PDA

View Full Version : more braclets

Paul Williams
07-16-2011, 10:51 PM
So I got a little carried away after reading Dennis Simmons' tutorial.

I made mine from 3/4" thick scraps held in a bottle stopper mandrel. I did find it helpful to drill and tap the center hole. That helped it remain centered and square when I flipped it to do the second side. I finished the outside while on the lathe. Then cut it off with a parting tool and smoothed the inside with a sanding drum. The two black ones in front are oak ebonized with steel wool in vinegar.

Eric Gourieux
07-16-2011, 11:21 PM
The bracelets look great, Paul. What is the final diameter?

Dennis Simmons
07-17-2011, 7:55 AM
So I got a little carried away after reading Dennis Simmons' tutorial.

I made mine from 3/4" thick scraps held in a bottle stopper mandrel. I did find it helpful to drill and tap the center hole. That helped it remain centered and square when I flipped it to do the second side. I finished the outside while on the lathe. Then cut if off with a parting tool and smoothed the inside with a sanding drum. The two black ones in front are oak ebonized with steel wool in vinegar.

These look good, like your set up with the bottle stopper Mandrel, I made my first pendants, and at market yesterday I showed them to a couple of my customers, I asked them if they wanted the upgrade to a matched set, they sold in no time. make some pendents matching wood with each bracelet.

Paul Williams
07-17-2011, 8:20 AM
I started with a 2 1/2" inside diameter and sanded away a little more while finishing the inside. I think most ended up 2 5/8" ID. I think I have small hands but can not get them on. However, all of the women in our family seem to have no problem getting them over their hands. I did make some small ones which were a great hit with a friends grand-daughters. They are fun to make especially when you don't have time to turn a bowl or other larger project.

Dennis Simmons
07-17-2011, 8:41 AM
I started with a 2 1/2" inside diameter and sanded away a little more while finishing the inside. I think most ended up 2 5/8" ID. I think I have small hands but can not get them on. However, all of the women in our family seem to have no problem getting them over their hands. I did make some small ones which were a great hit with a friends grand-daughters. They are fun to make especially when you don't have time to turn a bowl or other larger project.
These sizes are what I use.

2 3/8 very small
2 1/2 small
2 5/8 med.
2 3/4 large