PDA

View Full Version : The Black Lance

John Keeton
07-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Again, David D. carries much of the blame for this piece! I loved his Tuxedo piece, so I invested in some bleach (ain't cheap!!), and decided on a form. Originally, the title of this piece and the sketch/plan called for an airbrushed theater mask, as well as a black/white acrylic finial. I turned the finial as I was bleaching the piece, along with the other Blackwood parts, but the wood did not get as white as hoped - even after four applications. I am pleased with the look, but it just did not fit the original plan. Re-design!!

I dropped the airbrush idea, and the acrylic finial was too white and did not match. A Blackwood finial was more in order, and I changed the shape just a bit from the acrylic - thus the title. To me, the finial looks like a jousting lance! Not sure it does to anyone else?!?!?

BLM burl, this one is 3.25" wide x 7.75" tall, finished with several coats of satin lacquer (thinned with a little acetone) wiped on with a paper shop towel, sanded back with 600 grit, and a finish coat of UV resistant acrylic (matte) that is rubbed back with some 0000. The result is the look and feel of polished bone - very soft feel to the finish. I did not measure the wall thickness, but it is less than 1/8".

Feel free to critique!

The rim of both the form and the replication were tipped with black acrylic paint prior to the last coat of lacquer and acrylic spray.

Steve Schlumpf
07-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Now that is cool!! The finial/lid concept really works for me! Cool idea and it adds another dimension to the work! The beach worked well, maybe not stark white but it sure does look like bone! Also like the touch of black on all the edges! Provides a boundary and highlights the natural edges!

Nice John - very nice! I can see this sitting in a gallery!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Very nice John. The form has a exquisite, delicate feel to it. The details in the finial I like. I am sure that was tough to turn at that size. I like the wood, the color contrast and the finish. Nicely done! This will end up on WOW or other websites I am sure! Nicley done!

Jon Prouty
07-16-2011, 11:06 AM
This is cool... Very nice. I really like the finish on this piece and I imagine it feels as nice.

JP

Michael James
07-16-2011, 11:20 AM
WOW, I just roll out of bed and you already made this???? Exquisite piece there Mr. K. I used acrylic on my last elm piece over all the other stuff I had, steel wooled it back and was very happy with it. You guys are knocking these outa the park. Thanks for posting.
mj

Nate Davey
07-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Wonderful piece John. The stark contrast between the form and finial is breath taking. I would wonder if, once the bleaching was complete, you did a accenting dye to bring some of the swirl back and sand it back for the "whiteness"...... As Steve mentioned, I think the black edge is essential to give it some visual boundaries.

Robert McGowen
07-16-2011, 11:32 AM
I think that this is one of your better pieces for me. I really like the contrast in the colors.

Tim Thiebaut
07-16-2011, 11:39 AM
John this is just beautiful, I am glad the acrylic finial didnt work out, I think it works perfectly this way for this piece, as Steve said I can see this sitting in a gallery!

Roger Chandler
07-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I have been waiting for this debut, John. what a looker! Love that finial............especially since you were able to replicate the vase form in it............that is just way cool! The lighting on a couple of your pics make for a little wash out, but wow, the work is great.

I like the combination of woods...........and I like the fact that the stark white was toned a little to give it a bit of off white.....a much prettier concept I think.........the highlighted natural edge is fabulous as well.

I like the size of the foot on the base...........I think the upper part of the blackwood base could have been a little closer to the curve going down from the top of the main body........however, that may have made it too thin to be structurally sound, and would have taken away ballast from the bottom.

This is exquisite in concept, design, execution and shows your considerable skills very well. Keep 'em coming, John.......we never tire of seeing what your fertile mind conceives!

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2011, 11:52 AM
This is smashing! I'm thinking that the pedestal could be taller but I'm kinda obsessed with "too tall" pedestals so I guess it's just natural for me to think that. But this works. I have been waiting to see what you were going to do with the bleach. I think the "Kleen Strip" bleach was reformulated at some point and it's not as strong as it used to be. I used to get walnut to an almost white with only one application. This looks like bone (didn't someone else say that?). I like the black accent on the edge. And the small repeat of the form and base in the finial is sweet. Also really like the simple curve of the main form. I'm glad you didn't do the mask on this one. It would have distracted from the simplicity of the form which is one of the strong points of this piece. Maybe you can stash that idea away for another time. The "preview" I saw of it definitely has potential. And the acrylic finial would also have seemed out of place on this. So I'm glad you "back burnered" that one too. Overall, this is an excellent piece!

bob svoboda
07-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Nicely done indeed, John. The NE accents are a knock out.

mike ash
07-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Beautiful, just beautiful!!! I'm kinda with DD that the base could have been a smidgen bit taller. I gotta try one of these.

