PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

Steve Kennedy
07-18-2011, 7:53 PM
At what diameter should you go to a faceplate rather than a Woodworm screw? Thanks

David E Keller
07-18-2011, 8:02 PM
Not sure there's a 'right' answer there... If I've got big jaws on the chuck holding the screw, I don't know that I'd feel unsafe up to the limits of my lathe(20")... I always use the tailstock with the wormwood anyway. I've done 16" pieces that way with no issues. YMMV.

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2011, 8:04 PM
I agree with David - I don't use the woodworm as a stand alone drive but rather use it as a drive for a friction chuck with the tailstock providing all the pressure.

Tom Hamilton
07-18-2011, 8:07 PM
Steve, good to see you are still turning. I don't think we talked about that when you visited, but I agree with Steve and David. If you've got solid wood and a tailstock the screw chuck should be just fine.. A catch as you remove the nub may negate all advice.

Best regards, Tom

Jeff Fagen
07-18-2011, 8:24 PM
You should relax and only become nervous at the point when the blank abruptly leaves the lathe.:)

Pete Jordan
07-18-2011, 8:39 PM
I think it depends on which way you are turning. I use the wormwood screw with the tailstock until I am ready to finish the bottom. I take the tailstock away for the final cuts to make tenon to fit in the chuck to do the inside. I have not had any incidents since the bowl in balanced by that time.

Steve Kennedy
07-18-2011, 8:56 PM
Thanks guys! Just trying to keep the flying saucers to a minimum.
Tom, we covered a lot in a short period of time:)

Mike Peace
07-18-2011, 9:45 PM
Here is what the Teknatool manual for the SN2 says:
CAPACITY: DO NOT USE THE SCREW FOR VERY LARGE WOOD BLANKS. Its use is
intended for small bowl and screw chucking work. The maximum capacity which should be
mounted on the screw - 250mm (10 inches) diameter x 100mm (4 inches). DO NOT EXCEED
600 RPM FOR THIS OPERATION. Use tailstock support.

I personally would not feel comfortable going too far from this guidance.

Steve Kennedy
07-18-2011, 9:51 PM
Thanks Mike, good advise.