PDA

View Full Version : Donation piece to raffle off for College trust fund

Jeff Nicol
07-16-2011, 12:03 PM
It has been a crazy week since we got home from Idaho and I am worn out from trying to do everything at the same time. Between recovering from the trip, replacing my AC unit in the shop and doing all the things that the shop has tools for, it has been a variety filled week! But I had to get this vase finished to donate to the benefit raffle for my honoray son's cousin's 3 yr old daughter. When he was killed in the crazy boating accident we all were in shock for a while, but everyone has gotten together and donated or got 100's of items to raffle off for little Autumn's college trust fund. Josh who is my hon. Son plays football for a semi-pro team here in town and they are playing the across town rivals today to see if they can tie them for the division and then go into the playoffs so there will be a huge crowd and that is when we are selling tickets for all the smaller prizes and grab bags full of different items that have been donated. The big raffle for the large items will be in 2 weeks to get as many tickets sold. So anyway here is the piece I donated, it is Spalted White Birch 9"x6" at the largest dia. with a 3.75 opening in the top with 1/8" side walls. I was in a hurry to get a picture and just took a brown towel out and hung it on the fence and took a few pictures and this on I liked the best.

Thanks for looking,

Jeff

Don Alexander
07-16-2011, 12:17 PM
i like it alot ... both the wood and the form .... very well done

hope it brings a good amount for the cause

mike ash
07-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Great job Jeff, and it's going towards a fine objective.

Mike Ash

Jim Burr
07-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Beautiful piece Jeff and a great gesture on your part!

Jeff Fagen
07-16-2011, 1:21 PM
That is a very refined form,it makes white birch look great.What is it finished with?

Michael James
07-16-2011, 1:21 PM
Beautiful wood, job on the wood and gesture! Best of luck at the raffle.
Miguel

David E Keller
07-16-2011, 1:27 PM
That's a pretty piece, Jeff! I love the bead detail near the top. Kudos for donating it!

Paul Williams
07-16-2011, 1:28 PM
Great job with a great piece of wood. I really like it.

Ed Morgano
07-16-2011, 1:43 PM
Jeff, that is a beautiful piece. I love the spalted white birch and the form.

Scott Hackler
07-16-2011, 2:28 PM
Jeff that is a nice form and a VERY nice gesture.

Harvey Ghesser
07-16-2011, 2:31 PM
Hope it raises big bank, Jeff!

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2011, 2:36 PM
That's a great looking piece of work, Jeff! Not bad material either....

Jeff Nicol
07-16-2011, 3:11 PM
We just finished up making some containers for cash donations and sealing them up good until the end, one never knows what lurks in the minds of evil people who would steal from a 3 yr old!

The finish on it is a couple thin coats of shellac, one coat of danish oil then 3 coats of lacquer knocked down with some 0000 steel wool and lightly buffed to give it a semi gloss glow and a soft feel in the hands. I had them pick the one they wanted me to finish and that is the one that was closest to being done and a good choice, I have another one that is close too, but out of spalted Red Maple that is taller and not so chubby! It is turning out well and will post it soon.

I came in to take a break as my back and shoulders have had enough for the day.

Thanks for checking it out and there should be about 300-400 people at the game so it should turn out well,

Jeff

charlie knighton
07-16-2011, 9:34 PM
very nice, sorry for you loss

Baxter Smith
07-16-2011, 9:40 PM
Looks great Jeff. I enjoy turning spalted birch. Turns easily and you can get some nice patterns no matter which way you orient the wood.

David Reed
07-17-2011, 1:01 AM
wow great wood, great form and great cause. I especially like the detail below the rim and at the foot. Very nice

Robert McGowen
07-17-2011, 2:04 AM
I hope that the fund raising works out for everyone, Jeff. It looks like you are putting in a lot of work on this and I am sure that everyone involved appreciates it.

Jeff Nicol
07-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Well the weather sort of played along with the whole script last night. We had, had about 2" of rain in the morning and then the sun came out for a little bit around noon and the temp. went up to about 90 with 95% humidity. But the clouds came back and kept it from getting really nasty to sit in the bleachers and watch the football game and get to talk to all the people who came to support little Autumn! Lots of tears and hugging, shaking hands with new aquaintences and sweating constantly with hundreds of people and no breeze to speak of. We had a silent auction for a bunch of the donated items that brought in about $1100 and cash donations that filled an ice cream pail. There were a lot of little things that were being sold in memory of Lucas like the little rubber wrist bands, little window stickers that incorporated some of his favorite things which also is the design on the face of his headstone. His sister, Mother and a bunch of friends got it tattooed in many different places, it is amazing how many people he touched in his 29 years of life, he will be truly missed.

So all of the large donations are going to be presented in about 4 weeks to try and sell as many raffle tickets as possible. I already have had quite a few people come find me and talk to me about the turning and plan on coming to the shop so they can see what they may want from me! More work but worth the effort for sure.

My boy Josh played his heart out in the game and caught 8 passes for 154 yds and ran back a kickoff for 54yds, they were ahead until the 4th quarter until a punt was blocked and recovered in the end zone to put them behind by 9pts. Then the next series Josh caught a tipped pass off one of his team mates and ran it 40 yds to the one yd line, it was crazy! They scored the next play and were at 17-19 and had a chance to win the game, but an errant pass was intercepted in the endzone and that is how the game ended. Josh was chosen along with one of our other honary sons to the NEFL all-stars so that was pretty cool. They play again next Saturday in the first playoff game, so maybe they can get some redemption!

I am rambling again, but it was a fun night, but with some sadness underneath,

Have a great Sunday and thanks for your support,

Jeff