PDA

View Full Version : Monochromatic Dreams

Johnny Taylor
07-18-2011, 11:31 AM
This is the start of a new direction/series of pieces I wish to create. Hopefully with a darker feel to them
than what I have been doing of late.For an idea of size the square base is 5"x5"
Comments and critiques are welcomed. There is a great deal more on this on my blog(link in my profile)about how it came about etc if anyone fancies a look.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/monosmall-1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/monochromatic005.jpg

Jim Underwood
07-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Johnny,

I'm not seeing the linkie in your profile...

I'm interested in how this came about. Kinda scary!

Dennis Ford
07-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Very interesting piece. The spikes seem over the top to me but the workmanship is very very good.

Johnny Taylor
07-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Jim the link is under 'Home Page' in my profile.

Tim Thiebaut
07-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Love it, really interested in seeing where this series goes, good work Johnny.

EDIT - Ok after reading your homepage/blog I have a couple of questions, you mention how the brass finials fed the idea, did you turn these spikes your self like the brass ones? And what do you use to insure the holes for the spikes are evenly drilled around the work piece, or do you do it freehand? I recently purchased the Oneway Drill Wizard and am loving it, I am working on a big project now where it was needed, and has really come in handy for drilling precise holes evenly, so was just curious how you did it, again love this piece!

Scott Hackler
07-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Johnny,

I like about anything that steps "outside the box" and this is no exception. Really interesting form. The thick bowl looks good in this concept and I equate a dark, thick bowl with a "darker side" so that works for me. The spikes are an inportant addition to this piece but I think the next one's "spikes" should be refined to a straight taper, without the end details. Maybe a tad thinner on the diameter of the spikes but I would have to see a straight one before I could decide on that.

Thanks for sharing.

Michelle Rich
07-18-2011, 1:06 PM
outside the sphere alright...I like the spikes, the black & the textured areas..maybe small silver spikes up from the rim? no need then to have a sign that says: "do not touch" :-0 Just joshin' ya....it's wild!

Dan Cannon
07-18-2011, 2:04 PM
VERY cool! I like it a lot. I really like the spike in the center that forces it to rest on the rim spikes. I'm a fan of unique designs and concepts too, this should be fun to watch as it progresses.
thanks for sharing,
Dan

Tim Rinehart
07-18-2011, 2:29 PM
That's outside the box...I like it. Hey...toss it over here...er, second thought, I'll just zoom the pics! Really cool JT...looking forward to others.

Jim Burr
07-18-2011, 2:46 PM
Really has a dark almost deep space feel to it. It could look cool hanging from the ceiling!

David E Keller
07-18-2011, 3:01 PM
It's technically wonderful, and I like the coloring. It's not really my cup of tea aesthetically, but I certainly appreciate the skill it takes to finish such a piece.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-18-2011, 5:56 PM
Johnny,
I like a piece that begs to be picked up and handled. The shape of your piece, minus the spikes would certainly fit that criterion. I have to comment on how fantastic I think the silver colored textured section looks against the black background. What a great idea to texture and highlight. The black finish took real confidence because black can show off every imperfection. However, nothing would have looked as striking as a background to the highlighted band. I hope a piece from this collection can be dark but "huggable".
faust

John Keeton
07-18-2011, 8:35 PM
I have been pondering this one! I like the look, and the concept. The vessel alone is gorgeous!

I agree on more of a straight taper of the spikes, but I have another concern. Most folks would want to display a piece, and I would be afraid to set this turning on a piece of furniture for fear of marring the surface. Do you intend the base to be affixed? If so, then something smaller and more in tune with the character of this piece.

charlie knighton
07-18-2011, 9:44 PM
that's cool, Johnny

the thick black bowl is very nice, the inlaid silver band adds dimension, the points....futureristic

thanks for sharing

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Well - this is quite different from what we are used to seeing here! Thanks for that!!

Love the colors used - they play well together! Also like the contrast between the spikes, the smooth bowl and the roughly textured area! It has a somewhat menacing quality to it and I don't usually sense that with a turning! Like some of the others... I'm not sure of the shape of the spikes and think either a smooth taper or even just cylinders with no taper at all would work well. I do like the sense of motion you get from this piece. Even though it sits at a fixed angle - it looks like it could roll to the next spike to change positions quite easily!

Pretty cool concept and I look forward to see where this takes you!

Michael James
07-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Heavy metal thunder.... where's my steppenwolf CD?? LIke that stuff, it's very imaginative, goth and whatever else it may represent these days. Hard to beat silver on black for a bold statement! Keep em coming, I love it!
mj

Russell Eaton
07-19-2011, 8:00 AM
I must confess.. that is not what I was expecting to see. I like it, very modern with the spikes. Did you turn the spikes on your wood lathe? Looking forward to see what is next.

Johnny Taylor
07-19-2011, 8:09 AM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions :) There are more ideas along these lines to follow....

Russell, yes they are turned on the wood lathe with normal HSS tools, aluminium is a nice soft metal to turn with.

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Really a interesting piece.

Johnny Taylor
07-19-2011, 2:55 PM
Thanks Bernie :)

Baxter Smith
07-19-2011, 9:04 PM
Pretty neat. Reminds me of an old helmet. At least one I have seen in TV commercials!

Rick Markham
07-20-2011, 2:20 AM
I like it :D I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this series. John K. brings up a good "point" (couldn't resist) about possibly marring a display surface. It would look pretty wicked rested on top of the spikey surface of a burl cap, or a whole thin slice of some crazy burl. I like the embelishments a lot. Well done, bring on the next one :)

Hmmmm a popcorn bowl with spikes on it would keep the LOML from hogging the bowl... you might be on to something! See y'all in the doghouse :D