PDA

View Full Version : Acer Lebes

John Keeton
07-16-2011, 10:38 AM
David D. and Hart got me interested in a little better education on ancient forms. I wanted to do something a little less fragile than my other stuff, so I took a look at some Greek forms. One of them stood out to me - the lebes. Apparently, there are several, most of which have two handles.

However, I did find one form that is essentially a bowl on a stand that is used for either wine, or mixing of foods. Looked interesting, so I decided to use a piece of BLM burl from Northwoods that I bought at AAW, along with some Claro walnut from Mike Smith. The burl was a little damp, and had an absolutely hidden bark inclusion and void. The block was 5x3, and looked very solid - ya' just never know!

This one is 3.75" wide x 7.5" tall. Finish is BLO, shellac, and satin WOP buffed to a medium gloss. The wall thickness is about 1/8" except for the rim. The bark ran up into the rim, and I had to leave some wood there and add some CA to keep it connected. The burl dried pretty well as I was turning it, and within a day after turning, there was some distortion of the rim where the inclusion was.

Some comments about this one - I am all about smooth transitions from pedestals to forms, but I wanted this piece to appear as two separate units - a bowl sitting on a stand, even though the pedestal on this piece is connected.

And, I like thin (Scott - talkin' to you!), but again, I wanted the "stand" to appear to have some mass to fit the theme.

So, if the stand/pedestal just doesn't suit you, please feel free to say so, but that is why it is what it is.

Also, as often happens, I noticed some dust after getting the pics done! How come one can't see that stuff until then????

Steve Schlumpf
07-16-2011, 10:52 AM
John - very interesting form! Would be nice to see a shot of the historical piece you modeled this after. I have no clue of the various forms that are a part of history but find this one looks artistic and functional at the same time! The woods have a lot of character and their colors work well together. I also like your finish - not too glossy but it sure brings the wood to life!

Nice work - especially on a form that we don't see much of! Thanks for sharing!

Jon Prouty
07-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Interesting piece John. I am not sold on the finish being so high in gloss... This piece may be better with the sheen cut back a bit (could be the photos though, hard to tell in a photo). Just my two cents...

JP

Roger Chandler
07-16-2011, 11:58 AM
I think you accomplished what your design was............in my view, it is the artists' intentions for a work that should rule the day, not the perceptions of the onlookers!

I think you have a nice work here..........certainly worthy of further exploration on this type of form............since you intended the base to be a separately identified piece, it really speaks on its own...........the bottom of the base I think could have been 1/2" less in diameter and been great as well.........one thing it says as is........ "stability." The bark inclusion adds character, and up at the rim, I imagine that one gave you some "pucker factor."

Another nice piece, John..........hope you will do more of the lebes style.

Don Alexander
07-16-2011, 12:13 PM
excellent piece you achieved your stated goals very well

i really like the form of this including the pedestal the wood is gorgeous and the color combination and finish is spot on

Jim Burr
07-16-2011, 12:24 PM
It may be time to stockpile BLM and claro! I really like the lid sandwich. The rest ain't to bad either!

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2011, 12:37 PM
This is very different from your usual "delicate" forms. I really like the "jar" which, to me looks like a "ginger jar", and I really like the "stand". I just don't like them together. There is a good flow between the curve of the jar and the base but, to my eye, they do not really relate to each other. I would love to see the jar on it's own.

John Keeton
07-16-2011, 1:01 PM
Thanks for taking a look at this one. It is quite different from what I normally do.

This is a silhouette from a chart of Greek forms, and what I used as a guide on this one. The center line is just a line I made to get dimensions. Never could find the exact match in an actual form, but I preferred this one over the others I saw.

It is always interesting to see the reaction some turnings get - Ms. Keeton likes this one much better than The Black Lance. I prefer the artsy stuff, but this one was a quick and easy turning to do - and, BLM and Claro are such a nice pair.

Nate Davey
07-16-2011, 1:11 PM
I like your lid much better

David E Keller
07-16-2011, 1:47 PM
Interesting stuff, John. I know nothing of historical form except what I've learned from you folks.

You seem disappointed that there was a bark inclusion in that chunk of wood... I would have been ecstatic! :D

FWIW, I like the larger overhang and smaller knob on the inspiration piece, but I understand your interest in making it your own. Your finish and details are immaculate as always.

