PDA

View Full Version : More minis and some pens

David E Keller
07-18-2011, 10:26 PM
I've had an unusual amount of shop time lately due to my wife and kids visiting relatives in New England(Solitude gloat!:D).

I took a break from working on pieces for the WTA contest and had some fun with some little forms. I started out in the vortex making pens, but I haven't done any in almost a year... I rectified that little problem as well!:D

The only real camera that I know how to use left the house with my wife, so these are cell phone pics... Sorry to all you photo buffs!:o

The hollow forms from left to right are: birdseye sheoak, cherry burl with honduran rosewood, black ash burl with blackwood, red mallee burl, boxelder burl, and white ash burl. They're all just wet sanded with BLO and buffed.

The pens from left to right: blue boxelder burl, spalted maple burl, black ash burl, aspen burl, figured mesquite, green boxelder burl, and purple maple burl. All have a CA finish then Ren wax.

Comments and criticism always appreciated.

Tim Rinehart
07-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Outrageous! Simply cool. Send a pic of your tools...just for comparison to what I've been using. That's really nice details David...really nice.

Pete Jordan
07-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Wow David! Very cool!

cal thelen
07-18-2011, 10:47 PM
they all look great David !

Jon Lanier
07-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Those are not mini's.... those are super mini's. Nice Cigars too.

James Combs
07-18-2011, 10:50 PM
WOW! Those finials have to be straight pen diameter. NEAT. The pens are nice too. :-)

Roger Chandler
07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm lovin' those mini hollowforms and those tiny finials! I think you have the skill where you could turn your own toothpicks! The pens ain't bad either! ;)

Michael James
07-18-2011, 11:23 PM
These are all very cool pieces, thanks for getting them online! I like small but, dang, I'd need some readers on top of readers to see that small. Very nice assortment of pens too!
mj

Billy Tallant
07-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Now those are some nice mini's. I don't think my glasses are powerful to even see the details that small. Pens look great also.

Dane Fuller
07-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Holy cow, David! I completely forgot about miniatures until the pen was in the pic for scale. That is awesome!

Jim Burr
07-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Good thing my clubs are home...those would be great on the driving range and I can score my card with the pen!! Ha!!! Those really are cool doc...it's those fine motor skills you paid $100k for...see, it paid off!! How do you even chuck those????

Lupe Duncan
07-19-2011, 3:41 AM
Nice stuff David. Great forms on your minis and the pens are sharp.......

Russell Eaton
07-19-2011, 7:51 AM
Sweet pens and minis. Nice gloat as well, congrats on the shop time.

Johnny Taylor
07-19-2011, 8:12 AM
David, the mini forms are great, some nice shapes there and your timber supply will go a long way if you make them all this size! ;)

Chris Burgess
07-19-2011, 8:19 AM
Wholy Toledo!!!! Those minis are great. I am amazed, and the pens are awesome. What to you use for your Dye? I just keep scrolling up to the pics. I thought the HF's were cool but laughed out loud when I got to the one w/ the pen in it for size. Just amazing. Great job on all.

Alan Trout
07-19-2011, 8:45 AM
David, I really like your minis. Those are awesome.

Alan

Eric Holmquist
07-19-2011, 9:09 AM
I keep wanting to try minis and hollow forms, combining the two this way is great!

David E Keller
07-19-2011, 9:51 AM
Thanks for the comments!

Good thing my clubs are home...those would be great on the driving range and I can score my card with the pen!! Ha!!! Those really are cool doc...it's those fine motor skills you paid $100k for...see, it paid off!! How do you even chuck those????
Most of these started as full sized forms, but a lack of tool control led to reductions in size... The golf club thing would be fun, but I'd feel the need to turn my own tees. Most of these are turned with a glue block and parted off.

Wholy Toledo!!!! Those minis are great. I am amazed, and the pens are awesome. What to you use for your Dye? I just keep scrolling up to the pics. I thought the HF's were cool but laughed out loud when I got to the one w/ the pen in it for size. Just amazing. Great job on all.

The dyed blanks all came that way from Arizona Silhouette... They're stabilized and dyed. The boxelder burl blanks from there were great sellers for me when I was making a lot of pens.

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2011, 9:56 AM
David those a just to cool. Pens really are beauties.

Harvey Ghesser
07-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Love those giant pens, Keller!

Don Alexander
07-19-2011, 1:49 PM
very nice work and absolutely gorgeous wood

charlie knighton
07-19-2011, 2:15 PM
great forms, thanks for sharing David

Marc Himes
07-19-2011, 7:44 PM
Those are really small but really pretty. The finials are impressively tiny, great job. Nice pens too.

Baxter Smith
07-19-2011, 8:50 PM
Great work David. Those mini's are mini!

Kathy Marshall
07-20-2011, 2:26 AM
Those are some great looking minis David! Without the pen for scale, you'd never know they weren't "standard" sizes! That's a nice bunch of pens too! Reminds me that I need to get some more pens done too.

Rick Markham
07-20-2011, 3:55 AM
Those are super cool doc! I agree with Kathy, without the pen for reference they look like perfect regular sized hollowforms, right down to the finials, which are fantastic by the way. Now that's thin! Love the pens, yet another aspect of turning I want to venture into.

mike ash
07-20-2011, 9:09 AM
Way cool!!! I'd also like to see the tools you are using.
Great job.