PDA

View Full Version : Apple vase and candle holders

Marc Himes
07-17-2011, 2:51 PM
My niece is getting married next week and asked if I would make a vase and candle holders for the alter. She saw a picture of the Osolnik type candle holders and requested something similar. The apple wood came from the small town near here where my mother was born and raised. There were many cracks and a lot of time went in to working on repair and filling after they were turned even though the wood was somewhat dry having been cut 3 years ago. The vase is 14" high and is the second attempt as the first blew up on me while it was being buffed on the lathe They are all finished with antique oil and buffed.
C&C are welcome.

Robert McGowen
07-17-2011, 2:52 PM
Very nice, Marc. It looks like you matched the set up very well.

David E Keller
07-17-2011, 3:02 PM
Beautiful work, Marc! I really like the vase, and I've been a sucker for that style candle stick since I first saw them. I'll bet she loves them!

John Keeton
07-17-2011, 3:09 PM
Great combination of turnings!! The vase is beautiful wood, and a very pleasing design.

David Reed
07-17-2011, 3:28 PM
I especially enjoy the candle holders. The simple design is lovely and the symmetry of the set makes for a very nice setting

Michelle Rich
07-17-2011, 4:15 PM
Rude's candlesticks are hard to copy..getting those angles is a bear & the height where it changes for different heights...you did very well.

Marc Himes
07-17-2011, 5:41 PM
Thanks for the all kind words. While Rude's candle holders were certainly the inspiration for these,I did not want to make them exactly the same as his. I actually wanted them to be a little more variable in their size than they turned out, but I think she will like them. She even made a bowl on my lathe earlier this year and really enjoyed turning. If I didn't make these for her I might have given her a mini lathe for a wedding present. Thanks again for your comments.

Bernie Weishapl
07-17-2011, 7:04 PM
Really nice vase and candle holders. Really well done.

charlie knighton
07-17-2011, 7:50 PM
very nice, Marc

they could very well become family heirlooms

Jim Burr
07-17-2011, 9:03 PM
So cool Marc!! The vase such a rustic old look to it...very impressive!

Baxter Smith
07-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Very nice work on all! Love the apple wood and the form of the vase is very appealing to me!

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2011, 4:52 PM
Very nice work Marc! I've seen variations of Rude's candle holders and these are really nice! I do think that the vase steals the show! To me - it has a middle ages look going on - like something you woudl expect to see on King Arthur's table! I am sure your niece will love the set!

Any chance Colleen and I will be able to see them Wednesday?

Marc Himes
07-18-2011, 5:18 PM
Thanks Baxter and Steve. The set will be here and we are looking forward to your visit.

philip labre
07-18-2011, 6:07 PM
Great vase,Marc!!! Also, a wonderful set of candle holders. I'm a big fan of Rude's candlesticks.

Marc Himes
07-18-2011, 6:11 PM
Thanks Phil. See you at the next club meeting.