PDA

View Full Version : retired novice trying woodworking

Irby Vaughn
07-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi, Guys and Gals. My name is Irby Vaughn (a new member.) About a year ago I inherited a bunch of old antique hand planes that used to belong to my wife's great grandfather. I have a Stanley 45 and 48, a couple of Ogontz planes number 3 and number 13, an A.C. Bartlett Ohio plane and the one I have questions about..a Stanley Gage self-setting plane with wooden base.It's a number G35. I'm curious why it has two sharpened blades one on top of the other with a chip breaker on top of the 2 blades. Common sense tells me when the bottom blade cuts a sliver, it will immediately jam between the blades because it won't make it to the chip breaker itself. Does anyone know if this plane is supposed to have 2 blades or is this a mis-assembled plane? The top blade appears to be made for this plane. And the bottom iron looks like it belongs there, too..I have found little reference to this G35 plane on the net..I'd love an exploded view of the parts, but I doubt that will happen..any ideas? thanks--Irby Vaughn, Olympia, WA

Mark Dorman
07-18-2011, 1:17 PM
I did a quick search and found this. Dosn't seem to be much at a quick glance.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?57786-So-tell-me-about-Stanley-Gage-planes

Stewie Simpson
07-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Welcome to the forum Irby.

Stewie.

Jim Koepke
07-19-2011, 2:38 AM
Irby,

I sent you a Private Message earlier.

Did you see it yet?

jtk

Irby Vaughn
07-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Actually I did not, Jim..since I am new here maybe I didn't know where to look for it!! Irby Vaughn

Jim Koepke
07-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Here is a copy of what I sent:

Hi Irby,

Welcome to the Creek.

I wish I could help with your plane problem.

It sounds like it has an extra blade.

Looking at:

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/tool...tanley_G6.html

makes it sound like you could be having problems setting the chip breaker.

I was in Olympia last Saturday. I am not sure when I will be up there again. If you like, I can try and contact you before our next trip that way. Otherwise, if you are ever heading this way you would be welcome to stop by so we can figure out the plane.

You might also have better luck if you repost your question.

Most people likely will not find it at the end of the thread where you placed it.

You may want to start over with a new thread.

On the left near the top of the Neanderthal Haven conference is a "button" for this, (+ Post New Thread).

Good luck with what ever you do.

jtk

In addition to the above, you should be able to view or send private messages by clicking on the (Private Messages) section of the bar at the top of the window.

jtk

John A. Callaway
07-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Scroll up to the very top of this or any sawmill creek webpage and look in the upper right hand corner. If you are logged in you will see your name up there....and a few different words....click on notifications....that will take you to your private message box.