PDA

View Full Version : Spigot gage

Tom Wilson66
07-18-2011, 11:08 PM
I am making several bowls for Christmas gifts this year, so I thought I would rough turn them and dna soak. This way I might get them ready without having to rush in December ( I am allowed to dream). Anyway, to make it easier to rought them out, I am using Jerry Marcantel's turning plate (this works really great). I also devised this spigot gage to make sizing the spigot for my Nova chuck. The gage is a piece of 1/4" plywood cut to a 2" circle on the scroollsaw (first picture), then drilled and counter sunk so that about 1/8" of the point of the live center projects through (second picture). There is a punch mark on the blank that is used to center the live center on the blank, with the gage being held in place by the live center (picture 3). Picture 4 shows everything ready to rough turn the outside.

See the next post for more pictures.

Tom Wilson66
07-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Here are photos showing the rough tenon (slightly large to allow for truing after the dna soak) and the roughed out bowl. It is now in the dna soak, probably leave in for a few days then bag it. When the weather cools down, it will be ready to finish turn.
ATTACH=CONFIG]202335[/ATTACH]202336

Jon Prouty
07-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Sometimes I see something and it makes me feel really dumb for not thinking it first. This is a great idea and will be copied. Thanks for the tip.

JP

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Tom - I am a big fan of Jerry's chuck plate and use it for just about everything! I do like your idea of a template for determining tenon size - makes good sense! Thanks for the suggestion!

Looking forward to seeing all those Christmas bowls once they are finished!

Jim Sebring
07-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Great, simple idea! Sure beats using calipers.

Tim Thiebaut
07-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Like the others have said, makes me wonder why I didnt think of this long ago, thanks for the great tip!

Russell Eaton
07-19-2011, 7:47 AM
Sweet trick. I will make a few for all my chucks. Thanks for posting.

Mark Levitski
07-19-2011, 8:20 PM
Another good idea--there are lots out there, huh. Thanks everyone, and keep 'em coming. I've learned the most from my own mistakes, reading books, watching videos, and from you guys here (in that order, uhh, sorry).

However, for this application here's one that works better for me: I use a pencil compass on the tailstock end while the lathe is on (after flattening an area on your piece). First you set the radius for the tenon diameter that you need. I have a template on my bench for this. Then you just put the pencil point on the surface and make the other point match what the pencil puts down. Raffan described this in one of his books. It's quick, accurate, and can be adjusted to a final dry tenon or a green one for a rough-out that will eventually warp and need to be re-turned when dry.

Jim Burr
07-19-2011, 9:17 PM
Turners are amazingly inventive...another perfect example. Let me make a few before you patent it.

Tom Wilson66
07-19-2011, 9:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. As far as patenting it, don't wanna and you can't make me. Would be too much trouble for not enough return.

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Tom thanks for sharing. Like the others don't know why I didn't think of it.

Jon Nuckles
07-20-2011, 2:53 PM
The attachment below shows another option that I picked up somewhere (maybe Tim Yoder's Woodturning Workshop?). Maybe everyone has seen this, but it works great so I thought I'd include it. It is cut out of 1/4" plywood. The openings on the left and right (which are actually parallel with the sides on the ends with more rounded ends toward the middle, but my skills with Microsoft Paint are limited) are sized according to the minimum and maximum tenons my chuck jaws will accept. The square extensions on the top and bottom are sized according to the minimum and maximum recess the jaws will expand into. Easier than setting calipers, but maybe not as elegant as your solution!

Jamie Donaldson
07-20-2011, 9:09 PM
202504Here's a trick learned from machine shop many years ago, a "go-no go gauge" for each of my chuck jaw sets. They show the max>min jaw openings in a flash, and save a bunch of time without getting in the way of the turning.

Tom Wilson66
07-20-2011, 10:25 PM
looks like this is turning into a forum on various types of spigot gauges. Lots of good ideas, keep 'em coming.

Matt Newton
07-21-2011, 8:12 AM
This is a great idea that works for you. My version is a piece of 1/4" plywood that looks like an H. One side is the min. size for my #2 jaws and the other is the max. I also have one for my other size jaws. I love getting good ideas from everyone.