PDA

View Full Version : Beads of Courage pot

Scott Hackler
07-19-2011, 12:14 AM
This lidded pot will be going to Waco, to be donated to the SWAT Symposium's "Beads of Courage". I hope that some kid will like it and that it can some how help with thier healing. If you don't know about the program, I would encourage everyone to check it out and if your going to Waco... please turn one.

This is black walnut and white oak with a small african blackwood knob and bead detail on the inside of the lid. I textured the lid with my Burnmaster. The entire thing was sealed twice with shellac, sanded back, lacquered, sanded back, ren wax. 6" tall x 6" wide.

Thanks. Comments are always welcome.

Tim Thiebaut
07-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Are you on vacation Scott?!? Your turnings are coming out just a cut above, exceptional workmanship, and your knocking them out pretty quickly to

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
07-19-2011, 1:00 AM
That is very, very cool. I love the texturing. You say it was done with a Burnmaster? (Google here I come . . . ) No idea what a "Burnmaster" is, though I'd guess some type of pyro pen. Did it make the indented patterns too?

Again, a really nice piece -- sure caught my eye!

Scott Hackler
07-19-2011, 1:14 AM
Tim, no vacation but every evening in the shop for about a week. I have about 6 projects to complete in the next few weeks and then I am migrating to my "finish the basement" project. I try to stay on task in the shop but a few "other" pieces have made their way to my lathe! Mostly because the main projects are very time consuming and I need a quick fix project every so often!

Jeff, the Burnmaster is a brand of woodburner. I made my own tip for it using NiChrome wire and applied the pattern by branding the wood. The weave pattern was basically done with a very flat tip on the same tool.

John Keeton
07-19-2011, 7:23 AM
Scott, you did some excellent work on that lid! I like the contrasting patterns (square/round) - really creates some interest. Good work for a good cause!

Bob Rotche
07-19-2011, 7:25 AM
LOVE the lid Scott! I bought a burnmaster this spring with plans of doing just that sort of thing but summer activities and a very long outdoor "honey-do" list have conspired against my shop time. You are inspiring me to give it a go. I'm not 100% sold on the flow between lid and bowl on first glance but will ponder it a bit longer.

Russell Eaton
07-19-2011, 7:37 AM
That lid rocks Scott. You did a great job on the pattern. keep em coming.

Tim Thiebaut
07-19-2011, 7:45 AM
I am "hopefully" ordering my Burnmaster this week, looking forward to experimenting with it, once its here I will have to get some tips from you on how your making your own tips like this...

Steve Schlumpf
07-19-2011, 7:48 AM
Well I sure like it! Beautiful work Scott - looks functional and artistic at the same time! It is going to make someone very happy! Good on you for that!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-19-2011, 7:54 AM
Let me see, I think you are one of those turners worrying about being unique and thinking out of the box? The problem with you is "out of the box" has become your norm so you can't appreciate how good your imagination and range of skills are. This is a well imagined and executed piece and whoever buys it will be lucky to have it.
faust

Tim Rinehart
07-19-2011, 8:23 AM
Very well done Scott. As said, you really put some thought and energy into the lid and it turned out exceptional. I like the contrast of pyro work and how you created the sections in the top using the different tips. It made me think the lid surface had some multi-axis cuts until I looked closer and saw the design.
Great job!

Chris Burgess
07-19-2011, 8:24 AM
Great box Scott. Very impressive and motivating.

Pete Jordan
07-19-2011, 8:30 AM
Wow Scott!
Sounds like you should get a commission from Burnmaster.
You have mastered that thing is a very short time!

Alan Trout
07-19-2011, 8:44 AM
Scott that is a very nice piece for a great cause. Your are doing great on your burning.

Alan

charlie knighton
07-19-2011, 9:22 AM
Scott, great piece, enjoy SWAT, thanks for sharing

Eric Holmquist
07-19-2011, 9:57 AM
Very nice piece, especially the lid. I am fascinated by one aspect of it. It appears from the photo as if there are some facets on the lid that take the form of two arcs that come close to the finial. Do these facets actually exist, or are they an illusion formed by the burning pattern?

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Scott that is a beauty. Someone is going to enjoy that piece. I especially like the lid.

Scott Hackler
07-19-2011, 10:06 AM
The lid is (was) smooth and round, with no carving or anything. I used a compass stabbed into the workbench and held the lid while drawing the arcs and then burnt in the circle patterns first. The I filled the two other areas with a basket weave type pattern.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I hope this small gesture will help the healing and coping process for its new owner. After reading the article about the Beads of Courage program and the SWAT protion for the lidded pots.....well two things came to mind. First I am so thankful to have been blessed with two very health kids and second, I WAS going to make at least one pot to help. A sick child is a heartbreaking thing and if this brings even one smile I will feel justified in the time involved.

Dave Mueller
07-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Scott, pretty cool box - the acorn shape really works well as a box. You really chose a beautiful piese of black walnut.

I hope to make one, but have not started yet. One of my questions is whether to make the lid fairly tight and "pop" when it is opened or make it a little looser so smaller hands can easily open it. Which did you decide to do?

Scott Hackler
07-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Dave, I made this one fit loose. I thought that, in their weakened state from treatment, the kids needed to be able to easily open this pot. I don't know what other do. This one is only thinned out to about 1/4". I also wanted to have a bit of weight to this pot to make it more stable and less likely to be slightly "bumped" off a table or stand.

Harvey Ghesser
07-19-2011, 11:48 AM
You are quite the "burnmaster", Scott! Nicely done!

Don Alexander
07-19-2011, 1:52 PM
reminds me of an acorn sorta looks very good and the detail is captivating

Jon Nuckles
07-19-2011, 2:48 PM
Great work for what sounds like a great cause. The lid and the multiple textures are especially nice.

Marc Himes
07-19-2011, 7:38 PM
Nice combination of a textured lid with a smooth base and the variation in texture on the lid.

Baxter Smith
07-19-2011, 8:56 PM
Great work for a great cause Scott! Well done!

John W Dixon
07-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Scott you are killing it with the Burnmaster. I am really impressed with the work you have been doing and this one certainly is no exception! Keep it up.

Kathy Marshall
07-20-2011, 2:02 AM
That's a beautiful little box Scott! and the burning/texturing on the lid looks exceptional! I'm sure your box will be loved by whomever receives it!

Cathy Schaewe
07-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Very, very nice job, and for a good cause.