PDA

View Full Version : Two new projects (pics)

Dan Gill
02-16-2005, 9:44 AM
Here are the medicine cabinet I just finished and got installed, and a doll shelf I made for my daughter at Christmas and just got around to photographing.

The medicine cabinet is soft maple that I purposely chose for the dark grain streaks. It's my first time to use my Keller jig for casework dovetails. The finish is three coats of semi-gloss Minwax poly, to match the rest of the bathroom cabinetry. The mirrors came from a cheap MDF cabinet I put in a few years ago. I just ran regular cope and stick for the doors, beveled the edges of some 1/8 inch hardboard with a sander, and used this to back the mirrors.

The doll shelf is painted pine, designed by my daughter (with a little help) to hold her big and little American Girl dolls.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Great job Dan. I like the different size doors and the wood is beautiful. I don't remember seeing soft maple looking that good. Dovetails look great too.

Jerry Olexa
02-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Nice job, Dan AND you're a good Dad!!

Doug Shepard
02-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Muey beuno! The different size doors is an interesting twist. Did you do that just because it looked pretty cool, or was there a physical reason behind that? Like maybe there's not enough room on the RH side to open a bigger door all the way? Or maybe a pic of the interior would make it clear. Just curious.

Dan Gill
02-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Muey beuno! The different size doors is an interesting twist. Did you do that just because it looked pretty cool, or was there a physical reason behind that? Like maybe there's not enough room on the RH side to open a bigger door all the way? Or maybe a pic of the interior would make it clear. Just curious.

The doors are the size they are because the mirrors are the size they are. They came from an existing cabinet I got from the Borg. I always thought the mirrors were the best part of that cabinet, so I re-used them. I had the knobs on that cabinet, too, although I bought them from LV when I put in my bath vanity and linen pantry doors.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-16-2005, 10:38 AM
The cabinet looks great! The two different size doors really make it unique.... I like it!

Jason Tuinstra
02-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Dan, nice job on the cabinet and the piece for your daughter. My daughter is really into American Girl Doll stuff as well. So thanks for the idea!

Keith Christopher
02-16-2005, 2:29 PM
I love the work ! Outstanding ! My daughter went through the American Girl doll phase back a year ago. I built something but no where near as nice. Very well done. I think you have a market there for that doll holder. Go to a couple of craft shows with the dolls in them. ;)

John Gregory
02-16-2005, 2:58 PM
Nice work!

Wayne Bracy
02-16-2005, 6:05 PM
Nice work Dan, I know which one your Daughter likes the best....