PDA

View Full Version : New shoe size?

Dave Lehnert
07-18-2011, 11:51 AM
The last 3 pair of shoes I have purchased has been 1 to 1 1/2 size smaller than what I have worn for years. Anyone notice shoe sizes getting smaller?
Wonder if they are vanity sizing shoes now??

BOB OLINGER
07-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I haven't noticed that, but I have definitely noticed the trend for shoe manufacturers to cut down on the width selection, even the good old name brands. I have narrow feet and usually purchased "B" width, always Florscheims for casual or dress shoes. Seems a lot of shoes now are medium or wide in width. Florsheim used to offer multiple widths in all shoes, now only a limited number of styles have the narrow ("B") width - really disturbing.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Shoes sizes have always been hit and miss from one company to another......even one shoe model or style within a given company. There are also European shoes sizes and US shoes sizes. My In-laws owned a shoe store for 35+ years. On the annual community sale day, I often helped out selling shoes there.

I have worn EE and EEE shoes widths since I was a young teen. It has always been difficult to find shoes that fit my feet. I hate shopping by the Internet or by mail for shoes as it results in a lot of returns.

But typically .....most people's feet widen as they get older.

Joe Angrisani
07-18-2011, 12:32 PM
....But typically .....most people's feet widen as they get older.

I can think of a few parts that have widened as I've aged.... :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-18-2011, 12:35 PM

I was trying to stay on topic here Joe....but I resemble and understand the problems to which you refer.:o

Belinda Barfield
07-18-2011, 3:42 PM
Wonder if they are vanity sizing shoes now??

If they are, they aren't doing it with women's shoes. The last pair of shoes I bought was a size and a half larger than I typically wear. You think shoes are hard? Try shopping for women's jeans (not for yourself of course). Vanity sizing is one of the stupidest thngs I've ever seen.

John Coloccia
07-18-2011, 4:17 PM
Shoes sizes have always been hit and miss from one company to another......even one shoe model or style within a given company. There are also European shoes sizes and US shoes sizes. My In-laws owned a shoe store for 35+ years. On the annual community sale day, I often helped out selling shoes there.

I have worn EE and EEE shoes widths since I was a young teen. It has always been difficult to find shoes that fit my feet. I hate shopping by the Internet or by mail for shoes as it results in a lot of returns.

But typically .....most people's feet widen as they get older.

I've worn EEE my whole life. Woe to he who comes out with an 11D (i.e. standard) when I ask for a 10 1/2 EEE. It makes me want to shove their head into a small jar for a few hours, and then ask them "how do YOU like it?".

"Just do my a favor and try them on". That's when I go through the roof.

I've noticed that shoes ARE getting narrower, and that EEE as a size appears to be disappearing too. Now I see a lot just labeled "Wide". Huh? Wide is a size? I thought wide was an adjective but apparently it's a unit of measure. I've also seen a lot more shoes, shirts etc that are mislabeled for whatever reason. Don't ask me why. Maybe you're getting a bunch of the mislabeled ones for whatever reason.

Kent A Bathurst
07-18-2011, 5:37 PM
I dunno...........regardless of the size on the shoe box, they all seem to fit just fine in my mouth.

John McClanahan
07-18-2011, 6:00 PM
I've worn size 10-1/2 for many years. I now need 11 or 11-1/2. Cheating on the sizes when making shoes doesn't make any sense, as shoes aren't priced by the size.

John

Brian Brown
07-18-2011, 6:21 PM

Too many parts for me. Waaaaaay too many!

Brian Elfert
07-18-2011, 7:55 PM
I've not noticed shoe sizes changing. I have worn the same model and size of Rockport shoes for perhaps 10 years. I chose this model because it comes in a wide size that I need. I just buy the same shoe model every time. I go through a pair every 18 to 24 months. The last time I ordered through Amazon and they still fit fine.

I noticed a lot of reviews on Amazon saying something had changed in the production of the shoe and they were uncomfortable for some folks, but I didn't have that problem.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-19-2011, 4:14 PM
Weight gain/loss can affect shoe size. Also, if you change styles so that a shoe is narrower or wider also has affect.