PDA

View Full Version : Straight Arrow

James Combs
07-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Here is an aluminum pen that I made from an aluminum arrow shaft. The turning part was minor. Just touche it enough with a scraper gouge to remove the black paint. The aluminum arrow is very, very thin walled. I had to use two different size brass tubes, one glued inside the other and the two of them glued inside the aluminum tube. It was still a pretty loose fit. The sloppy fit was filled with thick CA. The only finish it has is metal polish then wax.

Enjoy - C&C Appreciated.

Roger Chandler
07-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Being a bowhunter, I find this appealing.........I left off using aluminum arrows years ago in favor of carbon shafts.........makes me think about how I might utilize those old aluminum arrow shafts in the future!

Billy Tallant
07-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Very nice job. I've made several of these with camo arrows. Even made some out of carbon fiber. But never even thought of taking the paint off. I might just have to borrow this idea & try it out.

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Good looking pen! Shines up real pretty!

Jim Burr
07-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Looks like an astronaut pen! I like the thinking out of the box that pen guys are famous for!! Cool JD!!

James Combs
07-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I know that these are a stretch for this forum but I had to give them a try. Even I prefer wood to the aluminum.

Very nice job. I've made several of these with camo arrows. Even made some out of carbon fiber. But never even thought of taking the paint off. I might just have to borrow this idea & try it out.

Billy, when I bought the one aluminum arrow I also bought one camo carbon fiber. I will be trying it the next time I feel like doing a pen a little different. The carbon fiber though seems to be a little small in diameter, haven't measured it but... hope it isn't smaller then the pen hardware.

Looks like an astronaut pen! I like the thinking out of the box that pen guys are famous for!! Cool JD!!

Thanks Jim, the "astronaut" look is exactly what I don't like about it,:( to utilitarian, however, I will have to make one more, my wife liked it but she wants one just like it except with gold hardware.:rolleyes:

Dan Hintz
07-19-2011, 10:54 AM
I would have thought some sandpaper would have been faster than using a gouge if all you were doing was removing paint...

Looks nice, either way.

Jamie Donaldson
07-19-2011, 1:38 PM
JD- too bad you spent real money on new arrows, because I could have given you a good supply for free from my lost and found at my range here in Georgetown! Y'all stop in and see me some time!

Don Alexander
07-19-2011, 1:42 PM
hmmmmm looks like a cool idea for using my old arrows hehe not quite as nice as wood but still a sharp looking pen and a very good idea

James Combs
07-19-2011, 2:15 PM
I would have thought some sandpaper would have been faster than using a gouge if all you were doing was removing paint...

Looks nice, either way.

LOL, wanted to make sure it qualified as a turning.:D;):rolleyes: