PDA

View Full Version : How do I apply a topcoat inside of this wine rack and do I really need one?

Bill Rogers
07-17-2011, 2:12 PM
I have completed the construction of a countertop wine rack that is modeled after the one shown in this link: http://www.woodsmith.com/magazine/extras/195/low-profile-wine-rack/

The rack itself measure approximately 12" x 12" x 9" deep. The areas for the wine glasses are approximately 7-1/2" x 3-1/2" and the bottle openings are 3-1/2" square.

I used cherry for this project and I applied two coats of BLO. I had no trouble applying the BLO but due to my large hands I had a heck of a time wiping it out of the bottle openings.

So this is now my dilemma: what do I use for a top coat and do I really need to use one? The best idea that I can come up with is to use a wipe on poly. However, as I said, I had a hard time wiping off the BLO and that has to be far easier than wiping off most top coat materials.

Any ideas?

Conrad Fiore
07-17-2011, 2:28 PM
Get someone with small hands. :)
I think a wiping varnish or poly is your best bet. Wipe from the inside out, anything you miss way down inside will never be seen. You could also make a stick with a pad on it to wipe where you can't reach with your hands.

Scott Holmes
07-17-2011, 2:35 PM
Wipe on varnsih or wipe-on oil/varnish blend is the way to go.

Bill Rogers
07-17-2011, 2:50 PM
Conrad and Scott,

Your answers are pretty much what I had in mind: get someone with smaller hands than mine to apply a wipe-on oil/varnish!!

Bill