PDA

View Full Version : My cheapo B&D ROS pad flew off. Need a new ROS

Jim O'Dell
07-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I don't need a real expensive one, but something more than what I had. It was a Christmas gift from LOML. Found the cheapest one she could find at a B&D outlet store at the outlet mall. :rolleyes: It worked and did ok, but recovery time was 15 minutes for every 5 minutes of use. I've searched through the archive here and gotten some information. Specifically I'm looking at the Milwaukee 3021-21, the Bosch ROS20VSK, the DeWalt D26451K, and at the higher end, a refurbished Ridgid 2610. The Ridgid is a 6" unit made by Metabo, and has the switchable 1/8" and 1/4" pattern for sanding. I have a Ridgid 4" angle grinder that is the Metabo build and it is a hoss. Anyone have any personal info on any of these units? Pros and cons would be very helpful! Thanks. Jim.

Mike Hollingsworth
07-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Jim
Save for a Rotex. You'll love it. Fast removal. Great dust control.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/img/rotex-feq-dual-571536.jpg

Jim O'Dell
07-17-2011, 1:41 PM
If I had one that worked at all, I might follow that suggestion. But the pad on mine flew off, so is totally useless, and I'm going to need one as I start working on the computer desk this fall. Guess I could see if I could glue it back on and see if it would limp along. Maybe break open the PC 1/4 sheet sander to supplement.
I'm taking the Ridgid 2610 off of consideration. I picked up the clone 2611 while getting some contact cement to work on the ZCIs, and that is way too much weight for a ROS. Jim.

johnny means
07-17-2011, 3:08 PM
If the sander still works you can just replace the pad. I pretty much consider the pad a consumable in my shop. You may not find a B&D branded pad, but all you need to do is find one with the correct screw hole pattern. All the borgs will have some replacement pads on the rack.

It's not as much fun as a brand spanking new toy, but I will get you going again. Plus, for twelve bucks it's probably not a bad investment even if you do buy a new sander. Sometimes an extra comes in handy.

Jim O'Dell
07-17-2011, 4:01 PM
Johnny, I found it at several places online for this unit, but 14-18 bucks plus shipping. A new unit exactly like it is 22.00!! If I'm going to spend that much to repair, I'm going to add some to it and get a new one that is better quality. Something that I would have purchased for myself to begin with. (if any tells my wife I said that, I'll deny it!!!!!:D:D) Jim.

Karl Brogger
07-17-2011, 8:37 PM
I bought a Makita a few months ago. $80. It's holding up fairly well. Had to swap out the hook and loop pad for a psa pad, and cut off the dust chute, it rattles but hasn't failed yet.

The DeFalt ones typically only made it about 6 months. I had a Porter Cable one that was awesome, lasted for years but I don't think it is made any more.

I'd consider Festool I could find a psa pad.

Don Jarvie
07-17-2011, 9:26 PM
Jim, I got a Cman professional ROS for around 57 bucks. It has a dust collection port that attached to my shop vac which works well. It works preety good. Its no Bosch or Festool but serves its purpose.

Don

Mike OMelia
07-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Consider the PC 390K low profile, digital motor sander. Perhaps $100? The pad on it will wear out eventually, as well as the "clutch" disk. $20 to replace both? From ereplacementparts.com. I love this ROS! Easy to handle, durable, variable speed. Uses Mirka disks. Just no complaints whatsoever. Planning on picking up another since I use it so much.

Mike

johnny means
07-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Oh, didn't realize just how cheap sanders could be.

Jim O'Dell
07-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Oh, didn't realize just how cheap sanders could be.

Hey....it's a Black and Decker!!! :p Thanks for the info all. Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee? It has the best warranty of the bunch. Jim.

Jerry Bruette
07-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I've got the Milwaukee, it's the only ROS I've ever owned but I like it. Good warranty and you get both the H&L and PSA pads along with a nice carry case.

Oh ya it sands pretty nice too. If I remember correctly Wood magazine rated it pretty high and that's why I bought it.

Jerry

Rich Engelhardt
07-18-2011, 6:31 AM
DeWalt D26451K,
That's what I've been using for the last three/four years.
Only complaint I have is the cost of a replacement pad.
IIRC, it's nearly half the cost of the sander.
Other than that, mine's done the job and then some.

Jim O'Dell
07-18-2011, 1:07 PM
I looked at the pad prices on the Mil and they were under 5.00. I don't think the new ones are shipped with both pads, just the hook and loop. Jim.

Jerome Hanby
07-18-2011, 1:18 PM
We had a B&D mouse and had the same kind of failure. The link between the pad and the base was just plastic!. I spoke on the phone to the tool guy at my local Lowe's trying to order a replacement part and explained to him what happened. Seems he had just bought a Dewalt ROS for a similar project and loved it. He said bring the B&D in and they would find the closest model they still sold and give me that much credit if I wanted to buy a Dewalt to replace it. Ended up getting it for about $30 and a broken piece of crap B&D mouse! I'm sure it doesn't have top notch dust collection like a Festool, but it's done everything I've needed. Since aquiring a couple of Festool items, one of their vacuums and the sander Mike mentions have moved to the top of my must get list, but the Dewalt is doing the job for now.

David Hostetler
07-18-2011, 1:22 PM
I know I am gonna catch flack for saying this, but I have to recommend AGAINST Makita. The second worst power tool I have ever owned is a Makita 1/4 sheet sander. Just awful. The thing would shake the operator more than the sandpaper...

Of course the #1 worst power tool ever, B&D Firestorm plunge router. What a junker!

I have seen those Ridgid sanders in store, they look pretty solid...

