PDA

View Full Version : Mahout

charlie knighton
07-18-2011, 3:19 PM
4 1/2 h x 5 1/4 w

maple, bleached

Rover Series

comments are requested, need help to improve

i have made the legs more robust on this rover, this is the 4th piece i have bleached, on maple any spalting remains, on boxelder the red remains

probably take this one to instant gallery at North Carolina Symposium in november

:)

David E Keller
07-18-2011, 3:41 PM
That's a neat piece, Charlie!

Scott Hackler
07-18-2011, 3:47 PM
Really cool Charlie. I would like to see a straight on, profile shot as well.

Lionel Mercier
07-18-2011, 3:53 PM
Great idea, love the three feet base
(have one piece this way on the lathe...)

Marc Himes
07-18-2011, 4:00 PM
Very interesting. I like the carving on the body of the piece a lot. I think it could do well with or without legs. What kind of carving tools do you use? Do you have any special tools to help with sanding?

charlie knighton
07-18-2011, 4:46 PM
thanks David and Lionel for your comments, be sure to post your 3 legged piece Lionel, i am looking forward to it

Scott here ya go

Marc, i use a coping saw to rough cut the legs, also a rasp and a dremel tool set at low speed. all sanding is done off the lathe, hand sanding, start at 80 grit and go to 600 grit. the piece was turned at the end of last month, it was very wet and took 2 1/2 weeks to dry. do not try to carve or sand with wet wood.

Roger Chandler
07-18-2011, 4:59 PM
Its ALIVE! Nice work Charlie..........you have a nice series going with this crawly leg design!

Bill Bolen
07-18-2011, 6:31 PM
Very nice.

charlie knighton
07-18-2011, 7:43 PM
thanks Roger and Bill

Eric Holmquist
07-18-2011, 8:28 PM
Nice design, but it looks too alive. I would be afraid of what it would do in the dark when I went to sleep at night!

John Keeton
07-18-2011, 8:38 PM
Charlie, I like this one! I wonder what it would look like with some "glaze" rubbed into the carving to give it even more dimension?? Just wonderin'....

charlie knighton
07-18-2011, 9:33 PM
thanks Eric for your comments, i try not to have 2 Rovers within 5 feet of each other

John, my finishing skills are limited, describe this "glaze",
what, how, manufacture, how many coats, one color or differant color, etc.

John Keeton
07-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Charlie, there are many things that can be used for a glazed effect - just some darker color laid in the recesses to give the piece some dimension. What you use would depend on what finish you have on it already, as some applications may not be compatible. Some oil based paint, possibly acrylic paint - usually a fairly dry application works better. Let it dry some, and wipe off the high spots leaving the low areas with pigment in them. You would need to then let it dry completely and apply a finish over it to bind it.

It may not appeal to you, but it might make for an interesting look.

Here is a link to one choice - http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/mx/eng/oem/products/sherwood_glaze/?referringCategory=markets/wood_composite_building_products/wood_fillers_dyes_glazes_stains/

charlie knighton
07-19-2011, 9:27 AM
thanks for the comment and link John, we even have a sherman-williams store here

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2011, 9:57 AM
Charlie that is a interesting piece. Really well done.

Baxter Smith
07-19-2011, 9:15 PM
Pretty neat Charlie. Reminds me of something made of porcelain.

Kathy Marshall
07-20-2011, 2:15 AM
Cool looking piece Charlie! Looks like it's getting ready to skedaddle!

charlie knighton
07-20-2011, 10:02 AM
thanks for your comments Bernie, Baxter, and Kathy

Reminds me of something made of porcelain.

its fun to take a piece with this finish to a mixed media event, those pottery people start muttering, hehe

Tim Rinehart
07-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Your Rovers are pretty cool pieces Charlie, this one is no exception. I look forward to seeing them at NC symposium in Nov.
Interesting thoughts posed by JK on the glazing...hmm. So many options.