PDA

View Full Version : A Walnut Bowl with a different "flare"

John Keeton
07-17-2011, 7:09 PM
I don't turn many bowls, but I do have several bowl blanks that I need to do something with. This one is black walnut that I cut when I first started turning in late 2009. It was bone dry! 3" x 11.25", with just a coat of BLO. I will probably buff it and call it done - kind of like the natural feel of this one.

I realize the form is quite different, but again, I am trying to "listen to the inner me!" The actual bowl portion is about 5" at the rim, with a deep undercut. I tried to do a pic that would show the complete bead at the rim to mimic the bed on the outer rim. But, the walnut is so dark it doesn't show well.

This one was kind of fun - much quicker than most of the stuff I do. Might need to turn some of those other bowl blanks!!;):D

Tim Thiebaut
07-17-2011, 7:17 PM
I think that is a great looking piece John, I really like the detailing on the foot/base area, and the overhanging lip is very attractive to me, would make a great candy dish I think. Love the accent piece to, is that BLM Burl?

John Keeton
07-17-2011, 7:21 PM
Thanks, Tim - yes, that is a section of a BLM burl I cut up.

charlie knighton
07-17-2011, 7:43 PM
very nice, i like the beads very much, i biggest problem doing a bowl is which side is top and which is bottom, most times i think the bottom on my bowls look the best

how did you choose the top and bottom John?????????? btw, i think you choose correctly

Jim Underwood
07-17-2011, 7:43 PM
Well now...

From the looks of things, you'd better keep listening to yourself.

Hmmmmm....... does this mean you talk to yourself too?

Jim Burr
07-17-2011, 7:44 PM
I'm really drawn to the cove of the top...from the 2 pic it looks almost convex. Very elegent details!

Don Nicholas
07-17-2011, 7:55 PM
Very nice form and design. John, do you first do a concept design on paper or your computer or do you design as you turn,either way, you have some fantastic designs well excited.

David E Keller
07-17-2011, 8:02 PM
It's beautiful, John! I love the way you treated the top of the piece... That first photo is killer.

Pete Jordan
07-17-2011, 8:23 PM
Well done Sir!

Scott Hackler
07-17-2011, 8:31 PM
Hey! Thats a nice bowl with a new look!

Roger Chandler
07-17-2011, 8:35 PM
very different! Very nicely turned! I like the bead details, the style is very unusual...........I would say that would look great with an artificial flower arrangement in it. Great finish as well.

Eric Holmquist
07-17-2011, 8:37 PM
For something you don't do very often, it sure is nice!

Alan Trout
07-17-2011, 8:45 PM
Wow,

I really like the form. it is quite elegant. exquisite execution. I can't say much more.

Alan

David DeCristoforo
07-17-2011, 8:49 PM
Nice lookin' bowl, John. But that's a pretty small hole. Gonna be hard to hit that from more'n a few feet away...

Curt Fuller
07-17-2011, 9:01 PM
That's really a nice looking bowl. Of all the things we turn, to me, bowls are the ones that can span the broadest range from utility to art. This bowl is a good example of that.

Bernie Weishapl
07-17-2011, 9:21 PM
John that is a beauty with a interesting appeal to it. It is different but I like it.

steven carter
07-17-2011, 9:37 PM
Like Bernie said, it is a different form, but it is very appealing. I like the foot on this one.

Billy Tallant
07-17-2011, 9:50 PM
John, I've never turned a bowl so I don't know anything about bowl design. But from an observer's standpoint, that bowl is simply amazing. The design is definately different and well executed. You say you don't turn many bowls, looks like you might should start turning more. Looks great!

John Keeton
07-17-2011, 10:01 PM
I really appreciate everyone taking the time to look at this one! I hope these last three pieces are the beginning of a lot of "different" stuff for me - that is the goal anyway.

I keep my pics in folders that are numbered for each piece, and aside from a few Christmas ornaments early on, and a couple of commissioned pieces, this is my 82nd turning.

Out of curiousity, I did a quick check, and I was surprised to find that 23 of those were bowls!! Most of them when I first started turning - and, I have to admit, some of them were pretty bad. You folks were way too kind in your comments on those first ones!:o

Thanks, again!

Baxter Smith
07-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Very nice John! It looks great by itself but some part of me wants to figure out what it would be good for. Seems as if something beautiful should go in the middle to be framed by the walnut.

Marc Himes
07-18-2011, 3:21 AM
I really like this bowl, John; lots of different and very enjoyable things about it.

Donny Lawson
07-18-2011, 6:53 AM
John, you just make everything look so easy. Excellent job. You should pass some of that talent my way.

Richard Kennedy UK
07-18-2011, 7:29 AM
Great bowl the detail is superb lovely photo too!

Russell Eaton
07-18-2011, 7:44 AM
Another beauty. Hope to see what happens next. Thanks for showing.

Gary Sichmeller
07-18-2011, 7:56 AM
I love the underside of this bowl. The bead on the base and rim combined with the flow of the curve of the underside just trips my trigger! Excellent job!!

Toney Robertson
07-18-2011, 9:37 AM
Love the beads and the way it connects the different areas.

Not crazy about the foot but then again I am not a foot person!!!

A very refined piece and the photos are also well done.

Greg Bender
07-18-2011, 9:49 AM
John,
really great shape, beads definitely give the eyes some exercise following all the angles.That is also a beautiful piece of BW.
Thanx for posting it.
Greg

John W Dixon
07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Wow, John. I think you tapped into my "inner me" I really like this one, a lot. Some very nice details to this bowl.

Karl Card
07-18-2011, 11:32 AM
John I have never seen you turn a bad piece, just some are great and the others are better... That is neat but I have to say that in the last pic it kind of resembles a sombrero...

wes murphy
07-18-2011, 12:29 PM
great bowl, as usual.

Ben Brown27
07-21-2011, 2:43 PM
I like the design alot. I get tired of the same old bowls, so I might have to give this layout a try.

John Keeton
07-21-2011, 3:43 PM
Thanks, Ben! I failed to thank others that posted, and I hope all of you know I do appreciate your comments.

Prashun Patel
07-21-2011, 4:18 PM
Love it. Love the wide rim with beads at either end. You have an eye for the outer curve of forms that I aspire to.

John Keeton
07-21-2011, 5:00 PM
Thanks, Prashun. My method for an ogee is pretty simple - use a straight edge and it should touch the rim, the foot, and the belly at 1/4 the distance between the rim and foot. Just connect the dots at that point with fair curves and it usually works pretty well.

Jeff Nicol
07-21-2011, 7:43 PM
John, I guess I will have to be the spoiler on this one, in my eyes and untapped mind full of useless knowledge, I would call it a "Closed Form" as the opening is undercut like a HF but with the main shape of a bowl. Never the less it has all the things that a great piece should have, great wood, super form, wonderful embelishments and the simple but warm and elegant finish makes it another "Keeton Winner"!

Keep using that inner eye for your guide, so far it has not let you down, I guess we will have to call you the "Mystic One" from now on!

Great Job,

Jeff

Dennis Simmons
07-21-2011, 8:03 PM
I like this, it would be good as a dip bowl, the rim would catch the drips from the item dipped into the sauce. You can even put the dip chips on the ridge. This is cool.

BILL DONAHUE
07-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Beautiful bowl and very unique. I have the book ""500 Wood Bowls" and I don't remember seeing anything in it quite like this. It's not easy to come up with something "new" in a bowl. Have only turned black walnut once and the result was such that I vowed not to try it again. Terrific job!