Have you considered perhaps a Hitachi SV13YB (http://bigskytool.com/Hitachi_SV13YB_5_Random_Orbit_Finishing_Sander_Sin gle_Speed_(Reconditioned)___i239.aspx)?

I haven't used their sanders personally, but if they are half as decent as their routers, this should be smooth as melted butter...

Jerome Hanby
07-18-2011, 2:13 PM
I like my Hitachi belt sander...I'm a little afraid of it, but I think it works well.

I know I am gonna catch flack for saying this, but I have to recommend AGAINST Makita. The second worst power tool I have ever owned is a Makita 1/4 sheet sander. Just awful. The thing would shake the operator more than the sandpaper...

Of course the #1 worst power tool ever, B&D Firestorm plunge router. What a junker!

I have seen those Ridgid sanders in store, they look pretty solid...

Have you considered perhaps a Hitachi SV13YB (http://bigskytool.com/Hitachi_SV13YB_5_Random_Orbit_Finishing_Sander_Sin gle_Speed_(Reconditioned)___i239.aspx)?

I haven't used their sanders personally, but if they are half as decent as their routers, this should be smooth as melted butter...

Andrew Joiner
07-18-2011, 2:39 PM
I have the Milwaukee 6021-21. Works as good as the PC 333 it replaced. I have about 50 hours on it and it's holding up fine. The PC 333 lasted about 200 hours.

Jim O'Dell
07-18-2011, 8:33 PM
I hadn't thought about the Hitachi. Looking at it now, I don't think the dust collection hook up would be easy to adapt to a round hose. It's a 2 amp motor as opposed the most having a 3 amp motor. Just as well. I ordered the Milwaukee about 1/2 hour ago. I'm sure I could have stopped the order, and reordered with another unit, but I think the 6021-21 will do just fine. Jim.

Anthony Scott
07-19-2011, 9:55 AM
I have the Milwaukee and really like it. Dust collection is pretty good.

johnny means
07-19-2011, 5:51 PM
I have a Milwaukee and its a nice sander. Dust collection is just as good as my Festool. It does however sit idle because the Festool is easier on the hands. It didn't come with two pads, but a stick on adapter to switch pad types. I would recommend it.

Ted Baca
07-19-2011, 11:16 PM
My suggestion is try each one in your hand for best fit. Find a good deal on it and get it. I had a Bosch which was a real workhorse. But after using a Porter Cable Low Profile I realized how uncomfortable the Bosch was. I now have the PC and love it. But in the under 100.00 ROS selection, I think you will get a great tool if you look at PC, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt, Skil, etc. They all are pretty competitive and make a good tool. Look at your best hand comfort.

Jason Hanko
07-19-2011, 11:37 PM
I picked up the $15 Chicago Tools ROS from Harbor Freight b/c it was the closest and only thing open. I figured Id just use it for a month or two until it broke, and then buy a "real" one.
Well, that was three years ago. Darn thing just WONT DIE!

That said, Im tired of numb hands and dusty lungs - so Im in the market for a new one as well.
Be sure to update us after you've had a chance to break in the Milwaukee and let us know how you like it!

Don Bullock
07-20-2011, 4:09 PM
Jim
Save for a Rotex. You'll love it. Fast removal. Great dust control.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/img/rotex-feq-dual-571536.jpg

First of all I'll second Mike's recommendation.

I had a Bosch ROS that worked great when it worked. After very light use it quit working right in the middle of a project. I took it to the local Bosch "service center" and it was repaired. The guy had the part (variable speed control switch) in stock. He stated that they go out often. After not having the sander for a couple of weeks I finished up the project and started a new one. This time I made sure to have the sander connected to a vacuum just in case the sanding dust was the cause of the switch failure. The sander went out again after very light use. That's when I contacted Bosch and demanded a refund. I used the refund on a Festool Rotex and haven't regretted the expenditure. Since then I'b bought an additional Festool sander and dust extractor. Wow, what a difference it makes over the Bosh set up that I had. I'm one of the very few who actually enjoys sanding and the Festool tools makes it even quicker and better.

Jim O'Dell
07-26-2011, 8:40 PM
I got my Milwaukee 6021-21 in today. Just hooked it up to make sure it runs. WOW!!!! That is nice! A lot quieter, and it doesn't jitterbug in my hand like the B&D does. The hook and loop pad is stiffer also. Not sure that makes a difference or not, but it might last longer. Here's a pic to prove I got it!203163 Thanks again for the information! Jim.

Rick Potter
07-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Way to go Jim.

You beat me to it. I was gonna tell you how I have a Milwaukee, and a Bosch, and the M is hands down better to me. Less vibration, better dust collection, easier to clean the dust trap. I guess I won't tell you about it now.

Rick Potter

Stuart Deutsch
07-27-2011, 2:45 PM
Even though you already replaced the sander, dig the broken one out of the trash and contact B&D. They've recalled a ROS (info (http://toolguyd.com/2010/09/select-black-decker-random-orbital-sanders-recalled/)) in the past due to the same issue.

Glad you like the Milwaukee. How's its dust collection?

Don Bullock
07-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Congratulations Jim. I hope it works out for you.

Jim O'Dell
07-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Way to go Jim.

You beat me to it. I was gonna tell you how I have a Milwaukee, and a Bosch, and the M is hands down better to me. Less vibration, better dust collection, easier to clean the dust trap. I guess I won't tell you about it now.

Rick Potter

Nah, go ahead and say it. I love a good decision being reinforced!!:D

Stuart, I went and looked, mine's not in the recall. But thanks for the heads up. I'll have to get back to you on the dust collection. I haven't even put a sanding disk on it yet. Just plugged it in and turned it on for a few seconds to make sure it worked. Jim.