PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia/Walnut Hollow Form

Roger Chandler
07-18-2011, 12:35 PM
This is what I had a chance to work on this weekend. Not finished yet, still have some final sanding with abralon to knock back the finish a little and some WOP final coats.

The whole form including finial stands at approx. 9.50 inches and the width is 4.25 + inches. My photo set up is challenged as far a lighting goes, and that causes the walnut lid to appear darker than it looks in person.

The finial is about 2.5 inches......I thought on this type of form it looked better with a shorter finial.........this ambrosia maple is from a tree in my neighbors yard I posted about on this thread. Form and finial are from the wood in this tree.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?163067-quot-Little-quot-ambrosia-gloat-of-massive-proportions&highlight=

John Keeton
07-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Roger, Ambrosia Maple and walnut are such a nice match, and they age well together, too. Nice work on this one, and some nice detailing on the underside of the lid/top, as well.

Walnut is difficult to photograph - it seems to soak up light like a sponge. If you get it exposed correctly, then the maple washes out. You did as well as can be expected here, I suspect.

Roger Chandler
07-18-2011, 1:29 PM
John,

The photographic challenges show up in that finial as well............some time back you said the picture would make the light colored finials look even bigger than they are........how true..........this one fits the form well to the eye, but the pictures make it look bigger on the form than it is.

Also, I finished the form on Saturday, and did the finial this morning.........although the wood was from the same tree, the finial shows up lighter in color than the form..........go figure!

I think that may even out in with time, and I still have a couple coats of WOP to put on it as well.........that may darken it a little.

Tim Thiebaut
07-18-2011, 2:49 PM
Great looking piece Roger! Love that ambrosia you used to, beautiful wood!

John Keeton
07-18-2011, 4:03 PM
Roger, you can also add a drop or two of dye with the WOP and use that only on the finial. Might add just the right amount of color change for you. Since you already have finish on it, if it doesn't do what you want, just wipe it off with MS.

Scott Hackler
07-18-2011, 4:38 PM
Nice job Roger. That ambrosia is some very pretty wood that is a blast to turn, isn't it.

Roger Chandler
07-18-2011, 5:38 PM
Nice job Roger. That ambrosia is some very pretty wood that is a blast to turn, isn't it.

To date, I think I like cherry and this ambrosia about as good as any wood I have turned so far, Scott. BTW, that was a nice square edge you did on your piece of ambrosia maple.

Dane Fuller
07-18-2011, 6:35 PM
Roger,
I haven't been around here long and still have no idea what I'm doing so I can't give an opinion other than to say I love the wood and the piece looks great to me. I'd like to get my hands on some ambrosia maple.

Rich Aldrich
07-18-2011, 9:36 PM
Roger - I really like this piece - the design and the choice of woods.

wes murphy
07-18-2011, 9:57 PM
Photographically challenged or not, that's a nice form.

Roger Chandler
07-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks Rich, Thanks Wes!!! I appreciate it!

Michael James
07-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Interesting piece there. The lighting colors seem off, but Im guessing the walnut really goes with the beetle tracks! Thanks for upping!
mj

Roger Chandler
07-19-2011, 7:03 AM
Interesting piece there. The lighting colors seem off, but Im guessing the walnut really goes with the beetle tracks! Thanks for upping!
mj

Yeah, Micheal..........the walnut really picks up the beetle tracks on this..........I just wish it would show up better in the pics. I was trying to give some lift up to the finial, and now that I look at it, I think a lid with slightly less height might have worked better, but the ogee curve in it would not be as pronounced either.........catch 22!

Roger Chandler
07-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Showed this piece tonight at one of our club meetings..........almost did not make it to the meeting because one of my fellow turners who rode in the car with us, decided he wanted to take it home....:D.

....numerous compliments on the form at the meeting, which of course required me to deflate my ego just a little on the way home! ;)

Kathy Marshall
07-20-2011, 1:45 AM
Nice job Roger! and some pretty wood to boot!

Roger Chandler
07-20-2011, 8:16 AM
Nice job Roger! and some pretty wood to boot!

Speaking of the wood, Kathy............on your post where you turned some of this...........you mentioned you put BLO on it. I have never used BLO............does that account for the darkening from what I have in the form above? I like the look of yours a lot.

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Really a nice looking piece Roger. I do like the wood combo. Yes Roger BLO will darken the piece.