PDA

View Full Version : Myrtlewood

Stuart Reid
07-19-2011, 1:42 AM
I have seen some wonderful grain in some Myrtlewood pieces and would like to try to turn something myself. How difficult is Myrtlewood to turn? I am currently near the Oregon coast, apparently the only area where you can find this wood, and will try to purchase some before we leave.

Stu

Bob Rotche
07-19-2011, 7:29 AM
I have turned 1 piece and really liked it. Turned well and finished beautifully. Would love to get more but I am on the east coast and it doesn't grow around here. Would definitely pick some up while you are out there.

Russell Eaton
07-19-2011, 7:33 AM
I have turned 1 piece. It was a big burl and had a rock inside of it. It flew out and hit my face shield. It then had a large inclusion and blew out. It does have a strange smell when it is turned, not bad just different.

Bob Bergstrom
07-19-2011, 8:44 AM
Wonderful wood to turn. Cuts like butter. Among the best on the west coast.

Doug Reesor
07-19-2011, 8:50 AM
I just finished a small bowl I had from a piece laying around the shop. It turned very nicely. I have put it on my watch list in case I find somemore.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-19-2011, 11:49 AM
I would grab some if I were you! I had some really nice myrtlewood for my ukuleles. I have not turned it, but I would love to try. It is a really beautiful wood.

Don Alexander
07-19-2011, 1:50 PM
the one piece i had turned great and it is interesting to look at too

Jon Nuckles
07-19-2011, 2:43 PM
I bought a dry blank of Myrtle burl and turned a small bowl. It was a while ago, before I discovered the joys of turning free green wood, but I remember it as turning very nicely and taking a nice polish even before finishing.

Baxter Smith
07-19-2011, 9:07 PM
You might PM Reed Gray(lives in Oregon) and perhaps he could tell you where to get some. He sent me a green piece earlier this year along with a piece of madrone. The madrone was especially fun to turn.

Steve Knowlton
07-20-2011, 12:19 AM
i have tons of mrytlewood. it turns great. if yo.u were on the oregon coast i would be glad to give you some. email me if you want. sknowlton@ewptruss.com

Nathan Hawkes
07-20-2011, 8:33 AM
Be careful with the dust for it; for many people it can be a respiratory sensitizer. I've only turned one piece, but it made my chest tighten up terribly. Sort of like a teenager inhaling a really big drag off a cigarette when he's never smoked before.

Reed Gray
07-23-2011, 1:40 PM
Stuart,
I would have responded sooner, but was chasing Walleye and Pike in Ontario Canada for a week. I love myrtle (actually California Bay Laurel, and not a myrtle in any way shape or form.... marketing). I never thought that it turned like butter, especially when compared to Madrone. It is a lovely wood, huge variation in color, can have a spicy smell (similar to bay leaves that you cook with) or can smell rather sour, it is pretty hard, and can have grain going every which way, and tends to dull the tools (my guess is micro particles of silica from growing in the coastal areas). When sanded and finished, it glows like mahogany or koa does.

robo hippy

Nate Davey
07-23-2011, 2:22 PM
It's a joy to turn and finish. There's a myrtle wood "factory outlet" in Garibaldi, if you're that far north.

Ralph Lindberg
07-24-2011, 1:42 PM
I would start with Steve, unless you are at the wrong part of the coast. There is a shop in Gold Beach (Rogue River Myrtlewood I know the owner) that has some, but he sells most of his work finished. There is another shop near Bandon (Zumwalts) that might have more raw wood. There is also a shop (off the main road) (Abe Hanks) north of Gold Beach, but when I was in there earlier this month all he had in raw wood was Maple.

BTW, if you are exiting the area via the south, go through Klamath Falls and visit Cook Woods

Chris Barnett
07-25-2011, 7:47 PM
Daughter was in Corvallis for several years and sent a box of myrtlewood and big leaf maple for my birthday (to make stuff for her?). Agree, get it if you can. She is now in Logan, Utah, far from the myrtlewood (sigh)...wonder what wonderwood is in Utah and vicinity.

Ralph Lindberg
07-25-2011, 7:56 PM
Daughter was in Corvallis for several years and sent a box of myrtlewood and big leaf maple for my birthday (to make stuff for her?). Agree, get it if you can. She is now in Logan, Utah, far from the myrtlewood (sigh)...wonder what wonderwood is in Utah and vicinity.

Boxelder and Silver Maple to name two

Chris Barnett
08-02-2011, 11:07 AM
I have used boxelder burl and myrtlewood burl to make pens...absolutely beautiful (the wood I mean). Now I can tell daughter what I want [need?] for Christmas. Think box elder burl and myrtlewood burl are about equal....some may disagree though.