PDA

View Full Version : Incoming tool gloat!

Scott Hackler
07-15-2011, 8:46 PM
I have, in route, a McNaughton Center Saver! Its the older version but I think the really reasonable price makes this well worth it. I am not going to be doing a bunch of nested sets, but with a really nice chuck of wood it really pains me to put 3/4 of it on the shop floor in shavings! So I will be hitting Reed Gray up for a lesson/dvd (PM already sent) and we will hopefully have the coring tool about Tuesday. :)

charlie knighton
07-15-2011, 8:53 PM
good gloat, they have used tools in the vendor area now??????????

Alan Zenreich
07-15-2011, 8:54 PM
Glad to see you got that one (I'm assuming it's the one from the AAW site). Because I bought a WoodCut Bowlsaver recently, I decided to pass on the McNaughton, but I thought it was a good deal. In the event that you want to upgrade to the most current toolpost design, an upgrade kit is available for $165.

Harry Robinette
07-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Scott
I got my coring sys awhile ago and got all the DVD's,Bill G,Mike M and Reed's, Reed's is 50 times better then the others. I do what you want to do just keep from wasting the wood.Good luck and REMEMBER :DON'T HORSE THE TOOL,EASY EASY EASY.

Baxter Smith
07-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Congrats Scott! Thats the one I would have picked up if the oneway hadn't come with my lathe. Still may someday.

Jeff Nicol
07-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Scot, I have the the McNaughton and love it, so you can't go wrong with it! You will have a lot of fun with it for sure, keep us in the loop.

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Congrats Scott. I have no doubt we will see some beautiful bowls.

David E Keller
07-15-2011, 11:20 PM
That's great! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it once you've had a chance to take it for a little test drive.

Scott Hackler
07-16-2011, 12:03 AM
I can't say no to a good deal and to me (even though its the older design) $145 shipped is a pretty good deal! Yes, Alan, it it the one from the AAW forum. :)

Michael James
07-16-2011, 1:18 PM
pending attaboy congrats to alleged incoming gloat! :cool:
mj

Ed Morgano
07-16-2011, 1:46 PM
Congratulations Scott. I want one now! I agree, hate to put all those shavings on the floor. Especially with high dollar burls.

Pete Jordan
07-16-2011, 2:02 PM
Good luck Buddy!

When you know how to do work it I have seen some wonderful results. Especially Mike Mahoney. I have not been able to figure it out.

Josh Bowman
07-16-2011, 4:59 PM
You'll have fun with it. I have one and it took a little learning curve. Mike Mahoney was kind enough to give me a call and help me through some of the rough spots, as well as Reed. I think the key is to watch and see that it's going where you want it. It's NOT automatic to cut a curve. I wound up kind of cheating and put my Monster laser on it and no more problems!!!......I could easily see were it was going then. I guess to sum up my experience, enter the tip into the cut and keep kind of moving the handle a little back and forth and in and out to keep the cut clear and wide. Keep some (very little) "english" toward you with the handle to keep the tip cutting more shallow. My experience was, if the tool is just pushed in, it tended to wonder toward the lathes drive, then it would jam. Once I got the above kind of down, it was easy and kind of intuitive. It very satisfying not to have a huge mound of shavings to sweep up, that's worth it alone.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?152236-The-McNaughton-Coring-Monster&highlight=