PDA

View Full Version : Monster bits

Richard Jones
07-18-2011, 9:21 AM
A question for you Monster users, maybe others as well that use a similar system: Do you snap the bit in half when using the 45 bar? Can't see much other way to utilize a smaller opening for the vessel...............

Thanks.

Rich

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-18-2011, 9:51 AM
Richard,
I have the Monster system but hand hollow. I bought an assortment of spare cutters from Enco. I cut them to the length needed. I also made a bunch of small diameter tools for small openings. My smallest is only 3/8" diameter with a 1/8" square cutter. I drill through the bars (I use drill rod) to allow the cutters to stick out at various angles, use a reducing collar and stick them in a handle. If you have a lathe mounted hollowing system, you can probably do something similar and insert the home made portion into your boring bar. My tiny opening tools are just allen wrenches bent and sharpened and stuck in a screwdriver size handle. Whatever works !!!

Robert McGowen
07-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Yes, you can snap the bits in half. Just score them, put them in a vice and snap them in half. YMMV

David E Keller
07-18-2011, 3:06 PM
I cut mine in half as Robert described. I also get my extra cutter from Enco as Faust suggested.

Peter Fabricius
07-18-2011, 8:10 PM
Hi Richard;
I have had the Monster system since February 11 and love it. I snap the cutters in half and then sharpen all four ends. This gives you more cutting surfaces to use before going back to the grinder. I also built a small 3"wide x 2"deep platform for my Varigrind system. I cut a slot for the stone to go into so the platform can come up and surround the stone. This gives a much better platform to get the small pieces of cutters up close to the stone. My favorite cutter is the 3/16" square cutter, it seems to work so well. The 1/4" square cutter is also great but it is more agressive.
The main tool bar is 5/8" into the holder... I made a sleeve so I can use smaller bars in the holder. Great for smaller turnings.
Good luck and enjoy the Monster.
Peter F.

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2011, 8:50 PM
Richard - I have some my cutters full length and some I have snapped in half. Which one I use depends on how close to the opening I am hollowing. I also have both of the Monster hollowing systems and when I can no longer angle the cutter to place it inside the form - I switch over to the articulated system. When hollowing through a small entry hole, this allows me to position the cutter at as sharp an angle as necessary to get inside the form.