PDA

View Full Version : Re Grizzly Planer and Jointer

Kent Wagner
07-16-2011, 12:10 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase a Grizzly 15" planer and an 8" jointer. I definitely want spiral cutterheads with carbide inserts. I'm leaning toward a 453PX planer and a 490X jointer. From what the catalog gives in info regarding the number of inserts the spiral cutterheads installed appear to be their "German" T101 series cutterheads. I really would like to have the Byrd/Shelix heads but after contacting customer service they apparently are not available already installed, rather they have to be purchased and installed by the consumer. I think I might be able to do the installs as long as there are adequate instructions supplied (we all know how lacking machine manuals can be). I have heard these installs can be quite extensive. The 101 series heads are actually the more expensive of the 2. I've not heard anything negative about any of the spiral heads on any of these machines. I've talked to one guy who has the 656X jointer and absolutely loves it, and the Byrd isn't available for it. My question, after all this ramble, for those who may have researched this or actually own these: Would there be any advantage to buying the 4 blade cutterhead versions and upgrading to Byrds or stick with the "X" versions with the spirals already installed. Any knowledge or opinions welcomed! Thanks!!!

Mike Metz
07-16-2011, 12:37 AM
I have the 490x & 454z 20" planer with the spirals preinstalled.. I cannot comment on the Byrd cutterheads as i have not used them, but from having both of these machines for a couple of years now. i will tell you that the results are great, easy to adjust and the cutting edges stay sharp for a very long time (1 rotation on jointer, over 500bf & 3 years before needed. no rotation on planer as of yet only 1 year old though) These machines are worth the extra money. i considered doing the straight knife setup, but in the end the PITA factor made me spend the little extra cash up front and i have never looked back!

Tim Morton
07-16-2011, 6:31 AM
do you have the 10% off starting Wednesday coupon?

david brum
07-16-2011, 9:45 AM
I have a Shop Fox (white Grizzly) 8" jointer and older 15" planer. I upgraded both to Byrd heads last year. The jointer was relatively easy to change over. The planer was more of a project, requiring most of a day to change, plus more time to adjust and calibrate the feed rollers, chip breaker, etc.

In the end, I feel that the performance improvement was worth the expense and effort. No tear out, no blade changes, quieter, etc. The performance isn't perfect though. The finished surface isn't a smooth as what you'd get from fresh conventional blades. There is a slightly scalloped surface which still has to be finish sanded, with a touch more material requiring removal than with standard blades.

I personally bought the Byrd heads because they were the only available option for my machines. I haven't read any comments about Byrd heads actually working better. Guys who have both generally report the same results either way. The only argument I can think of in favor of Byrd heads would be future availability of replacement cutters. Even then, Grizzly is exceptionally good about providing replacement parts for older machines, although you'd have to rely on them as the sole provider of replacement cutters. If I were satisfied about future availability, I'm pretty certain that I wouldn't spend the extra time and money on Byrd cutters.

Cary Falk
07-16-2011, 10:31 AM
I have the Shop Fox W1741(G0490's borther) and the G0453z. I put a byrd head in the Jointer. It wasn't hard but a PITA. I can't imagine PITA it would be to put one in the planer. That is why I bought the planer with the head already in. As far as cutter availability, Shiraz Balolia said that they sell more spiral cutter heads then anyone else. I don't worry about abailability. Either they will continue to carry them or someone else will. OWWM people are fixing there busted up tools with Grizzly replacement parts so I think they are a better bet then most.

Kent Wagner
07-16-2011, 6:53 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I was actually about to pull the cork on the planer when I received my copy of WWJ with the 10% coupon on the inside cover. So while waiting for the coupon to kick in, I had decided to add the jointer as well. The coupon should just about offset the shipping costs. I really haven't heard anything bad about any of these machines, but I think I just needed some reassurance that I was going the right direction. Thanks again for the input!!!

glenn bradley
07-16-2011, 9:50 PM
If it helps I have the G0490X and the G0453Z (same machine as the "P", the green one was cheaper than the white one when I bought). My first Grizzly spiral machine was the G0490X and I was lucky enough to talk with folks who had a Byrd and a Griz (they only offered one Griz head at that time) in their shop. They reported no difference in performance on like woods so I just went with the Griz head already installed.

I am not sure about the variety of heads and insert patterns now available but my G0490X has 40 inserts and there are 74 on the G0453Z. The G0490X with the Griz spiral head worked so well I didn't even stress on it when buying the 15" planer. Both are working to all my expectations.

Kent Wagner
07-17-2011, 2:19 PM
Thanks Glenn! From the info I've received from talking to people and the posts here, I'm very confident in making this purchase. Now I just have to wait a few days for the coupon to become valid! Thanks again!!!

Ralph Butts
07-17-2011, 2:43 PM
I purchased a used G0500 and G453 on CL almost 6 months ago. I used the jointer for about a month with the stock blades, which were in good shape, but I never got the results I wanted. I purchased the Grizz spiral cutters for both units. Changing the jointer head was a piece of cake with a good straight edge and feeler gauges. The subsequent cut results were awesome and I would not hesistate to recommend the spiral cutterhead as a good investment. The planer has given me better results with the stock blades. Couple that with my impression that changing the head will be a real PITA after reading through the instructions the planer head is still in the shipping box in my shop. I guess once the stock blades get dull I will break down and change the head out. If I were buying new I would not hesitate to buy with the spiral head. The prices I paid for both units was a real CL deal so with the new heads I kind of feel like I got a new machine anyway.