PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought a Toshiba Thrive yet?

Matt Meiser
07-16-2011, 2:26 PM
I've been reading about them all week and got a few minutes to play with one at Office Max this morning. I think I want one! I really like the expandability provided by the SD Card slot, the real USB ports, and the replaceable battery.

Art Mulder
07-16-2011, 6:53 PM
Personally I want to get an iPad and a RIM Playbook loaned to me for a month so I can give them both a workout. 10 minutes in the store really doesn't give me enough info.

(And no, it ain't likely to happen...)

Paul McGaha
07-16-2011, 7:46 PM
The kids and I bought my wife an iPad 2 for mothers day.

She loves the thing. She just uses it for home related tasks only though as for as I know.

PHM

Matt Meiser
07-17-2011, 8:33 PM
My primary uses would be surfing while watching TV instead of using a netbook, work travel instead of carrying an iPod and Kindle, and pleasure travel instead of carrying all of the above. I don't need/want 3G or 4G since my phone can be a hotspot and serve as an (for now) unlimited 3G (or 4G in the rare case that its actually available) for the same price per month as the smallest data plans for a tablet with no new contract. I looked a little at the Motorola Xoom and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 too. The Motorola is supposed to take MicroSD cards after a future software update and comes with 32GB for about the same price after a $100 price cut this week.

I lean toward an Android device over the iPad because of the whole file system issue. Can iPad users post photos here? I know iPhones can't and assume the same would be true?

Edit: Android 3.2 for the Xoom enables the SD card slot and is due very shortly. Its actually a Google thing, not Motorola, so probably pretty likely to happen.

Paul McGaha
07-18-2011, 9:25 AM
Matt,

I'll try to post a picture with the ipad when I get home. I dont know if it can or not??

From looking at the Thrive online it does look like it would be pretty nice.

I tend to like Toshiba products, I have a lower end laptop from them at home (Surfing, emails, pictures). My daughter has a really nice Toshiba laptop (Harmon/Kardon Sound on it). I dont know if it's still true but back in the 90's or so Toshiba Variable Frequency Drives for HVAC equipment were super highly regarded.

PHM

Matt Meiser
07-18-2011, 9:58 AM
Can an iPad access files from a Windows file share? I have an app on my Android phone that can.

Art, the RIM Playbook looks cool but if there's not enough adoption they'll die a quick death due to lack of support. Same goes for the new HP tablets which run WebOS.

Matt Meiser
07-19-2011, 7:51 PM
Well, I just couldn't get over the whole market share thing and wound up with an iPad 2. In fact I'm posting this with it.

Paul McGaha
07-19-2011, 8:01 PM
Hope you like it Matt.

Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner about posting pictures on the creek with it. My wife and I dont know how and I was going to ask my boss but forgot about it today.

PHM

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-19-2011, 8:48 PM
I am writing this from iPad, you can add picture here but only from website with specific web address for a picture
Ed.

Matt Meiser
07-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Ed the workaround I'm planning to use for that is to put the pics in my photo bucket account using the photo bucket app, then load the photos here from photo bucket. Reality is I probably wouldn't be using this much when posting photos anyway.