Jim Burr
07-16-2011, 12:34 PM
This over the top...again. Cool bleach thingy...may have to borrow that one!

David E Keller
07-16-2011, 1:40 PM
Very cool, John! The replication of the form in the finial is a nice touch, and I like the finial shape as well. Something about the pedestal doesn't work for me, but I'm having trouble articulating what it is... As DD said, perhaps it's the height. I also think the portion where the pedestal meets the form seems a bit bulky. Those are pretty tiny nits to pick! I love the bleaching effect and the B&W combo. What's next?

Ed Morgano
07-16-2011, 1:53 PM
John, I don't know why, but I always seem to get here after everyone else. It's all been said already and I agree 100%.... outstanding!

wes murphy
07-16-2011, 2:00 PM
Too awesome for mere words, Mr K. This one is outta the ballpark!

Toney Robertson
07-16-2011, 2:02 PM
Wonderful execution.

I really think that the little NE incorporated with the finial is cool. Nice touch.

Pete Jordan
07-16-2011, 2:07 PM
You created another wonderful piece! I didn't know Clorox was that expensive. What bleach did you use?

Scott Hackler
07-16-2011, 2:14 PM
John I really like the stark contrast in color here. The replica piece in the finial is awesome and suite the entire piece very well. The only problems I have is the pedestal. I dont mind the height but it looks a bit out of place because of it's thickness. Overall, though, I like this one and now I feel even more compelled to buy some wood bleach. Thanks David and John!!!

Curt Fuller
07-16-2011, 2:46 PM
John, this is a beautiful and creative piece of work. I love the finial with it's small inset vase. The only thing that isn't quite right to me is the base. It just doesn't seem to add anything to the overall piece. I could possibly benefit from being taller or with a wider foot. What a nice piece though.

Richard Kennedy UK
07-16-2011, 3:22 PM
What everyone else said x 100 wow! love the wood the contrast with the black is outstanding!

jwjerry w kowalski
07-16-2011, 3:28 PM
God that's a beauty, I like the contrast, usually I don't care for the look of bleached wood, but this one works. Very clean and soothing look, kind of relaxing just to look at it and very elegant. Fantastic job once again.

John Keeton
07-16-2011, 4:06 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words!! Sounds like the base is the main concern - I appreciate the comments and will keep that in mind for future endeavors.
What bleach did you use?Pete, the bleach is Klean Strip two part bleach. Amazon price is about $89, plus about $25 shipping. However, AFTER I bought it, I did find it cheaper a couple of other places. A little goes a long way, and I suspect the two gallons (gallon of each part) will last many years.

Randy Gleckler
07-16-2011, 5:15 PM
Really like this one as well. The natural top to these has always been interesting to me.

Marc Himes
07-16-2011, 5:37 PM
Another wonderful piece, John. The contrast with the rims and the visual "feel" of the white wood is very attractive. Well done.

Alan Trout
07-16-2011, 7:37 PM
John,

Overall and excellent piece that I really like looking at. Not that it makes a real difference but I would have made the foot just a little broader/wider and thin the center section of the base a bit, but that is just my style thing. I am always worried about knocking something over.

Well Done.

Alan

Fred Belknap
07-16-2011, 7:56 PM
John you sure have come a long way, don't seem to long ago you were getting advice on making some table legs.:):)

Bob Bergstrom
07-16-2011, 8:16 PM
That is stunning. The contrast is both vibrant and subtle. Just a matter of how one views it. The longer I studied it, the more I began to appreciate how the concepts come together. Thanks for sharing such a great work.

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-16-2011, 8:17 PM
Great form overall John & I love the colors. I do believe I would like to see the pedestal just a tad bit taller & thinner in the center. I don't mid small delicate bases as I feel these type of pieces are artistic & to be looked at not handled.

Eric Holmquist
07-16-2011, 9:01 PM
Brilliant design and execution. Like many have said, and I agree, that small inset vase in the finial was perfect.

Baxter Smith
07-16-2011, 9:15 PM
Very nice combo of colors and I especially like the lid and finial. Looking forward to seeing this on more than a cell phone.

charlie knighton
07-16-2011, 9:21 PM
very nice John, i like the black rim and the overall piece

Harry Robinette
07-16-2011, 9:37 PM
John the piece is unbelievable, shape,wood,bleach job,finial everything. But like David K the pedestal just don't seam complete or something.

