PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor question

johnny means
07-19-2011, 1:14 AM
is this a problem? Use to be able to see right through this puppy. I notice that sometimes it hisses out air.

Dan Hintz
07-19-2011, 6:36 AM
Wow, talk about disgusting. It looks like algae growing in there, and the "water" in the bottom looks like milk. At first I thought it was the oiler!

Mike Null
07-19-2011, 8:00 AM
It does appear that it was working. You might try some bleach or just replace it. Parts are pretty cheap.

Dan Hintz
07-19-2011, 9:46 AM
It makes me wonder what's in the tank, though, to get that kind of mess in the line...

ray hampton
07-19-2011, 2:40 PM
do your compressor use oil ?

Bruce Page
07-19-2011, 2:46 PM
Good question. It looks like a little too much oil is getting past the rings.

johnny means
07-19-2011, 2:47 PM

Yes, it is an oiled type compressor.
Tank is dry inside.

ray hampton
07-19-2011, 3:50 PM
you may have oil mix with the water in the container

Chip Lindley
07-19-2011, 7:14 PM
It appears the filter inside the bulb is saturated with an oil/water emulsion. (that milky stuff) Check the Norgren website to see if that filter if replaceable on your regulator/separator. There is lots of Norgren stuff on ebay, often at bargain prices.

Double-check your crankcase oil for water. It would be a shame to gall a bearing in that nice Speed-Aire compressor.

Jerry Bruette
07-20-2011, 6:20 PM
looks to me like your filter/seperator is doing it's job. I don't know where you live but here where I am the humidity has been through the roof lately, dew points in the 70's. We're even having trouble withe the driers at work.

You can clean the bowl out if you want but be careful what you use. Some chemicals could weaken the polycarb bowl and it could explode. And we don't want that. I'd just drain it and wipe it out with a clean rag.

The bowl might be equiped with a self draining valve and that may be the air you hear hissing out.

Jerry

Callan Campbell
07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
I'd expect the water coming out of the tank to look the same, an oil/water mix, but you say no? Just water? Anyway, agree with Jerry, NO solvents for a plastic filter bowl, they have enough trouble not degrading just from the system pressure and long term contact with lube oil in the system as well. Replace the bowl and filter if you want, and check the oil quality in your pump as well. My old single stage Sanborn pump did the same as your unit, but you SAW the same thing coming out of the tank drain. Messy, but ran well and didn't really require oil to be added to the pump. Seems like a ring issue just from looking at the picture.

Bob Wingard
07-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Isolate the regulator ... push up on the clear bottom bowl, turning it counter-clockwise. It should come right off. Remove the filter .. clean the bowl and filter in bleach water, then detergent. Reassemble, using a dab of Vaseline on the o-ring ... if it still leaks, replace the o-ring.