PDA

View Full Version : Some Wood to Burn and a Little to Turn

Baxter Smith
07-15-2011, 5:57 PM
When I got back from Maine earlier this week, I found a message on the answering machine asking if I was interested in a couple of oak trees. They had been taken down but not cut up. I dislike hot weather…but when the wood is free…..so what if the heat index is 100+.:) Since my son had the day off and he says he likes the heat…. I let him supply the muscle for the first two loads.
Had to recruit his mother for the rest.
The heat must have taken its toll because after three loads the first day, I only managed two loads the second and one by the third.
Just wish she had shown me she knew how to hold a chainsaw a little earlier.
Should have this winter covered.
Saved a few pieces for turning as well.
Couldn’t get motivated this morning to go get more (and Ineeded a turning fix)

Roughed out one of the 4 red oak blanks I had saved. Ended up at 17, 13 and 9.5. The blanks are big enough for 20+ but I wanted to get rid of the sapwood and as many of the bugs as possible.

Still need to make a handle for my new Thompson 5/8 V that I ordered in Saint Paul. Just stuck it in the handle of my oneway corer for today. Had to stop once and give it its first sharpening so I guess the 15V is not all its cracked up to be. ;):)

Tim Thiebaut
07-15-2011, 6:37 PM
Not only is that stack of wood enough to make someone jealous, but the fact you just got back from the most beautiful state in this country...and my true home, makes me even more jealous!!!

Jerry Marcantel
07-15-2011, 7:03 PM
Baxter, that's a lot of wood, and stacked up pretty darn neat there, Bud.... Stay warm, and that's a few nice turnings you started.... Jerry (in Tucson)

David E Keller
07-15-2011, 7:11 PM
How'd you convince Keeton to come over and stack all that wood?

David Warkentin
07-15-2011, 7:42 PM
Guess it is true that fire wood warms you twice isn't it?:rolleyes:

Roger Chandler
07-15-2011, 7:52 PM
Pretty sweet haul there Baxter.........how many cords do you think you have there? I like those bowl forms...........I also see some hollow form blanks there! Good stuff, and for what it is worth........my wife cannot help me with things like that........your wife deserves a nice dinner out for that one.........your son as well!

You can tell her I said so! :D Oh yeah........you have to pay!!! :D:p;)

charlie knighton
07-15-2011, 9:03 PM
Baxter,

super wood stack, bowels nice also, put some blanks in cardboard boxes for 4 to 6 months, do you do anything to keep the oak from cracking while turning

good looking family, and they work too, looks like yall have done this before

Donny Lawson
07-15-2011, 9:22 PM
Nice stack of wood. I wish I had half that much. Looks like you will be warm this winter.

Baxter Smith
07-15-2011, 10:16 PM
... Bud.... Stay warm....
Not a problem at this time of year Jerry!

How'd you convince Keeton to come over and stack all that wood?
David, I had to promise him a chance to turn a "BOWL" out of a "WET" piece of wood on a "REAL" lathe.;):)

Guess it is true that fire wood warms you twice isn't it?:rolleyes: AT least twice! It gets stacked in the woodshed next, then in the garage, before it even makes it to the stove!

Baxter,

....do you do anything to keep the oak from cracking while turning

Charlie, this is the first green oak I have turned. The only other piece of red oak was the little bowl sitting on top in the picture. Turned that last year from a piece of leftover 2x6 sawn in 1984. Was pretty dry. I anchorsealed these bowls right after I took the picture. Will put them in paper bags or boxes as well for the next couple of months since it is so hot here.

....how many cords do you think you have there? ....QUOTE]Enough for next winter I hope. The wife likes it warm!

[QUOTE=Tim Thiebaut;1741830]Not only is that stack of wood enough to make someone jealous, but the fact you just got back from the most beautiful state in this country...and my true home, makes me even more jealous!!!
Don't know if this will make you feel worse or better Tim. I wasn't doing much sweating a week ago.:)

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Congrats Baxter. That is one haul of wood. I just got around to turning some oak I have had for about 4 months. It was checked pretty bad on the ends even with 2 coats of anchorseal so the bowls were smaller than I wanted. Lesson learned turned as soon as possible.

Jeff Nicol
07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Baxter, You look like you put in a lot of work cutting and splitting that oak. I went out to my land to check on my deer trail camera for the big bucks in the pouring rain and I found at least 5 big oaks and a couple of red maples blown down or broke off. So to add them to the other 7 that were down from an earlier storm I have a ton of wood to cut now too! I am not looking forward to it but will have to soon. Next week is supposed to be in the 90's so it will not be then as I hate hot too like you!

Nice work on the bowls and the wood pile,

Jeff

Michael James
07-15-2011, 11:17 PM
oh yeah, you guys have real winters! I see all those stacks when I visit up in your neck and I'm glad I can skip that exercise. Nice start of the bowls
mj in nm where we have 4 MILD seasons :)

John Keeton
07-16-2011, 7:43 AM
Baxter, just so everyone will know - I WAS NOT involved in stacking that wood. A close inspection indicates that some of it is stacked with inconsistent grain orientation!!!!:eek::eek:

I can't have my name associated with work of such a low caliber!;):D

Love the pics, but do notice that apparently you are head photographer - and Ms. Smith and son are the laborers. Must have learned that from Ken Hill!

Good stash of wood and some very nice roughouts.

Baxter Smith
07-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Bernie, I split a lot that was turnable but knew I wouldn't get to itanytime soon. Cut 3 more loads and kept a few nice white oak pieces that I hope to get roughed out on Monday. Have to take my helper to the beach tomorrow. Would rather be turning.......... but.....or even cutting wood in the heat!
Jeff, sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Firewood, turning blanks, lumber, or all three?
John, I am sure no one mistook those crooked stacks for your work. Not to mention those rotting remnants strewn around!