PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Squared

Scott Hackler
07-17-2011, 11:54 PM
This is my first square (and suspended) bowl. I bought a small piece of ambrosia maple from Mike Smith and really didn't know what to turn out of it, so I let the gouge and the wood tell me what to make. I haven't turned maple in a while and I had really forgotten what a pleasure it is to make curlies from wet maple! What fun!!

I decorated the edges with a little circle pattern tip I made for my Burnmaster.

This one is about 6" square x 1 1/4" tall. The bottom of the "bowl" is suspended 1/2" or so off the table. Finished with BLO, 3 coats of lacquer and Ren Wax.

Comments and such are expected! Thanks.... :)

David Reed
07-18-2011, 12:07 AM
I haven't been a real fan of the square bowls but I am rapidly changing my outlook. this is terrific. Are you concerned that it may warp and end up with only two or three of those little 'feet' on the table?

Alan Trout
07-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Scott very nice. I see you have been burning and carving away. Well. done.

Alan

Marty Eargle
07-18-2011, 12:18 AM
A bowl very similar to this was the first thing I turned out of wood from Mike Smith. I will agree that turning that AM is a joy...the chunk a square bowl will take out of your knuckle, not so much. :D

I'm usually weird about textured edges, but this along with the thickness that you left go quite well.

Kelvin Burton
07-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Scott, I really like what you did with this block of Maple! Very pleasant curves and the edge treatment complements it well.

David E Keller
07-18-2011, 12:40 AM
That's a cool piece, Scott! The burning really highlights the natural color in the wood and frames the piece nicely.

Tim Thiebaut
07-18-2011, 12:57 AM
Well done Scott this is very nice, any chance we could get a close up of the edge burning you did?

Marc Himes
07-18-2011, 2:49 AM
Great wood. very cool form and neat burning. Well done Scott!

Michelle Rich
07-18-2011, 5:27 AM
I like that the "bowl" area is not defined..it rather oozes out to the wings. The burning is an interesting texture/shape. It does define the shape /ends. The question I am asking is: if the bowl oozes should the edges be so defined? Maybe so..it does draw the eye, and puts the feet on the table top. funny, as I look at it, I expect it to scrabble away!

Donny Lawson
07-18-2011, 6:50 AM
Fantastic looking bowl Scott. Love the detail work on the edges. Looks like you have had plenty of practice.

John Keeton
07-18-2011, 7:28 AM
Excellent work, Scott! I looked long and hard at all of that Ambrosia Maple that Mike had at his booth - should have bought some! You did a really nice job of making the form flow, and I like the rim treatment. I do hope is remains stable for you and doesn't develop some "rock", but in either event, you should be proud of this one.

Bob Rotche
07-18-2011, 8:35 AM
Outstanding work, Scott! I have been wanting to try one of these square bowls for awhile but haven't found the time. Love the fluid lines on the piece. Any chance we can see the bottom? And maybe a close-up of the rim? I agree with those voicing concerns about stability when dry- seems like small amount of movement would pull one or 2 of the feet off the ground.

Toney Robertson
07-18-2011, 9:30 AM
I love the form and finish but for me the edge is a distraction and detracts from the piece.

Tim Rinehart
07-18-2011, 9:35 AM
Very nice bowl Scott. I have only done a couple of these, but you really make a nice departure with the rim treatment and the flow into the bowl. Great way to show off a gorgeous piece of wood too!! Well done!

Scott Hackler
07-18-2011, 9:47 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. When I roughed this one out the moisture meter measured 15%. I waited a few days with it just sitting on the counter and it measured 6.5%, so I returned in to the lathe using a jam chuck, cleaned up the bottom and sanded this while holding it in my hand! I was afraid of catching the power sanding pad on the "propeller" that was spinning! There was a very small amount of "lift" to one of the legs and I sanded it down a bit to have the piece sit solidly. We will see what happens later.

Since the edges werent turned down to nothingness, I thought they looked a bit plain and so the woodburner decorations were applied. To my eye, expecially in person, it really added to the piece but I realize that treatment isn't for everyone.

John W Dixon
07-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Scott, I like the edge treatment with the burner. I have been thinking about stepping into the woodburner world. What are your impressions of the Burnmaster?

Russell Eaton
07-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Scott looks great. I like the burn marks as well. Thanks for showing.

Scott Hackler
07-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Scott, I like the edge treatment with the burner. I have been thinking about stepping into the woodburner world. What are your impressions of the Burnmaster?

John, I love the Burnmaster unit but I have nothing to really compare it to. The "other" woodburner I own is one of those $20 cheapy deals from Wal-Mart. There is NO comparison between them. The Burnmaster gets orangey hot in about 10 seconds and cools down to the touch in 15 or so. Having the ability to turn up or down the heat is helpful as well and with the addition to some NiChrome wire.... well you can make your own tips like the one used in this piece. There is a little practice needed to see "what happens" when you either make a certain tip and the correct heat settings for that tip, but with a piece of scrap wood its pretty simple.

Now there are two versions of the Burnmaster. The Eagle and the Hawk. The only difference between the two is that the Eagle has two pens and the Hawk doesn't. Might be convenient if you are always needing to switch between two tips but I am not ....so I bought the smaller Hawk.

Karl Card
07-18-2011, 11:30 AM
I absolutely love the square bowls. I have 4 cocobolo blanks that I am waiting for the right time and in the right mood to make a set... I do have problems with getting the "legs" to sta on... maybe I am just making the "legs" to long..

Anyway pretty square bowl for sure...

charlie knighton
07-18-2011, 11:51 AM
nice bowl.....

wes murphy
07-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Nice piece Scott. I've turned square bowls the other way, but I'm haveta try this one.

jwjerry w kowalski
07-18-2011, 1:22 PM
Scott, I really like your edge treatment, it enhances the beautiful wood and makes it so much more interesting to look at. I'm going to have to try one of these in the future after seeing yours, I was never that keen on them before, bu t have changed my mind after viewing yours.

Dan Cannon
07-18-2011, 1:50 PM
Very nice Scott! I love the square bowls and suspended bowls, but have not quite progressed that far yet. This one is really good looking, thanks for sharing!

Lionel Mercier
07-18-2011, 4:11 PM
gouge and wood spoke well !
and you worked too, I love this flowing shape

Scott Hackler
07-19-2011, 12:23 AM
per request... here is the edge detail and the back side, thanks.

Tim Thiebaut
07-19-2011, 12:54 AM
per request... here is the edge detail and the back side, thanks.

Thanks for posting this close up SCott, just like I thought, looks great up close as well! But I just wanted an idea of the shape of the burn I couldnt make out the detail in the other photo, thanks again...

Baxter Smith
07-19-2011, 9:17 PM
A real standout Scott. I like the way the burning seems to frame the ambrosia maple and the subtle bowl. Very pretty piece!

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Excellent Scott. The wood, form and finish look really nice.

Rick Markham
07-20-2011, 2:10 AM
That's awesome Scott! I really like the pyrography you are doing now, this piece is really perfect. You're just firing out beautiful pieces now! Great article, by the way ;) Keep 'em coming like this, and you will be spending all your turning time writing new articles :D