PDA

View Full Version : Sundae Step by Step

David DeCristoforo
07-15-2011, 7:00 PM
Alrighty then. Here we go. This is my preliminary design. Open to any and all critiques, comments, advice, suggestions as well as guffaws and hails of derisive laughter.
I can already see that the transition at the top of the pedestal needs to be elongated (taller).

First step (someone asked for more detailed process shots so I am going to try and leave nothing out) was to get a tenon turned so I could flip the ham around. For some reason, I just cannot make shapes with the top facing the headstock!

So the ham is mounted and ready for torture.

I also "photoshopped" the ham so that I can superimpose my line drawing over it before I actually begin to cut the outside profile.

Nate Davey
07-15-2011, 7:13 PM
David, I'm sure you mentioned it before, but what program are you using for your design layouts?

David E Keller
07-15-2011, 7:16 PM
Is that a kosher ham?

David DeCristoforo
07-15-2011, 7:19 PM
"...what program are you using..."

Adobe Illustrator

"Is that a kosher ham?"

Wouldn't that be a "hem"?

Roger Chandler
07-15-2011, 7:44 PM
All I can say David is this..........if you pull off that drawing, then you will have an exquisite turning for sure..........I think you have the flowing curves and the proportions dead on. I really like the ogee shape, and the stem details are so artistic. I think you certainly have what is called the "artists eye."

After looking at that drawing 3 times, I just cannot find anything out of proportion or not flowing as to curves........the pedestal detail with the little upturned flair, just sets the features off. Man, I am going to have to learn how to use adobe illustrator.....is that a free program or does one have to purchase it? I don't ask because I am cheap,:D:rolleyes: I just am not familiar with it. ;)

Roger Chandler
07-15-2011, 8:00 PM
Hey David........with that pretty wood and all, I am just glad that you did not decide to do a "spittoon/ chamber pot parfait!" :eek::D;)

Tim Thiebaut
07-15-2011, 8:05 PM
I love the drawing of the shape you want, looking forward to this process.

David DeCristoforo
07-15-2011, 8:12 PM
"...Illustrator.....is that a free program..."

You gotta buy it. But there are open source apps that are pretty good if you want to save some dough. the best AFAIK is "Inkscape"

http://inkscape.org/

but if you "google" "open source drawing programs" or "open source graphics programs", you can find many others.

PS Not replying to any more wisecracks about spittoons...

Roger Chandler
07-15-2011, 8:17 PM
Thanks for the info! I enjoyed your own lighthearted banter about the "bowl' you turned......I noted your comments both here and on the WOW forum........no offense intended, just lighthearted banter. You do truly nice work.

John Keeton
07-15-2011, 10:18 PM
David, having done a couple of similar forms, I really look forward to this one! Love the plan! Is that more of the rosewood burl?

David DeCristoforo
07-15-2011, 10:24 PM
"Is that more of the rosewood burl?"

Nope. It's a Kosher hem. No... just kidding. It's rosewood burl... not the best piece but I like the way the heart kind of climbs up into the sapwood. It should be interesting. Your pieces and Robin's and Cindy's as well as many others who have done these are the obvious inspiration. As with the "parfait" I claim no conceptual authorship here. Just an "interpretation.

Baxter Smith
07-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Interesting...and waiting for more.....

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Interesting looking design. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2011, 5:36 PM
One of the key elements in this design is the wide flair at the rim. Also one of the hardest to get right. I've been sneaking up on it all day. I took some cell phone pics so that I could overlay my line and see how close I was. Here it's close but not quite there:

After a bit more work, it's about as close as it's going to get:

I started to define the inside of the rim, just to see what I was going to end up with for an edge:

Now I can go ahead and finish shaping the outside. I also "found" some nice bits of spalting in the sapwood near the top, an unexpected surprise that should add some character.

Marc Himes
07-16-2011, 5:52 PM
I like the design and the wood is great so I am looking forward to the finished piece but even more the photos of the process. Thanks for posting.

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2011, 5:54 PM
Well, at least it doesn't look like a hem anymore!

Richard Kennedy UK
07-16-2011, 6:25 PM
Looks great so far Looking forward to seeing more the wood looks amazing!

John Keeton
07-16-2011, 6:27 PM
David, I would say that is pretty much dead on the curve! Looking good.

Roger Chandler
07-16-2011, 6:50 PM
so far, so good!

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2011, 8:30 PM
I would love some input on this thought. I already decided that the transition piece at the top of the pedestal needed to be taller and a bit thinner at the waist. Overall I like the pedestal design and I'm pretty set on the finial. But I'm thinking about the bead details and the ball in the pedestal and considering making these out of the rosewood. I'm also not too happy with the upward flair on the base which looks good in cross section but will probably not read too well "in the round" since it will look like a recess instead of an upward flair and will most likely result in the bottom edge of the base looking very thick.

Roger Chandler
07-16-2011, 8:57 PM
David,

I am not so sure that you and I have the same tastes or eye for form [I wish I had one as developed as yours] but I like the one in the middle.....I don't see how you could go wrong on that one. I happen to think the upward flair on the base is dead on perfect.

I am glad you are sharing this process with us, including the design phase, and the decision process..........make sure you tell us why you do what you do........students want to learn the rationale, as well as see the end result! :)

Baxter Smith
07-16-2011, 9:20 PM
Looking good!

John Keeton
07-16-2011, 9:44 PM
David, I don't want to speak for everyone, but it seems most folks want this to be "your" piece, because that is part of the fascination. There are probably various changes some of us might make in this design, but then it would not be yours.

That said, here are things I might change - but, then it wouldn't be yours!!!

I like the rosewood insets, but they will make the sphere appear larger and more prominent - perhaps it could be just a smidge smaller to offset?? I pulled up both the original drawing and your last drawing for comparison. The "shoulder/rim" of the piece might do better if it were at the 2/3 point, requiring the finial to be just a bit (5/8" on my monitor) shorter. The three coves might do better if they were graduated more evenly. The top cove on the pedestal (below the sphere) appears as large, or perhaps just a little larger than the one below it, but the cove on the finial is very thin in comparison to the others.

I use the flared base feature often and like it - and, I like it on this one, too. If it bothers you, perhaps make it just a little thinner?? In that regard, the thickness of the flare at the top of the pedestal is thinner than the one on the bottom of the finial - perhaps graduate the three thicknesses??

David, these are just my rambling thoughts. Lord knows, I don't get these things right, and relying on my comments might not be the wisest move!!

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Oh don't worry, John. It will be my piece for better or for worse. But I'm learning as I go here, have been from the start. I really like to get input from others. I, like many turners, pretty much work alone so this is really my way of interacting with others. Ultimately I will decide what I want to do. I will continue to tweak these details right up until the moment I actually make them. And even then, they are subject to change. Your thoughts are valued as they were when I was doing the "Parfait" piece, even though I ultimately ended up ignoring most of them!

John Keeton
07-16-2011, 10:06 PM
...even though I ultimately ended up ignoring most of them!David, you certainly would not be the first person to ignore my thoughts! Happens on a daily basis.:D Ms. Keeton does humor me into thinking she isn't ignoring me - she has a kind heart and feels sorry for me!

Sid Matheny
07-16-2011, 11:50 PM
David I am looking forward to seeing this piece finished. Hope it comes close to your drawing. I am not very good at drawing a project on paper and ending up with what I wanted. Hope you have better luck.

Sid

David Reed
07-17-2011, 12:47 AM
One more stellar piece of art in the making. I could use just a slice of the trimmings of the hem if you could spare a bite.
signed,
anxiously awaiting...................