PDA

View Full Version : More Cermark Questions

Deb Kaiser
07-16-2011, 9:09 AM
Scott,
I noticed you have a Universal. We have a Versa Laser. I am trying to put a name on a stethoscope for a friend. Tried it on antohter scope with Cernmark and it worked greatm but on the one I am trying to do know is driving me crazy. The name will not stay. it washes rightoff. Since it is not mine I hate to practice any more on that piece. Any suggestions with settings or what to do. Deb

Scott Shepherd
07-16-2011, 10:57 AM
I am trying to put a name on a stethoscope for a friend. Tried it on antohter scope with Cernmark and it worked greatm but on the one I am trying to do know is driving me crazy. The name will not stay. it washes rightoff. Since it is not mine I hate to practice any more on that piece. Any suggestions with settings or what to do. Deb

Hi Deb, what wattage machine are you using, and what are the settings you are trying? I assume it's a chrome plated stethoscope? I'm not the cermark guru on here, but if you post your wattage and your settings, I'm sure we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Deb Kaiser
07-16-2011, 11:17 AM
It says it is stainless steel. The wattage is 50 max. I have tried various settings. 50 power 50 speed 1000 dpi, 100 p 40 speed 800 dpi, even tried slowing the speed down to 25. I used small amount sandpaper to try to scratch the surface incase there was a coating over the top. Looked at previous posts. One said to run the project with the cerMark then without moving it put the ceramark one the run it again. I did make a jig to hold the scope.

Mike Null
07-18-2011, 6:16 AM
This thread has been separated from another thread.

Dan Hintz
07-18-2011, 6:21 AM
You mean this one... with nothing in it? ;)

Mike Null
07-18-2011, 6:23 AM
Dan

Don't be a wise guy--I'm still learning how to drive this thing.:o

Rodne Gold
07-18-2011, 6:48 AM
I recon you need to drop speed even more , the cerdec relies on heat to "fuse" the material into the metal so maybe its not generating enough local heat.
I would try something like 100% power and 10% speed.....

Mike Null
07-18-2011, 8:03 AM
It may be easier to engrave the neoprene (?) tube.

Andrea Weissenseel
07-19-2011, 2:27 AM
I pretty often engrave chrome and steel cutlery with Thermark, and use 20% S / 95% P for best results. When it is coated, you'll have no chance to get it to hold. Once had the same problem with brass trumpets, they also were coated and no chance to get through that coat or take it off without ruining it.

Scott Balboa
07-19-2011, 1:12 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but try 10% speed, 100% power. Should help a lot.

Dan Hintz
07-19-2011, 2:08 PM
I think 10S would be a bit too hot for a 50W (and good stethoscopes ain't cheap!), but on the other hand, if 20S isn't cutting it...

Dave Gates
07-19-2011, 4:18 PM
Deb, I have a 50w ULS....I usually use 100P 40S and 300-600 dpi for most cermark applications.

Gary Hair
07-19-2011, 4:21 PM
I think 10S would be a bit too hot for a 50W (and good stethoscopes ain't cheap!), but on the other hand, if 20S isn't cutting it...

I agree. I use 10s on my 30 watt machine on almost any stainless and have rarely had any problems with it sticking, including stethoscopes.

Gary

Amy Shelton
07-19-2011, 5:17 PM
Mine is 50w ULS... 100p 30S 500 ppi for stainless, and for triple-nickel-plate (like wrenches) but I did some tri-chrome cake serving pieces that required 100p 22s 500ppi. That's for using the spray can LMM-6000. I marked some aluminum and the LMM14 worked better, but like others have said here, aluminum is not fun, too soft and unpredictable.

Bill Cunningham
07-19-2011, 9:32 PM
It may be easier to engrave the neoprene (?) tube.

Yup I discovered that by accident a couple of years ago.. And you 'do' get a nice contrast..

Gary and Jessica Houghton
07-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Scott,
I noticed you have a Universal. We have a Versa Laser. I am trying to put a name on a stethoscope for a friend. Tried it on antohter scope with Cernmark and it worked greatm but on the one I am trying to do know is driving me crazy. The name will not stay. it washes rightoff. Since it is not mine I hate to practice any more on that piece. Any suggestions with settings or what to do. Deb

I have a 35w and I use 20s/100p for cermark. If the mark won't stick even after all you have tried, maybe you should talk the customer into an identification tag.
I got these from the lunatickstore dot com or from amazon dot com.
I have bought several of these. I have had to take the piece they include and copy the shape and use my own material (silver flexibrass). This might just have to do.