PDA

View Full Version : Rainbows

Eric Holmquist
07-18-2011, 8:24 PM
Experimented with rainbow like imagery a bit

Started off with a mystery burl and airbrushed a rainbow on it after turning it for a pen. Really brought out the burl figure. CA finish.

Then made a mirror frame from maple, carved flower petals into a shallow dish and then airbrushed a rainbow pattern around the petals. Wipe-on-Poly.

Finally pierced a spiral into an elm bowl and airbrushed the pierced part rather then the rest of it to retain the figure. Finished with PolyWhey.

David E Keller
07-18-2011, 8:37 PM
Neat job on the coloring, Eric!

John Keeton
07-18-2011, 8:40 PM
Eric, you get the airbrush award this month!!! I like the pierced bowl quite a bit.

Scott Hackler
07-18-2011, 8:52 PM
Nice work. The pierced bowl gets my vote as well.

charlie knighton
07-18-2011, 9:36 PM
nice work, make it +3 on the pierced elm bowl, that thing is thin

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Nice work on everything Eric! Like the others have already mentioned - your pierced bowl really stands out! Nice form on the bowl, clean piercing but I really like how you restricted the color to just the pierced area! Don't believe I have seen that before and I really like the subtle difference in makes in the piece!

Looking forward to seeing where your rainbow colors take you next!

Michael James
07-18-2011, 11:26 PM
I've been waiting to see someone get after it with an airbrush! Looks like fun stuff - I love the flower frame!! Thanks for upping em.
mj

Billy Tallant
07-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Nice work on the airbrush work Eric! That pierced bowl is something else. Looks fantastic!

Eric Holmquist
07-19-2011, 7:18 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've been having a lot of fun since the Hartford Symposium playing around with embelishment. I am almost caught up with uploading photos of what I've been playing around with over the last year. A few more threads, and I shall be into an upload as it's completed mode.

Harvey Ghesser
07-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Nice work Eric. I love the elm bowl!

Marc Himes
07-19-2011, 7:47 PM
Nice work combining the piercing with the airbrush. I like the way you can gradually blend one color with the next. Thanks for the inspiration.

Baxter Smith
07-19-2011, 8:49 PM
All are nice Eric but the pierced bowl is a standout!

Kathy Marshall
07-20-2011, 2:30 AM
Ditto what everyone else said! Great looking pieces and I especially like the pierce bowl!

Dave Mueller
07-20-2011, 3:00 PM
Eric,
Another +1 on the bowl. The subtlety of the coloring and transition makes it special. Great job!

Tim Rinehart
07-20-2011, 4:28 PM
Eric, at the risk of being unoriginal and totally redundant...I like the pierced bowl the best also. That's some nice work.
I do like the pen coloring/finish, and nice work on the mirror frame. I'd bet the mirror would be a decent seller.

Eric Holmquist
07-20-2011, 7:31 PM
Thanks again, I actually loaned the bowl to a vendor at Totally Turning who was there to sell PolyWhey finish. She said it really helped to move product, folks actually hunted me down to ask about using that finish.

It's kind of funny, I am so new to piercing and airbrushing that it never occurred to me that airbrushing on the pierced area rather than on the un-pierced areas was unusual.

Tim - The mirror was a Christmas present to a teenage girl relative last year. Some of the ladies at work were ready to battle it out in an Iron Cage match if I would sell it!