PDA

View Full Version : The things we do for love.

Lamar Horton
02-16-2005, 6:29 PM
My son made this for a girl he has been sweet on for some time. He has been working on it for about two months. At one point he was thinking about giving up because he thought they were never going to be anything more than friends. His mother and I know the girl and like her a lot and encouraged him to continue.

The wood is purple heart and the finish is 50/50 BLO and mineral spirits. I was skeptical about how this box was going to turn out. But was impressed at the outcome. His mother and I are very proud, both for his skill and his taste in girls.

http://www.handcraftedbylamarhorton.com/assets/images/jewlery_box.jpg

Steve Inniss
02-16-2005, 7:10 PM
Lamar,
You have reason to be proud.
Please tell your son: great job on the box, and good luck with the recipient.
-Steve

Jim Becker
02-16-2005, 7:38 PM
That's outstanding! If it doesn't win the girl's heart...

Michael Stafford
02-16-2005, 8:08 PM
Nice looking box! Your son learned a lesson in perseverance and skills in woodworking. The box is very good.!

Doug Shepard
02-16-2005, 8:19 PM
That ought to score him some points with her.

Jerry Olexa
02-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Life lessons being taught here and will be remembered. Nice job! you all should be proud!

Robby Phelps
02-17-2005, 1:49 AM
Hi Lamar,

Tell your son that he did a nice job. How old is he and did he make it at home or at wood shop at school? I ask more for my interest in the lack of "shop" classes in high schools. It really is a sad delima. Sorry enough of the gloomy stuff. Again tell him nice work and i hope he stays with it and enjoys the craft.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-17-2005, 8:13 AM
That looks great! I am sure she will love it, especially the fact that he spent his free time to make something for her.

Lamar Horton
02-17-2005, 8:29 AM
Hi Lamar,

Tell your son that he did a nice job. How old is he and did he make it at home or at wood shop at school? I ask more for my interest in the lack of "shop" classes in high schools. It really is a sad delima. Sorry enough of the gloomy stuff. Again tell him nice work and i hope he stays with it and enjoys the craft.
Robby, he is 22 and is in college, he made the box here at home in my shop.

I showed him this thread and he thought is was pretty cool that all of you have responded and complimented his work. He thanks you all.

You are right about the shop classes in schools. It is very sad.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-17-2005, 8:41 AM
Wow, he did a great job Lamar! Sure looks nice, I'll bet she loves it...might even shed a different light on the relationship. :D:D:D

Jim Dunn
02-17-2005, 9:04 AM
Lamar your not trying to get that son of your's married off are ya. I made my wife a cutting board in high school shop, back in the day, and it may as well have been an engagement ring:) We've been together every since 35+ years.

By the way that is some fine craftmanship on that box. It's very well porportioned and the finish makes it shine.

Tom Ghesquiere
02-17-2005, 9:23 AM
That's great work on the box. A good woman will appreciate what your son has crafted. Also great to see the next generation of woodworker coming along. He's in for many years of enjoyment....and tool buying!

Tom

Harish C. Mathur
02-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Lamar, you have us all hanging on the edge of our internet seats! You have to report on how things turn out with your son and the lucky girl that gets this.

Randy Moore
02-17-2005, 6:35 PM
Good looking box and I want to know the the young lady says when she gets the box.

Tell your son we want SOME details

Randy

Dan Stuewe
02-17-2005, 8:03 PM
Lamar, don't let your son see any more posts or he'll find out for sure we're all just a bunch of old farts living life through the young'ns. (this from an old fart 13 years older than your son)

BTW, one of my biggest regrets in college was not using the on campus woodworking facilities (of course I had plenty else to do). But, if he as access to the tools at home, I guess he wouldn't need what they may have available.

lou sansone
02-17-2005, 9:52 PM
great looking box... Besides being a nice gift to his girl, it should also indicate the depth of his character. It is nice to see in this day and age of "just go out and buy it" that folks take the time to make something with their hands.

Harish C. Mathur
02-18-2005, 8:54 AM
[QUOTE=Dan Stuewe]Lamar, don't let your son see any more posts or he'll find out for sure we're all just a bunch of old farts living life through the young'ns. (this from an old fart 13 years older than your son)

Dan, you are spot on!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-18-2005, 9:07 AM
What about the "old fart" that is only one year older than his son!??! I want to know if she liked it! :) :)

Lamar Horton
02-18-2005, 9:34 AM
He hasn't given it to her yet, But I will certainly let you know how it goes, as we too are anxious.