PDA

View Full Version : lasering leather

Brian Terry
07-18-2011, 12:30 PM
After posting about leather keyfobs, I found through the help of SMC, a supplier. I have cut and marked leather. It works great. After cutting the leather it is left with a foul smell. Any suggestions for removing the lingering smell.

Stephen Kane
07-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Try essential oils

Joe De Medeiros
07-18-2011, 1:13 PM
I let it air out for a few days after cutting it, and it's not as bad.

Chris DeGerolamo
07-18-2011, 2:24 PM
Depending on the weight/thickness of the leather, you may benefit from wetting the leather before cutting it. I'd do a test on a scrap piece and see what you think. The smell is pretty well there to stay...no pun intended, but it's pretty well the nature of the beast.

Mike Null
07-18-2011, 4:38 PM
Use a diluted household cleaner such as Pine-sol or Mr. Clean after engraving.

Tristan Ranatza
07-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Are you talking about the smell in your machine or your items? If it's your items what I do is just throw them in a pillow case with a few dryer sheets and a wet rag then tumble dry them on the "air dry" setting for about an hour. Usually takes the smell right out.

As for your machine... it goes away eventually.

Chris DeGerolamo
07-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Are you talking about the smell in your machine or your items? If it's your items what I do is just throw them in a pillow case with a few dryer sheets and a wet rag then tumble dry them on the "air dry" setting for about an hour. Usually takes the smell right out.

As for your machine... it goes away eventually.

Does this process remove the smell or mask it? Does it change the properties of the leather at all?

Bill Cunningham
07-19-2011, 9:13 PM
I use a spray on leather cleaner/preserver/waterproofer available from shoe stores (it called The Tannery spray on leather cleaner), after lasering the piece.. It goes on a bit thick, but I can smear it around with my finger, and then wipe it lightly with a shop type paper towel. Once the leather is still thinly covered, let it sit until it drys (about 2 hours).. When it dries, it does not change the colour of the leather at all.. This stuff seems to kill the smell, and keep fingers from smearing any of the areas that are darker onto areas that are not.. This piece below was 12 x 18 and the leather was lasered raw, the sprayed with the cleaner above..The smear marks on the bottom is where I removed the personal info on this particular image for the post..

Dan Hintz
07-19-2011, 9:31 PM
Can't say I've ever seen a wedding photo where the background was a freeway... ;)

Bill Cunningham
07-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Can't say I've ever seen a wedding photo where the background was a freeway... ;) Ya It was a first for me too, could be they both work for the highway dept. or maybe they met on a bridge,or maybe after the picture was taken they turned and bungee jumped..It's a mystery..ha..
It was their third anniversary (leather?) and was ordered by a friend as a gift. It did come out nice though..

Dan Hintz
07-20-2011, 6:25 AM
or maybe after the picture was taken they turned and bungee jumped.
Hopefully with a really short cord ;)

Tristan Ranatza
07-20-2011, 7:30 PM
This took the smell out... I think. The smell only hangs around for a few days, after that it is very faint. The water and dryer sheets will actually take most of the smell out. Word of warning, when you run it take your dryer filter out or the next time you use a heat setting it will smell "very much badly"!

Brian Terry
07-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I just let the leather sit for a couple of days and the smell seems to have left

Bill Cunningham
07-23-2011, 9:44 PM
Amazing eh! When the animal is still alive, they can stink for years..ha.

Dee Gallo
07-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Bill, that is a really nice portrait - the color of the leather really gives it a warm feeling. You always do a great job with your photo prep.

cheers, dee

Frank Corker
07-24-2011, 4:54 PM
I'm with Dee, great job on the leather Bill, one of the best that I've seen.

Bill Cunningham
07-24-2011, 8:38 PM
Wow... Thanks for the complements. Hearing it from people like you guys, who Really have artistic talent, means a lot.. I didn't want to hijack Brian's thread, Just wanted to mention that spray I use..I've had the can of stuff for 15 years, don't even know if you can still get it. But it does seal the leather nice, keeps fingers from migrating the darker areas, and does not change the original colour which really surprised me when I first tested it..