PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket flip stop for Excalibur

Larry Fox
07-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Guys, I recently put an Excalibur on my table saw and it seems to be a great sliding table with the exception of the flip-stop. It comes as an accessory and the guy I bought it from didn't have one so I bought one. It came in on Friday and MAN what a disappointment. It was supposed to ride in a slot in the fence but it that part was machined a bit wide. 20 minutes with a file fixed that. Biggest problem is that the built-in ruler sits so far back in the fence that the flip stop does not ride close enough to it and there is no good way to index off it so your cuts become essentially guesses with a margin of error of about 1/8". Seems like General really wiffed on the design of this one and I can't believe there would not be an aftermarket replacement that actually worked.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Steve Griffin
07-18-2011, 2:10 PM
I've used that flip stop for about 100,000 cuts and had no idea it didn't work. ;)

Flip it up and it lays on the ruler, tighten the knob, flip it down and cut. Mines 10 years old, so maybe the design changed. There is a tiny amount of slop in it, so when flipped up I hold a slight amount of forward pressure on it reads exactly the same tightened and untighted.

-Steve

Larry Fox
07-18-2011, 2:40 PM
I've used that flip stop for about 100,000 cuts and had no idea it didn't work. ;)

Flip it up and it lays on the ruler, tighten the knob, flip it down and cut. Mines 10 years old, so maybe the design changed. There is a tiny amount of slop in it, so when flipped up I hold a slight amount of forward pressure on it reads exactly the same tightened and untighted.

-Steve

Ok - so this might just turn out to be one of those DUH moments for me. Steve, silly of me but it never dawned on me to try that. This slider is replacing a Jessem that I have been using for years and I set in the down position and there is a flat part directly in-line with the stop that sets it pretty accurately.

I will give that a whirl tonight but It sounds like it will work just fine.

Larry Fox
07-18-2011, 7:20 PM
Yep - it's official, it's a DUH moment. Tried Steve's idea and it worked just fine. This i one of those times when I wish I could delete a thread. :)

Thanks Steve.