PDA

View Full Version : Computer registry clean up

Bill Leonard
07-19-2011, 8:00 AM
Is there a free registry clean up program available that works?

Bill Edwards(2)
07-19-2011, 9:07 AM
I use AML's.

Seems to work pretty good.

http://www.amlsoft.com/

Dave Ogren
07-19-2011, 9:09 AM
CC Cleaner works well and is free. Go to Filehippo.com AVG is a good virus fighter, also free. Good Luck,
Dave

Dan Hintz
07-19-2011, 9:35 AM
I use CCleaner, too... free, and does a great job cleaning out the detritus.

Jamie Buxton
07-19-2011, 9:39 AM
What are the symptoms of a detrius-filled registry?

Dan Hintz
07-19-2011, 9:49 AM
Slow boot, for one...

Curt Harms
07-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Use an operating system that doesn't have a registry (Sorry, the devil made me do it :D)

Larry Browning
07-19-2011, 1:27 PM
Call me ignorant, but what operating system(s) doesn't have a registry?

ray hampton
07-19-2011, 2:35 PM
I want to know this answer too!!!!

paul cottingham
07-19-2011, 2:41 PM
Linux does not have a registry. Just text files you can edit.

So the answer to best registry cleaner?

Install Linux.
Sorry, couldn't resist.:D

ray hampton
07-19-2011, 4:02 PM
SO, WILL LINUX BE THE ANSWER TO MY COMPUTER without causing more problems

glenn bradley
07-19-2011, 4:42 PM

Not is the 100 or so Linux users around here are any example :D:D:D:D

Joe Angrisani
07-19-2011, 5:43 PM
I have been very happy with "CleanUp!".

paul cottingham
07-19-2011, 6:57 PM
Not is the 100 or so Linux users around here are any example :D:D:D:D

Join us. You know you want to.....

Chuck Wintle
07-19-2011, 7:15 PM

I like Linux mint...easy to use...has a nice GUI....and is free with a l ot of available software for free...and no registry!!

paul cottingham
07-19-2011, 8:25 PM
I like ubuntu for the same reasons.....

Jerome Stanek
07-20-2011, 6:19 AM
I use tweaknow regcleaner

Curt Harms
07-20-2011, 9:29 AM
The wonder of Live CD's (or DVD's) You can download an .iso file, burn it to a CD/DVD, set your PC so it tries to boot from the CD before booting from the hard drive. Mine is via a BIOS setting, others have "press this key to choose boot device". You now have an 90% operational PC without touching anything on your Windows installation. I say 90% because you can't install things like manufacturer's video drivers or printers that are not supported "out of the box", there's no place to store them. It won't store program settings or changes on DVD. You can store files, pictures and things on removable storage while running the Live CD. I think if I were recommending a live distro (distribution) right now, I'd go with Mint. It is sized for a DVD and includes on disk more things that have legal encumbrances like flash and BroadCom wirelesss drivers.

In fact, I just downloaded a Mint 11 DVD .iso and burned it. Burning a DVD from Windows 7 is easy. Just find the downloaded iso file, right-click it and select "burn to disk". From the time I started to load the Mint DVD to the time I was watching videos on the woodwhisperer.com web site was less than 10 minutes. The HP deskjet printer was automagically installed. This included configuring a WPA2 wireless internet connection. The people at Mint have made some good choices re desktop environments for people "raised" on Windows XP I think. There is another option with Ubuntu called "WUBI". It installs Ubuntu inside Windows. I've never tried it so don't know anything about it. After becoming familiar with Ubuntu and Mint, I find Windows onerous. You just have to be okay with lime green.:) For anyone who downloads a distro, don't be afraid to poke around, you're not going to break anything a ctrl-alt-delete won't fix. Nothing changes on the DVD, remember?:cool: And no, the (non-existent) registry is not going to be corrupted.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=81

If you choose to install to a hard drive, you can have both operating systems side by side. Some impetuous types overwrite their windows partitions then kvetch when they need windows for something and have no way to restore. Hardware requirements? If XP will run, Linux will run. In fact, some have Linux installs running on old pentiums just to see if they can.I find 40 GB plenty for a Linux partition install. Even though people say otherwise, you don't need a second partition for swap unless you want to hibernate. I create a swap file and use suspend rather than hibernate. Right now I don't believe I'd recommend Ubuntu to a newbie. They're going through some changes that can seem confusing.

If you download and don't like it, what are you out? Time and maybe a DVD - I use a DVD+RW so I just blank and reuse. If you're on dial-up, probably better to stick with Windows. Linux WinModem support is very spotty, hardware modems work but it ain't easy from what I've read.

Myk Rian
07-20-2011, 2:05 PM
I wish IBM still supported OS/2. Boy do I miss that.

Robert LaPlaca
07-20-2011, 8:09 PM
If you feel that your Windows system is taking a long time to boot up, I think I would use the built in Windows Defrag utility to de-fragment the the C: volume, before I resorted to installing any freeware registry cleaners... My guess is what is causing the protracted boot time is the fragmentation of the NTFS volume, not any issues with the registry..