PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about rust

Don Young
07-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Hey Forum friends,
Quick question for those of you who might keep and run their lasers in an "uncontrolled environment". I keep my 60 watt Jamieson in the garage where during the day the temperature here in Nebraska can reach 100 degrees with 80-90 percent humidity. Many of my working tools will rust in this setting but I keep my "baby" covered with a heavy blanket to keep the moisture from settling on it. Does anyone have any experience and/or advice as I ponder moving it inside where it can maintain a comfortable 70 degrees? No problems yet nor do I want any.
I have counted on you guys many times so please come through again.
Thanks,
Don

Mike Null
07-16-2011, 6:45 AM
Don

I can't offer anything scientific but I've been using lasers for 14 years in my basement where it's heated and air conditioned like the rest of the house. I've had virtually no problems with either of the lasers I've owned and I attribute that to keeping them in this environment and keeping them well maintained.

I suspect that the type of tube you have may be more susceptible to temperature and humidity variations than a sealed tube but that is only my conjecture.

Richard Rumancik
07-16-2011, 2:15 PM
You could find some small desktop fans and place one or two inside the bed to keep air moving if you are worried about condensation. Not sure how easy it would be to get some air on the mainboard and laser tube. That would help as well. Do you actually run it in a 100F environment? That would likely be pretty hard on the machine (and on the operator).

You could also consider placing a few kgs of desiccant on a tray below the table, so it is out of the way. Maybe you have space there. Some desiccants can be rejeuvinated after they have adsorbed maximum moisture by heating in an oven.

Dale Brown
07-16-2011, 3:24 PM
Sounds like you need a good dehumidifier. I put one in my garage several years ago and have never had any rust problems since.

Joe Pelonio
07-16-2011, 5:49 PM
I wouldn't worry about it unless you have rust issues with other tools like lathe, drill press and such. Most laser parts are of metals that don't rust easily, but to be safe, a dehumidifier could be a good investment even if only used on those humid days.

David Fairfield
07-17-2011, 8:44 AM
The professional shops I've worked in had climate control and dehumidifiers running year round. I think its part of good maintenance. Look into greenhouse supply catalogs for a thermostat controlled fan, inexpensive investment that might help to keep the temp down.

Dave