PDA

View Full Version : The end of an era

Michelle Rich
07-17-2011, 4:08 PM
This Birdcage Windsor,( with bamboo turnings) will probably be my last chair. (a customer request to finish a set)
In less than 2 months i will be closing my gallery and retiring from woodworking. it has been fun & also frustrating. My main focus was chairs, but I also turned vases, bowls and other items to bring color & shapes to the gallery. I also carried others work, and enjoyed that very much. I haven't had to turn much this summer, as I'm trying to sell off everything & not have much leftover. So for the first time in ages, I have been able to turn what I want!
The negative space designs were something I had brewing for years, and finally i got to do something that i didn't have to rush & sell. Rather nice place to be. :)
this windsor is maple & milkpaint that has been a bit distressed so it will match the others.

Nate Davey
07-17-2011, 4:18 PM
Beautiful chair and best of luck for what is next. I'm envious.

Robert McGowen
07-17-2011, 4:38 PM
Congrats on the retirement! (and a fine chair also...)

John Keeton
07-17-2011, 4:50 PM
Michelle, that is a beautiful chair - such a simple design, but when one looks closer, it is very intricate in the spindle turnings and overall design. And, your post - a mix of melancholy and cheer. I am sure you will miss many of your customers (some, maybe not so much!!), and perhaps miss the relationships with other artists. On the other hand, having owned a business, and closed it - there is a prevailing sense of relief!

I look forward to seeing the "spirit that has been freed!" I suspect we will witness a lot of really neat stuff.

Scott Hackler
07-17-2011, 5:17 PM
Congrats on this next chapter in life. Being able to dedicate yourself to something that give YOU joy, is rewarding beyond belief. Shame about the chair work though. You make some beautiful chairs.

Jim Burr
07-17-2011, 5:20 PM
I'd hope that you would do something "fun" for yourself to lessen the inevitable feeling of loss and to prepare for the best of futures!!! Well done for all you have provided the art community!

John Beaver
07-17-2011, 5:46 PM
Michelle,
Congratulations. It's always important to make time for yourself - and I'm sure you deserve lots of it. I look forward to seeing what you do with your free time.

robert raess
07-17-2011, 6:06 PM
I hope you stay active on SM,i have always enjoyed your input..it seemed to come from one who wanted to cheer us on!

Bernie Weishapl
07-17-2011, 6:30 PM
Congrats Michelle. There comes a time when one has to start thinking of themselves. I have contemplated for that last couple of years to shut down my clock repair and antique clock restoration shop to give me more turning time but every time I do a little old lady comes thru the door with a clock and as my wife says my biggest fault is not being able to say no. It is time to make some time for yourself. Have some fun and hope you will continue to post here.

Michael James
07-17-2011, 6:30 PM
Best of luck Michelle, in whatever direction you choose. I hope you will continue (selfish me) to create turnings and post them for us.
Michael

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-17-2011, 6:45 PM
Michelle,
I hope this means a stress free life for you and lots of wonderful turnings for us to enjoy. Good luck and enjoy every day for the rest of your long life.
faust

Ken Fitzgerald
07-17-2011, 6:46 PM
Michelle......I wish you well with your retirement.

Tim Thiebaut
07-17-2011, 6:53 PM
Congrats Michelle, I hope that you have all the time you want for doing what you want...!

Curt Fuller
07-17-2011, 7:00 PM
As much as I've enjoyed your negative space series, I hate to see the end of your chair making. Your chairs have always been so beautiful. I wish you well in your new endeavors though and look forward to watching the negative space ideas evolve.

Pete Jordan
07-17-2011, 7:01 PM
Good luck Michelle!

You do fantastic work!

David E Keller
07-17-2011, 7:02 PM
It's a lovely chair! I sincerely hope you find joy and entertainment in the new chapter of your life... And, I hope you'll share the finished products with us!

charlie knighton
07-17-2011, 7:57 PM
1st i have known you did other stuff besides the negative space, nice chairs, enjoy the future, enjoy your past

Harvey Ghesser
07-17-2011, 8:23 PM
Michelle,

Enjoy what comes next!

Harv

Jon Lanier
07-17-2011, 9:21 PM
Never complain that it is over, be happy that it happened.
Congrats on new endeavors.

Toney Robertson
07-17-2011, 9:27 PM
Happy retirement.

Going forward, what are your plans?

Lori Kleinberg
07-17-2011, 9:48 PM
Best of luck to you, Michelle.

Sean Hughto
07-17-2011, 9:59 PM
Beautiful chair! What milk paint did you use? "Real" or "Old Fashioned" I'm guessing? And which color, or is it a blend. It's a very nice shade.

Good luck in your new adventures!

Baxter Smith
07-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Great chair Michele. I love all of your furniture I have seen posted. Enjoy doing/making whatever you please!

Karl Card
07-18-2011, 2:13 AM
First of all a job well done on something I would not be able to do. Secondly it seems like a business is kind of like a boat, the two best days of your life are the day you bought it and the day you sold it..

At least you got to live to see it go off into the past and you are able to do what YOU want to do in the future.

Good luck and I am sure most of us would like to see some stuff that YOU want to do.

Marc Himes
07-18-2011, 3:14 AM
Congratulations on your retirement! I think the chair is beautiful and would love to see it close up. Enjoy the next chapter in your life.

Johnny Taylor
07-18-2011, 5:22 AM
Lovely chair Michelle. I hope your retirement brings you much joy and look forward to seeing more of your 'what you want to turn' pieces.

Donny Lawson
07-18-2011, 6:38 AM
Good luck with all your upcomming adventures. Congradulations.

Tim Rinehart
07-18-2011, 8:47 AM
Best of success for you going forward, as we all look forward to opportunities that renew us. Your artistry shines in your furniture and turnings, I'm sure you won't go completely idle. Best of all to you in your future endeavors.

Michelle Rich
07-18-2011, 1:00 PM
thanks all..my goal now is to 1. remain upright 2. avoid the nursing home 3. be on the lake longer & catch more fish!