Ed Morgano
07-16-2011, 2:05 PM
John, I have a question about this one. Are the pieces separate? A bowl on a stand implies that they are separate. Just wondering if you made them so the bowl could be lifted from the stand. The piece is beautiful. There seems to be no end to what I'm learning here. Thanks.

wes murphy
07-16-2011, 2:11 PM
Right on the mark, as usual. Very nice piece John.

Scott Hackler
07-16-2011, 2:24 PM
John, I like this form as well. The overall concept is very nice and well executed. I think that if you continue this type of work, my suggestion would be to pull back just a bit on the coves and beads and go for a little less ornate pedestal. Studying the drawing you posted, there is a noticable void of "fancy" and I think by taming the pedestal design a bit it will lead the eyes to the globe portion and lid more. At risk of my personal reputation for the love of "thin" I think the thin portion of the pedestal is actually fine and suits the piece. (cant believe I just said that....)

Curt Fuller
07-16-2011, 2:41 PM
Very pretty John. If not for the void it would make an interesting urn, although small. I've made a few lidded pieces with voids and they've sold as potpourri dishes.

John Keeton
07-16-2011, 4:01 PM
Thanks for taking a look at this one - I know it is quite different, and it was even difficult for me to do the thicker base!! But, for what little I know of the original purpose of these things, I felt it appropriate.

John, I have a question about this one. Are the pieces separate? A bowl on a stand implies that they are separate. Just wondering if you made them so the bowl could be lifted from the stand. The piece is beautiful. There seems to be no end to what I'm learning here. Thanks.Ed, in this case, they are glued. I didn't want someone to think it was one piece and falter on picking it up. I do agree it would be neat to be two separate pieces. Not likely I would ever duplicate this one, but one could easily do something similar in two pieces.

Randy Gleckler
07-16-2011, 5:14 PM
John, I really like this piece you did an exceptional job on it. Really good job on the form.

Alan Trout
07-16-2011, 7:47 PM
I like the form. I also like experimenting with shape and I really like that you took the time to doe something a little different yet still put you own flair to it.

Well Done.

Alan.

Baxter Smith
07-16-2011, 9:30 PM
Different but I like it. Artistic but functional. At least it looks like it could be.

charlie knighton
07-16-2011, 9:30 PM
So, if the stand/pedestal just doesn't suit you, please feel free to say so, but that is why it is what it is.

seperately both are good, together they do not flow for me

Harry Robinette
07-16-2011, 10:04 PM
John
I really like this, you mite want to think a little more about the Greek shapes.

Michelle Rich
07-17-2011, 8:32 AM
ooohhh John, I hate to say this, but put your finger over the stand on the pictures,,,nice little box/lidded bowl, yes?? The stand is not needed. My humble opinion. Sorry Pretty tho

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-17-2011, 9:33 AM
John,
I am admittedly easy to please when I see a well shaped piece........Bowl or hollow form, just for clarity. I looked at both your new posts and they are a delight to the eye. Your shapes are always pleasing but since I consider myself a lousy finisher, I really enjoy seeing your crisp finials and immaculate finishes. Inspiration like these is one of the joys of SMC.
faust

Doug Reesor
07-17-2011, 9:33 AM
John,

I really like learning from classical designs. I agree with Michelle somewhat in so far as the base detracts a little from the vase form. As you commented on struggling a little with the base, I looked at it for some time to determine exactly what it was that distracted me. I think that it is the bottom half of the stand - the neck of the base is a bit thin and the bottom draws my focus away from the beauty of the vase itself. Perhaps if the neck was longer and the bottom flatter (as with you picture of the Greek shape) the effect would be a little different.

Doug

Bernie Weishapl
07-17-2011, 1:10 PM
Excellent John. I do like that form and the finish is outstanding.

Roger Chandler
07-17-2011, 2:29 PM
Geez.........this is a hard crowd to please! ;) After hearing the comments on this piece, John might stay away from Greek and go back to southwest style............or at least put his own spin on an original design.

John Keeton
07-17-2011, 2:38 PM
Roger, not to worry!! I decided to start my "epiphany thread" - perhaps that will ease your empathetic pain.

steven carter
07-17-2011, 9:51 PM
I think this piece is very good interpretation of Hellenistic form. I like the form very much and the finish is top notch.