PDA

View Full Version : Mosaic Lazy Susan

Dick Wilson
07-18-2011, 1:05 PM
This the first time I have had a chance to post pics in well over a month. Weekend shows have kept me hopping. This is a commission piece from one of my shows. This is also the first lazy susan I have ever done. It has been a real learning curve.

Walnut base and Maple branch top. 15" diameter and 4" high. Epoxy pour to fill the voids.

On the next one I do I will brush lacquer on the edges of the limb pieces. I filled the voids with epoxy at the end of the day. Zero air bubbles in epoxy. The next morining to my disgust it was loaded with air bubbles. The only thing I can think of is that the epoxy pulled air out of the limb pieces.

I will also quote a much higher price on them. These a ton of work time. Comments and critique welcome

Michelle Rich
07-18-2011, 1:08 PM
very cool. I like it when folks make utiltarian ( or my preference: useful) items.

David E Keller
07-18-2011, 3:04 PM
Very cool, Dick. I love the randomness of the limb sections. Very cool piece!

Alan Trout
07-18-2011, 4:23 PM
Dick that is very nice. With any resin you run the risk of bubbles. With epoxy you should be able to get my with putting it in a vacuum chamber to remove them as the cure time is pretty slow. With the resins I use I have to use pressure because of the quick cure time. Well done.

Alan

Marc Himes
07-18-2011, 5:25 PM
That looks like it took a lot of time and effort, but it is well worth it. I can imagine lots of possibilities when you start adding smaller pieces and filling in the voids with epoxy. Great job.