PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work with Peruvian Walnut?

scott vroom
07-18-2011, 8:51 PM
I brought home a 4/4 rough Peruvian Walnut board last week to check it out. Took a skin off on the planner; it's darker than American Black, and the grain and color are more sedate. It almost has a slight purple blush. I think it's very classy. My local supplier sells it for $5.26 4/4 S&B while the American Black sells for $7.11 4/4 FAS. It's about the same hardness as American but supposedly mills better....maybe because the grain is straighter? Has anyone worked with this stuff? Looks like it would make an awesome table. Here's a pic....the white specs in the grain are shop dust. I hit the surface with a damp towel to bring out the color:

Keith Harrell
07-18-2011, 9:01 PM
I used it on my last project and it mills and sands great. The only issue would be it's a little darker and my be more open grain than American walnut so I just some tung oil. You are right on the sedate grain but it makes matching boards easier as my boards had no sap wood at all. Noticed you picture has those faint white lines in the grain that may show up after you apply finish if you don't fill it.
It reminds me of mahogany only way darker. Not sure why it cheaper but mine was also.
Good luck

scott vroom
07-18-2011, 9:06 PM
Keith, I just added a photo of my sample to my post.....did your Peruvian Walnut look the same? And I agree it does have a mahogany look to it.....but much darker. The boards at my supplier are mostly free of sapwood. I think it's a beautiful alternative to American Walnut.

Keith Harrell
07-18-2011, 9:22 PM
Yes exactly the same. That's why I edited my post to reflect the faint white lines. I think the dust get trapped in the open grain or at least on mine it did.
The only other problem I had which was my board selection process was not noticing some of the end grain edges that appeared to mildrew or mold. Even after planning it only got worst as it ran all the way into the board. 90% were perfect like your picture. The surface was fine and only noticed it when I had to plane it down to 3/4. They were purchased very close to 3/4 and if I left them alone I would not have noticed it. Not sure why two had the mold or ? running into the wood. It reminded me of some walnut I got what was put up wet without stickers to air dry. I used them on non show places so it all worked out.

Mike Cutler
07-19-2011, 9:12 AM
It's very nice stuff to work with, and finishes absolutely beautiful.
Drop the sandpaper and finish with a scraper and you'll end up with a better finish.
I have 15-20 bd/ft of Curly Peruvian Walnut in the shop. It's quite a bit darker than your photo though. It's been waiting for a special project.;)