John Keeton
07-16-2011, 9:51 PM
Thanks for all the followup comments! You all have me convinced on the base - I may attempt to remove it, and turn another. Never tried to release 5 minute epoxy before - any ideas??

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the followup comments! You all have me convinced on the base - I may attempt to remove it, and turn another. Never tried to release 5 minute epoxy before - any ideas??
John I wouldn't try to change this one. It's a great piece the way it is. Instead you can try a different base on the next one. If your not ready to retire from turning there will be a next one.

Jeff Krug
07-16-2011, 10:01 PM
John,
A really beautiful piece in all of it's execution. I am sure it is even more impressive to view in person.
Thanks for providing an aspiration to excellence for us all.....

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2011, 10:20 PM
"Never tried to release 5 minute epoxy before..."

I'm not sure how that would work. Maybe saw the base off and clean up the bottom of the form. I don't know if it's nuts but I would be tempted to grab the base in a chuck and part it off at slow speed. You could probably even leave a tenon on the bottom of the form...

Roger Chandler
07-16-2011, 10:26 PM

JOHN KEETON! ..........it my considered albeit humble opinion that you should make your design changes on the next piece, and leave this masterpiece to flourish on its own! Would Micheal Angelo repaint the Sistine Chapel? Duuuuuuude.........:eek:;):D

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2011, 10:40 PM
I must most strongly disagree. Mike probably repainted the ceiling a dozen times before he was done. Now if you were to try and repaint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, that might be a different story. I have no problem ripping a piece apart to improve on some small detail and have done it several times now with turnings. i say have at it!

Roger Chandler
07-16-2011, 10:45 PM
David.......I think you just like taking things apart and doing them over! :D:rolleyes:;) If one is in pursuit of perfection.........and that matters more than anything else............well then.........one could build and take apart numerous times before approaching any satisfaction..........I understand it, however, because I have a bit of that in myself! ;)

More power to him, if he decides to do it..........shore is "purdy" the way it is though!

Bernie Weishapl
07-16-2011, 11:27 PM
John don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. I love the form and the piece is just beautiful. Mary Ann said to tell you it was awesome.

David Reed
07-17-2011, 12:44 AM
John this is an exquisite piece. I really love the shape of the main body, this simplicity of design and the color (as in bone china) is perfect. Black accents of the rim only enhance the overall image. My first thought when you compared to DD's tuxedo was a penguin. Now we all love the penguin of course, but they are indeed thick bodied with stubby legs as repeated here with short squat base pedestal. Although it is a wonderful piece as it is, I agree with the 'rip into it' mandate. I like the thought of turning off the base to leave a tenon for a new one. Now I do think with the height to girth ratio and the finial proportions that it still would benefit from a fairly short base, but just a little more lift.......IMHO

Michelle Rich
07-17-2011, 8:19 AM
Delightful, divine, spectacular, awesome, elegant, bone color is wonderful..black highlights superb. just delightful John. A#1 16 thumbs up...You need to get serious and contact galleries...

Jeff Nicol
07-17-2011, 9:48 AM
John, I like the contrast and the little form in the final, not sure about the base yet, seems a bit small and not quite ornate enough for the whole thing. But great form on the main body and the finial. Just have to keep you grounded a little as you have advanced to a point where many turners hope to be in 5 years, in a much shorter period of time!

Always a pleasure to see your new pieces of art,

Jeff

steven carter
07-17-2011, 9:56 PM
Like some others, I like it all but the base. Could you make another base with a recess that the existing base would sit in to avoid taking it off?

John Keeton
07-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks all!

Steven, when you visit this week, we can discuss the issues with the base. I have decided to leave it as is and move on. This piece is fragile, and I don't think it would survive much effort at removal of the base.

Johnny Taylor
07-18-2011, 5:17 AM
John, This is great, the forced redesign has really worked in your favour! The little copy of the form that the finial emerges from looks the business! Personally I like the base, it sets up the fineness of the bleached form well.

Lionel Mercier
07-18-2011, 4:22 PM
Just an jousting lance, OK
I like the resemblance between the finial(white part) and the general shape
I like the contrast that gives the torn black edge.

Michael Short
07-18-2011, 4:55 PM
Spectacular !!!! I think this is your best one yet. The finial work is great on this project.

Chris Burgess
07-18-2011, 5:04 PM
Now this is what I strive for. Nice work.

Cathy Schaewe
07-20-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm a little late to the game, but I love it!