PDA

View Full Version : Project: Latest Tack Trunk Commission (7-2011)

Jim Becker
07-17-2011, 10:05 AM
The husband of a border at our barn approached me a few weeks about about making a new tack trunk for his lovely as the one he made her years ago is on its last legs. Saturday was delivery day...her birthday present.

This one is Sapele for the trim and Quarter-sawn White Oak for the field. Just to keep it a little different from others I've made that live at the barn, this one had a bit of a heavy amber dye for coloration. Finish is dye; de-waxed shellac and Target EM6000. Solid brass hardware from Lee Valley. The gentleman didn't opt for the optional drawer unit for this one.

And here's the birthday girl herself getting her first look inside...

Ted Calver
07-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Very nice Jim. I'll bet she was a surprised and happy birthday girl. You must have that barn pretty full of tack trunks by now. Soon you will be running out of wood combo's to keep things different. Nice job!

John Shuk
07-17-2011, 4:35 PM
Nice work Jim. What a great way to keep both hobbies going as well.

Bruce Page
07-17-2011, 5:46 PM
Very nice Jim. What is the function of the slotted piece in the top?

gary Zimmel
07-17-2011, 7:11 PM
The tack trunk master strikes again. You must be able to do these things in your sleep now Jim...
Great wood combo and real nice work as always.

Jim Becker
07-17-2011, 9:03 PM
What is the function of the slotted piece in the top?

Storage for leg wraps and other things like that.

You must be able to do these things in your sleep now Jim...

LOL...not quite, Gary, but I wil tell you this...the process goes smoother and faster on anything that you do multiple iterations and in some respects, each one gets better in some way due to "lessons learned". I have my system down for building the box and the lid and that doesn't waiver now. "Little details" change, both due to need/specification and because sometimes that light-bulb above one's head goes off with a better way to do something. The major improvement on this one is the removable tray construction...simpler and making good use of 1/2" ply scraps. I was also challenged by being "very tight" on the Sapele material. I had about 8.5 bd/ft and could have been a lot more comfortable with 10 bd/ft. I had to piece together some of the trim on the back side of the case, but fortunately the "joints" are virtually invisible due to lucky grain matching. The good thing is that I now know for sure that for a trunk like this without the optional drawer unit, I need to buy a minimum of 10 bd/ft to be sure to have some room for, um...well...you know...um...errors in woodworking judgement. ;)

C Scott McDonald
07-17-2011, 11:43 PM
The last picture really puts in perpective the size of the trunk!

Mike Mastin
07-18-2011, 4:04 AM
Very nice Jim. The girls have grown quite a bit since I last saw photos of them. Time fly's doesn't it......

Jim Becker
07-18-2011, 9:34 PM

36"w x 24"d x 30" h, nominal. In that last picture, it's still sitting up on milk crates from spraying the finish and installing the hardware.

Very nice Jim. The girls have grown quite a bit since I last saw photos of them. Time fly's doesn't it......

Thanks, Mike...they have indeed grown. Check your FB.... ;)

Jim Becker
07-18-2011, 9:34 PM

36"w x 24"d x 30" h, nominal. In that last picture, it's still sitting up on milk crates from spraying the finish and installing the hardware.

Thanks, Mike...they have indeed grown. Check your FB.... ;)