a good temp project for this evening. Film @ 6:00 :D

Jerome Hanby
07-19-2011, 11:08 AM
My shop location is not permanent, maybe 4 more years, so I can't get too enthused about piping (or wiring). At present I've got three dust collectors. One is a big Jet that runs off of 240V, it's just going to be taking up space. I have two smaller Deltas (I think AP/400) that I got cheap from Lowe's on clearance. I'm going to rig them with Thien separators that will live on their roll around stand and possible outfit them with filters in place of the top bag. I'll use one of them for the Table Saw, Miter Saw, Jointer, Planer, and RAS moving it as needed. The other will be on the opposite side of the shop and service the lathe and Shopsmith as needed. Just got the Onieda dust deputy kit from Woodcraft and will be using it with my Shop Vac to cover portable power tools and shop cleanup.

David Nelson1
07-19-2011, 11:29 AM
LOL If I had all of that going on I wouldn't be able to move a bit.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2011, 11:49 AM
David....I just got through running some red oak through my G0490X and I had very little dust on top. I have an Onieda 3hp Super Gorilla DC and only use 3 drops in my shop with a work "square" in the middle of the shop. Everything is portable except my PM3520B lathe. I use a quick disconnect and go between my MM-16, my table saw, planer and my sanding station. My jointer shares a drop with the SCMS and I have a separate drop for use at the lathe.

To your original question, I have very, very little dust on the jointer beds.

Rod Sheridan
07-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Ken, what size hose are you using?

Regards, Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Rod.....I'll have to check but I believe it's 4 inch but it might be 5"......

David Nelson1
07-19-2011, 12:31 PM
That's reassuring that 3 PH gets it done. I have 2 HP Shop Fox 1550 cfm advertised. I might be asking to much. 10 foot flex pipe straight to the collector is what i'm running right now. Both of the jointers are Grizzly's my new to me is a G0586 but I really dont think they are the problem.

David Nelson1
07-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Mine is 4" Mike Cruz warned me about the planer needing a 6 inch hose it also is leaving escapees behind as well.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2011, 1:01 PM
David....My jointer is using a 4" 10' flex hose. My planer....I will have to check...it's shares a quick disconnect with my MM-16, my tablesaw, sanding station. My planer is a 13" older Ridgid. The DC does a good job with it.

David Nelson1
07-19-2011, 6:40 PM
First off I would like to apologize for the video quality. Its just plain terrible, but I think it gets the point across.

Overhead collection on the jointer looks as if its going to be a non starter with the equipment that I have for a couple of reasons.

The largest is that visual impact, placing the hood close enough to make a difference really obstructed the view of the cutter and where my hands where.
The particles I was trying to capture are pretty large and I didn't have enough airflow . 1500 advertised cfm doesn't seem large enough.
Edge joining would be pretty tough with a shroud that you had to work around.

Here is the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGJcBpV_qXA

Is this is the amount or something close to it that most of you are seeing?