PDA

View Full Version : Bob's wearing garters! and leather!!

Paul Saffold
07-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Like many others have done, I built a bench-on-a-bench. I was inspired by Steve Branam's on his blog wwwwwwwclosegraindotcom. and Joel's at TFWW. Unlike Steve, I burned lots of electrons in my build.

Poplar with w. oak for the vice, 25" between screws. I added leather to one side of the vice and that really makes a difference.

From Harry Strasil's workbench build, post # 16, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?76185-My-New-Work-Bench-arrived-today-(sort-of (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?76185-My-New-Work-Bench-arrived-today-%28sort-of)) (in the Neander FAQ) , I copied his idea for the brass garter except I put mine on the outside. Not having a metal (or wood) lathe like Harry, I improvised. After having the nut morticed, I spun the screw in repeatedly while holding a file on edge. Didn't take too long to make a groove. A little valve grinding compound smoothed it up nicely.

Thanks for looking.

Jim Koepke
07-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Looks good, did the cat help?

jtk

Paul Saffold
07-18-2011, 8:23 PM
Yes, of course. She's my buddy in the shop.
When I planned the height for the b-o-b, I also lowered the height of the workbench from 36" to 34". The b-o-b is 46". I'm 6'4".
I haven't used the bench much since lowering it, but it seems better for planing.
I also added 5 concrete blocks at 66 lb. each. The bench was a light weight one for planing. Trying to plane with one foot on the bench foot gets a bit awkward.
Now at 405 lbs it doesn't budge.

Tony Shea
07-18-2011, 8:34 PM
I like it a lot. I have been seriously contemplating my own. Im a bit worried about shop space and another jig/tool to stash somewhere when not in use. But they sure seem extremely handy. Very nice job.

Steve Branam
07-21-2011, 7:30 AM
Hey, thanks! My blog stats were showing a bunch of hits from the Creek on my BOB page, I wondered what triggered them.

I like that garter idea, as always Harry is a treasure-trove! I may add that to mine, and maybe for my Moxon double-screw vise as well.