PDA

View Full Version : Barn beams for bench legs? Dealing with pith?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-16-2011, 10:24 AM
There's a lot of places locally selling reclaimed lumber locally; some pretty decent deals at some places and some really bad ones at others.

A couple places specialize in carefully taking down old timber-frames and barns and such so as to repurpose the lumber; some of this wood is from the 1800s and older.

Looking at some old timber frame lumber at an architectural salvage place, it occurred to me that hey, if I came on the right deal, I could probably get most of the base of a bench out of this stuff considerably cheaper than the cost of lumber at other places, and probably start with something dryer.

I'd most likely lose any time I saved on laminating legs because I couldn't "cheat" and partially make my mortises and joints during the laminating process, but with my jury-rigged setup, past experience has proven four-squaring a large piece tends to be a bit easier than prepping long boards for glue up, because the weight of things help them hold still better.

Anyway, financial concerns still keep putting off this project, but I'm keeping my feelers out and gathering supplies as I can.

My question, I passed on a couple of potential legs, because they contained the pith. Old-growth Doug Fir from a reclaimed timber frame structure. The fellow was trying to tell me that since the wood was pulled from a structure from the early 1800's, it would have stopped moving and I wouldn't have the issues with reaction and movement that I would if I say, bought a 6x6 at the lumber yard. While I would expect it to be a whole lot more stable than a new piece of construction lumber, my experience leads me to believe that cutting joinery onto the end of a leg with the pith running down the center like that is going to lead to issues. But I've never worked with something like this before, either. Am I being overly cautious, or am I correct in avoiding this wood for now?

Mike Siemsen
07-16-2011, 1:41 PM
Joshua,
Heartwood as you describe can be a problem when drying wood as the wood will check someplace to eliminate stress as it dries around the heart. since your wood is already dry I am sure it has checked and relieved any internal stress that would have built up during drying. It really depends on if your bench is going to be a workbench or a piece of furniture disguised as a work bench. I am sure just about any sound timber will hold the top up, most of your issues will be cosmetic.
Mike

Peter Scoma
07-16-2011, 1:49 PM
Depending on the shape of your beams you can expect alot of time in the stock preparation phase. I'm building a roubo now out of reclaimed oak beams that I got for a price. My waste is about 50% and Ive spent more time pulling square nails and chainsawing than I would have liked. I also had a powder post beetle problem that I was able to get under control (fingers crossed) with timbor solution. The outcome is 6x6 massive legs and 3x6 stretchers. I was able to cut around most defects but there is more than enough character in this bench. I don't know if this issue is only related to oak or other older reclaimed lumber as well, but, this stuff is incredibly hard, much harder than any other oak Ive worked. I'm chopping the M&T's this afternoon and its been no easy task. For the top I'll be using newer stock from my supplier as I dont want any checks/voids in the work surface.

Good luck

PJS

David Keller NC
07-17-2011, 9:09 AM
Joshua - Mike S. is right on target. Reclaimed beams will make fine bench legs, pith or not. But whether you like them or not largely depends on your sense of aesthetics. Some folks I know would not think of putting any wood with a defect into a bench, and their benches tend to be film-finished, waxed, and are "ready for their close-up".

I beat my benches up way too much for that sort of aesthetic, so mine go unfinished and I'll gladly use wood with defects as long as the defects aren't in a bad place (like a knot in a place where a mortise needs to go).

The only downside to what you're considering is metal - many reclaimed beams have lots of nails and other "extras" that were used to hang tack. Generally speaking, if you're working with a firm that reclaims lumber for flooring and other uses, they should have a metal detector, and you will want to make use of that. Otherwise, you may wind up unintentionally jointing the teeth off of your handsaw with an unexpected nail buried under the patina.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I doubt the metal sensing on my overly expensive stud finder goes deep enough (although it did a good enough job finding the nails holding the lathe to the studs to help me find them in these thick plaster walls) but my father has one of these metal detectors you see guys on the beach using; I wonder if that would work well enough... Regardless, one of the places I'm looking at can check for that for me, and that was something I had taken into consideration. I've hit a nail before. It's a bummer when you just sharpened whatever hit it.

Pam Niedermayer
07-17-2011, 10:27 AM
One night Thor, the god of thunder, attended a party on cloud 9. He fell for a nice little valkyrie, and they returned to Thor's home. They proceeded to fornicate the night away. The next morning Thor felt great. He got up and started beating his chest, thus shooting lightening bolts everywhere, and he boomed "I'm Thor" at top volume. This woke the valkyrie. She leaned up on her elbows and said, "You're Thor? I'm so sore I can hardly pith."

Pam

David Keller NC
07-17-2011, 10:49 AM
I doubt the metal sensing on my overly expensive stud finder goes deep enough (although it did a good enough job finding the nails holding the lathe to the studs to help me find them in these thick plaster walls) but my father has one of these metal detectors you see guys on the beach using; I wonder if that would work well enough....

Actually, it will work better than one of the wands that the woodworking stores sell, particularly if it's a White metal detector. They have a range of up to about 3 feet, and a discriminator, so you can tell if it's an iron nail or a lead mini-ball (not that you'd care - I wouldn't want to hit a chunk of lead with my saw either).

David Keller NC
07-17-2011, 10:49 AM
One night Thor, the god of thunder, attended a party on cloud 9. He fell for a nice little valkyrie, and they returned to Thor's home. They proceeded to fornicate the night away. The next morning Thor felt great. He got up and started beating his chest, thus shooting lightening bolts everywhere, and he boomed "I'm Thor" at top volume. This woke the valkyrie. She leaned up on her elbows and said, "You're Thor? I'm so sore I can hardly pith."

Pam

Oooo... bad pun! :eek::eek:

Pam Niedermayer
07-17-2011, 3:26 PM
Oooo... bad pun! :eek::eek:

Yeah, well I managed to resist for a whole day. :)

And the last line really should read: I'm tho thor I can hardly pith; but I figured that was a bit much.

Pam